Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just finished Shadowrun:HongKong,here is some opinions.

pazzpazz

Novice
Honestly I pretty enjoy playing it. I am not a native English speaker and my English is really bad,I even need play it with a dictionary:shredder:,Consider probably 80% of the playing is reading,but I have nothing to complain about it.

Shadowrun series by HBS is my first Cyperpunk RPG(well if you consider deus:ex is a rpg then deus:ex is my first),the world setting is very interesting:"Cyperpunk with magic" , despite the Shadowrun:Return is probably the weakest game in the trilogy(And seems you needn't to buy it,you can just play it in Shadowrun:HongKong as a mod campaign),the world setting and lore is enough keep me to finish it.

I agree Shadowrun:Dragonfall probably the best game in the trilogy,but I don't think HongKong is worse than Dragonfall(they basically follow the same structure:start with main story->do some side quest->talk to some Npc or your companion->finish main story)but I really don't like the bonus campaign in HongKong,is too short and the ending is.....Arbitrary?I think?

Here is some pro and con
pros:
1.Like I mention earlier,interesting world setting and lore
2.Interesting companions,not everyone but at least some are interesting,some will interact with the dialogue and some will affect the way you play the mission,not some combat dummy in some rpgs(I remember there is no companion in Return?)
3.Good writing,at least I think is good enough for me. there is almost no graphic in this game,nearly all of the delivering is by writing(well the best graphic engine is your imagination, right?)
4.Music is good
5.A lot of NPCs have their own story(both Dragonfall and HongKong,I think HongKong is better) ,remember to check your computer and talk to everyone after you finish a mission(the forum post about looking for decker is hilarious)
6.Main story and side quest are interesting in Dragonfall and HongKong,at least unique(I can’t remember if there are side missions in Shadowrun:Return,I finished it at least 5 years ago)

con:
1.Unbalance,not every class is equity,it become much better in HongKong but still unbalance,decker and shaman is.............
2.Combat is kind of boring,definite not a selling points for me,the metrix part is always boring to me even in HongKong
3.The game play is basically click and read,but I can accept it
3.Bug,I remember I encounter a lot of bug in Dragonfall, recommend save frequently in every game.
4.Not have many choice,especially in Return.And in HongKong you MUST have a brother and anytime you talk to him you need to talk about your past which is you almost can't decide(I feel a little bit awkward everytime I talk to him:deathclaw:)
5.The ending in HongKong is a meth

Summary: I think is worth a try,recommend start with Dragonfall

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom