Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ken Rolston's Big Huge Games RPG cancelled

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Ken Rolston's RPG

<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18509">Remember this</a>? I don't either but apparently it's now been cancelled because Big Huge Games have gone under. <a href="http://kotaku.com/5204841/what-were-big-huge-games-working-on-and-have-they-found-a-buyer">However, they've released a bunch of artwork and a movie at Kotaku</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The other looked more ambitious. Called Ascendant, it was intended to be an epic fantasy RPG title for the PC, 360 & PS3. It appears Ascendant was a little further along than God: The Game, since it has screenshots and even a rough, rough cut of a trailer (which you can see below), but like the Wii title, it looks to be clutching its visual inspiration - in this case Fable - a little too close to the chest.
<br>
<br>
With the studio either up for sale or on the verge of closure, though, both of these projects have been cancelled. You can take a look at the art assets and screenshots below.</blockquote>
<br>
"Epic"? Nuts, I'm sure it would've been awesome. <a href="http://kotaku.com/photogallery/ascart/1007871485">Your shoulder pads even got bigger as you levelled up</a>! How cool would that be? Awesome-cool. That's right. Kotaku has a bunch of screenies so be sure to <a href="http://kotaku.com/5204841/what-were-big-huge-games-working-on-and-have-they-found-a-buyer">follow the link</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Arcanoix

Scholar
Ken Rolston, TEH LEAD DEV ON OBLIBBIIOONN!!!!???

Good I say. The Industry just became a better place. Knowing his shitty game won't hit the market is probably enough for me to fap to tonight. WOOT! :wink:

Monolith

Prophet
Looked like it's far advanced in development. Or was. Canceling it surely must pay off. Oh well, can't say I was looking forward to it, but still, another one bites the dust.

Globbi

Augur
I don't think it could be much better than Oblivion but the art is not bad and they must have dont quite a lot. I can't believe this game wasn't worth finishing (considering financial aspect), even if it meant big loans.

Or maybe they finished just a few models and had no ideas for the whole game.

Morbus

Scholar
Monolith said:
Looked like it's far advanced in development. Or was. Canceling it surely must pay off. Oh well, can't say I was looking forward to it, but still, another one bites the dust.
Lol, it was probably gonna be an action game with "RPG" elements... Who cares?

Well, besides those who lost their jobs, of course... Pity for them, but they'll get some other, I think. As long as they don't have the same degree of qualification bethesda's employees have, they'll be alright.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually beth level of qualification is an ok level in industry right now, so a more competent (read 90% of developers) developer won't have problem finding a new job.
Considering that Beth outsources everything and then has problems with a ready-to-use material.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanoix said:

Good I say. The Industry just became a better place. Knowing his shitty game won't hit the market is probably enough for me to fap to tonight. WOOT! :wink:

Uhm, you do know that he actually left Bethesda because he didn't have as much influence in Oblivion anymore and he didn't like how it turned out?
He was the lead designer of Morrowind, though. Morrowind was mostly his work. Oblivion wasn't.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Kind of a shame. I'd have probably never played it as most fantasy RPGs don't do anything for me... but all the same, that's a lot of work and money to sink into something only to have it crumble beneath your feet.

Seboss

Liturgist
I actually was looking forward to it. Kinda.
Ken Rolston did a nice enough job on Morrowind.

Luzur

Good Sir
JarlFrank said:
Arcanoix said:

Uhm, you do know that he actually left Bethesda because he didn't have as much influence in Oblivion anymore and he didn't like how it turned out?
He was the lead designer of Morrowind, though. Morrowind was mostly his work. Oblivion wasn't.

nothing wrong with Ken, really. its Todd and Pete we must watch out for. those sneaky gnomes. *takes out multiheaded-dick of flabbergasting +10*

buccaroobonzai

Scholar

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
JarlFrank said:

Interesting. I was always wondering what went wrong between Morrowind and Oblivion. I was convinced Oblivion would be Morrowind with decent NPCs, and was actually looking forward to it. Eventually, I was certainly not the only one who was incredulous when first seeing it, and then turned very angry. (?)

So do you think Ken Rolstons departure could have been an important factor in that?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GlobalExplorer said:
JarlFrank said:

Interesting. I was always wondering what went wrong between Morrowind and Oblivion. I was convinced Oblivion would be Morrowind with decent NPCs, and was actually looking forward to it. Eventually, I was certainly not the only one who was incredulous when first seeing it, and then turned very angry. (?)

So do you think Ken Rolstons departure could have been an important factor in that?

As far as I know, he left Bethesda after Oblivion was finished. But he didn't have as much to say in its development as he had with Morrowind. Most of the design on Oblivion was done by the new kids on the block, and maybe the big guys like Todd wanted the game to be more mainstream-centered. After Oblivion, Rolston left because he was not satisfied with how the game turned out and he didn't like how the company had changed.
So I think his voice not having been as important in the development as it was in Morrowind's development was probably one reason why Oblivion turned out like it did.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Regardless of how Oblivion turned out, Rolston proved he was a capable designer with the very good Morrowind. Would have liked to seen more of this game.

Twinfalls

Erudite
^ fucking moron it looks nothing like Oblivion.

I was all set to say 'what a shame', because I'd assumed Ken Rolston would have lent it some old-school sensibilities, if not mechanics. Then I looked at those screenshots and the trailer. Dear gods, aping Fable is as low as is clinically possible. So the world will have one less game where swords are swung with a great blue *swish*. Truly I WEEP!

Arcanoix

Scholar
Having done some homework on Rolston, I realize I was wrong in my "FIRST POST zOMG", and I take back what I said. But still, he's known for OBLIBION when it comes to the mainstreamers. Sad way to go.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Well regardless of the RPG it's sad to see Big Huge Games go down. They made some really nice strategy games in the years before.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
buccaroobonzai said:
Curt Schilling is a big Everquest fan, ha!

If I recall correctly, he used to (and possibly still does) write the Everquest product reviews for the American version of PC Gamer. Pretty decent reviewer, too.

This whole thing really does get sadder and sadder the more I think about it. I mean, it's really impossible to say whether or not the game would have been good or bad, but it looked to be in the mold of a proper RPG at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom