Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ken Rolston Comes Out Of Retirement With Big Huge Games

KreideBein

Scholar
Platform designations for the upcoming game have not yet been announced (though it is noted as a console RPG)

Can't say that I'll be too interested in it, then. It's too bad that he's not going to be making a CRPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Same shit, different pile.

Consoles *are* computers.

Game over.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:

Game over.

There is a fucking difference between a PC and the PS, XBox and anything Nintendo, idiot. Consoles might be computers, but they are not PCs. By CRPG she meant an RPG for the PC. Don't act like an ignorant dumbfuck.

dagorkan

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
By CRPG she meant an RPG for the PC. Don't act like an ignorant dumbfuck.

The 'C' in CRPG can mean console as well. Don't act like such a dumb little copycat nazi. "I'm just following orders" won't cut it. Heil VD!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dagorkan said:
JarlFrank said:

The 'C' in CRPG can mean console as well. Don't act like such a dumb little copycat nazi. "I'm just following orders" won't cut it. Heil VD!

KreideBein said:
(I'm assuming that this is directed toward me.) By CRPG, I don't mean console RPG, I mean computer RPG.

Volourn said:

Game over.

Read your context.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
dagorkan said:
JarlFrank said:

The 'C' in CRPG can mean console as well.
"Can" doesn't mean "does". What's next? CRPG also means cellphone RPG, because C can mean cellphone as well?

Don't act like such a dumb little copycat nazi. "I'm just following orders" won't cut it. Heil VD!
*rolls eyes*

Micmu

Magister
Vault Dweller said:
"Can" doesn't mean "does". What's next? CRPG also means cellphone RPG, because C can mean cellphone as well?
CRPG = cellphone rocket-propelled grenade

Volourn

Pretty Princess
CRPGs are for computers which consoles very much are. The only difference is that consoles are focused/specialized computer designed specifically (well.. that's kinda changing) for games.

Deal with it, FUCKAS SUCKAS!

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
CRPGs are for computers which consoles very much are. The only difference is that consoles are focused/specialized computer designed specifically (well.. that's kinda changing) for games.

You're being deliberately obtuse again. You know very well that "CRPG" is a marketing term that refers specifically to computers, not consoles. You can tilt against windmills all you like in an attempt to fundamentally redefine this term, but it's hardly fair to make fun of other people for using the definition upon which maybe 99.9% of the market agrees.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not all computers can play all games. Not even on the PC. Dumbass.

suibhne

Erudite
You didn't understand a word I wrote, did you?

It's okay, I'm trained to be sensitive to that sort of thing.

suibhne

Erudite
Nobody's arguing that consoles aren't computers. We're arguing that "CRPG" doesn't mean "console RPG", and that "computer" colloquially means PC in this usage.

Otoh, Wikipedia seems of two minds on the subject: "computer role-playing game" does not include consoles to Wiki, but the Wikids also seem to think that "console role-playing game" is "often abbreviated CRPG" (which I've never seen before). W/e.

obediah

Erudite
Volourn said:

Game over.

A better observation would have been:

These days, Computers *are* consoles.

Luckily there are still a few exceptions. I've been playing Afterlight and having fun with it. The strategy portion of the game has been improved quite a bit, and the tactical combat isn't too bad. I've been having a blast with my newly researched shotgun. :) My favorite combat moment was when I had two snipers laying on the edge of a ridge overlooking a village. A beastman threw a grenade at them which blew one of them over the edge. Good stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom