Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Jowood/1C games

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rpgcodexusername, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rpgcodexusername Arcane

rpgcodexusername
    There seem to be a fuckton of RPG/Strategy games on gamersgate under this publisher,
    which get the codex seal of approval?
    A lot of them dont seem to have online reviews

^ Top  
  2. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Space Rangers
    Kings Bounty
    Men of War

Actually I noticed on Gamersgate that A Farewell to Dragons is available, is it any good? I heard bad things about it but it's similar to BG.

^ Top  
  3. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    HAMMER & SICKLE, the straight cousin of that limp wristed fun romp called "silent storm".

^ Top  
  4. Angelo85 Magister Patron

Angelo85
    Oh yeah A Farewell to Dragons is lulzworthy.
    JoWood also published an 'ambitious' RTS/RPG hybrid game series called SpellForce. Might look into that if you're into the Genre.

^ Top  
  5. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    A Farewell to Dragons main protagonist dude looks like Jeff Goldblum. That is all.

^ Top  
  6. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I found Spellforce to be pretty boring. I see what they were trying to do but it didn't hold my interest at all. It's just a really shallow/dumbed down RTS with light/inconsequential RPG elements.

^ Top  
  7. Codexlurker Savant

Codexlurker
    If you thought SF1 was dumbed down, try SF2. They basically made condensed the races into three 3groups. Anyway, yea, SF wasn't anything special except for the rpg elements.

^ Top  
  8. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess w/ Crossworlds expac owns all.

^ Top  
  9. spectre Arcane

spectre
    From what I played published by JoWood:

Spellforce looked like it had potential as an rpg/strategy hybrid, but eventually felt tedious and boring.

The Guild is an interesting concept, somethin like the Sims Medieval focused on power struggle and intrigue, the dark side of politcs.
    Unfortunately, the game's broken as fuck. It would make a wonderful LP material and a larp-fest though if that's your thing.

The Silent Storm series is a pretty damned good turn based tactical game, heavy on RPG. I would definitely recommend the first one and Sentinels. Hammer and Sickle is acquired taste. More RPG-focused, less freedom. It is also unforgiving - easy to lose the game without realizing it.
    There were folks saying the minor sci-fi elements appearing at endgame ruin their immershun, so it's best if you don't expect straight realism.
    Overall, it's worth checking it out for the desrtuctible environments. It was pretty impressive for its time.

When it comes to 1C, I only played theMen of War series and the first King's Bounty.
    I realize lot's of people swear by it, but to me KB felt like it wanted to rip off HoMM and failed. Still, it's a solid game that can be challenging at times.

Men of War series is again acquired taste. It started off as a combat oriented Commandos clone (tke these two men and a pen-knife and kill that panzer division stealthily), then it evolves into a more typical WW2 rts.
    It has a nice physic angine and a pretty damned good (for RTS) damage model based on armor penetration and individual component damage. Also, purdy destructible terrain.
    My main gripe with it is the controls - more suited to a smaller scale guerilla warfare (the game tracks down inventories of each unit - you can even loot enemy bullets and rifles if you run out), but the later games adopt a much larger scale.

^ Top  
  10. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    You did that with the express intent of provoking me? :x

:P

^ Top  
  11. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    There's a special buttonawesome in the beginning of the game to turn those sci-fi elements off.

^ Top  
  12. spectre Arcane

spectre
    ^ Top  
  13. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Why taking the panzerklein away? It's the only challenging thing in the whole game.

^ Top  
  14. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Strange. I remember playing SS and there was some kind of option to manage "real" and "alternative" history with panzers and lasers. Maybe that was russian version feature only. Or maybe panzers were still there, but lasers not...

^ Top  
  15. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    The point still remains that once you get the gist of how shit is done, game gets quite easy. They put the panzerkleins because at that point there was no real challenge to the player, I would assume.

^ Top  
  16. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
  17. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Just FLY, The Guild : Renaissance isn't broken anymore, I have it and it's great. I find this LP is pretty good at getting you excited for it.

^ Top  
  18. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    So nobody here played hammer & sickle after finishing silent storm, but wanting more, as it is customary?

^ Top  
  19. InspectorRumpole Prophet

InspectorRumpole
    King's Bounty is excellent fun.

^ Top  
  20. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    The Panzerklein in SS series is rageinducing to a lot of people, but not me. I consider them a challenge to overcome not an immershun-breaker.

Silent Storm, and SIlent Storm Sentinels are turnbased squad-based, RPG games in the veins of Jagged Alliance 2 and Fallout Tactics. Hammer Sickles is the RPG-heavy version of Silent Storm.

And yeah, they are very good, a must-play recommendation. IT's a damn shame the devs are basically busted now.

^ Top  
  21. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    THANK YOU! So somebody DID play it. I was almost about to get dissapoint in the whole Codex.

Single tear of joy indeed.

^ Top  
  22. WetWorks Arcane Patron

WetWorks
    Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
    SS is the shit. Next best thing to ja2.
    There is a mod out there which removes the sci-fi elements.

Hammer & Sickle had a lot of promise, but the constraints of the gameplay were pretty annoying.

A shame ss modding never really took off.

^ Top  
  23. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Annoying, but also suitably harder. And it was the first squad-based tactical game in a long time that forbade me my usual one-man-army playthrough.

^ Top  
  24. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Tried Guild 2 back when it was first released. I kinda liked it, but it was way too buggy and my computer too shitty to try properly. What does this Guild : Renaissance add to the game ?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.