Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Champions work a lot better with mobility gear, like teleport ring, +tp on kill, or -mv cost.
The nerf hit them hard, but Balan or Lanval can tank just a well as Mordred with defensive stance while dealing more AoE damage that scale on kill.
Balan has great damage and Lanval has stun+taunt.
I don't bother with defenders except when I need to bring mordred(act 3, very hard).

Vanguards are great, but only for single target damage, and they cannot tank at all.
Mordred murders things in my game. Lightning, Chain Lightning, Charge. He also gets that heal on attack skill that Champions don't get. With +AP gear, he is the Energiser bunny.
I was very disappointed in Mordred, but now that I got to items(armor and sword) that provide %damage on missing vitality, I will see how well he fares (it should roughly double his damage if I can keep him at 30% VP).

On a side note, I hate that the game encourages you to swap titles every turn (like, Court chandler: get + relic on Merchant with Sir Bors, then - build points on constructions with Sir Brunor, then to get a discount on items with Sir Yvain...).
Granted, it is pretty minor, but still it feels like I am gimping myself by not using extreme tedium.
I would never use items like that under any circumstance. Any item that requires me to be injured badly in order to take effect is a bad item by definition. For Mordred, just get the +15% chance to double damage weapon and give him the +10% double damage potion. He can quite reliably nuke things at range with those.
oh, the idea is to get him injured once, and never heal him(apart from the potential injuries). Not get him under 30% every mission.
The dual HP system of the game makes it pretty convenient to use, and his +HP on hit makes that even more of a non issue.

CoronerZg

Augur
Vanguards are great, but only for single target damage, and they cannot tank at all.
You should try Balin after the latest "rebalance" patch. Now he can do a solo cleanup of the whole battlefield
crossing insane distances. He has the Juggernaut ability now... and Dash... and Charge... and Jump... and
Jumping attack. And ALL of those count for the Juggernaut modifier. It's so dumb and ridiculous :lol:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You should try Balin after the latest "rebalance" patch. Now he can do a solo cleanup of the whole battlefield
crossing insane distances. He has the Juggernaut ability now... and Dash... and Charge... and Jump... and
Jumping attack. And ALL of those count for the Juggernaut modifier. It's so dumb and ridiculous :lol:
It is, but these Sidhe have vision over the whole map, and he cannot stand the heat. I do use him a lot, but his brother is a lot better at not getting bruised.

Mordred recovers vitality at the end of every mission though, doesn't he.

That's a shame. That makes him the worst recipient for this combo, but I booted all the other defenders because bringing a one hander to an armored fight is a big no in my book.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

That's a shame. That makes him the worst recipient for this combo, but I booted all the other defenders because bringing a one hander to an armored fight is a big no in my book.
Mordred is less about his one-hander and more about his lightning and charge. He is a tank and battlefield control rolled into one. Use other people for pure damage.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Mordred is less about his one-hander and more about his lightning and charge. He is a tank and battlefield control rolled into one. Use other people for pure damage.
That is true, but his lightning skills can still benefit from damage boosts, right?

Cael

Arcane

That is true, but his lightning skills can still benefit from damage boosts, right?
Yes, but I use them more as armour deleter or helping nail the enemy backline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here we goooooooooooo:

Huh, just now realized that this is a standalone title.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2739830/view/4197991893252983358

King Arthur: Legion IX - Release Date Announcement!

Ave!

We're happy to announce the release date of our upcoming tactical RPG, King Arthur: Legion IX: it will be available on Steam first in about a month, more precisely on May 9, 2024! The game is set on the very same Avalon you might know from King Arthur: Knight's Tale, but instead of Mordred, it follows Gaius Julius Mento, the tribune of the infamous Legion IX.

You can enjoy this game as a standalone experience, however, if you missed out on Knight's Tale, now is a great time to learn more about it as it's on sale (60% off) on the Steam Turn-based Festival.

So that you can really get into the mood properly, we have also prepared an announcement date trailer!

A new threat looms over Avalon as the long-lost, infamous Ninth Legion of Rome has set foot on the mythical island. Their commander, the fallen hero, Gaius Julius Mento was granted a demonic legion by their dead emperor, Septimus Sulla to find a way out of Tartarus. But when they accidentally arrive to the magical realm of the Lady of the Lake, Gaius Julius Mento decides to subjugate the island and establish Eternal Rome there. First, however, he must gather his lost legion…

Main Features:

A Role-playing Tactical Adventure
  • Experience a unique hybrid between turn-based tactical games and traditional, character-centric RPGs. Manage and control a party of 5-6 heroes to explore and conquer the land of Avalon. Engage in deep tactical combat, tough moral choices, hero management, and the rebuilding of Nova Roma.
Prove Your Worth as a Tactician
  • Every little move and every decision matters. Use covers, traps, flanking and an in-depth overwatch and opportunity system and turn the entire battlefield to your advantage like a master tactician. Sometimes meticulous planning, sometimes charging simply to combat will be the key to victory. The only difference between a successful or a failed quest may depend on the composition of your party only!
Heroes Straight from the Abyss
  • Legion IX introduces six unique heroes who have risen from the Abyss to conquer the mythical land of Avalon. Level up, gain skill points and unlock unique skill trees. Loot, equip and craft hundreds of artefacts and create the deadliest fighting force that has ever set foot on Avalon.
Wide Variety of Abilities
  • Use unique skills, Ultimate Skills and World Abilities to overcome the toughest challenges during your quests in Avalon. Take risks and explore various tactical options as heroes don't face permanent death at the end of the missions. Test your skills in different difficulty modes, from laid-back storytelling to brutal, unforgiving battles.
Not Built in a Day
  • Build up and expand the city of Nova Roma. Make sure that your stronghold has the right facilities for your heroes that prepare them for different quests. But beware! Resources are scarce and you have to manage Nova Roma thoughtfully to keep it afloat.
Regain Your Humanity
  • Your decisions have far-reaching consequences, influencing both gameplay and narrative. Through your actions, Gaius will either restore his humanity, or forever be transformed into a demon.
Make sure to put King Arthur: Legion IX on your wishlist before launch. As for the base game, Knight's Tale has recently received the 2.0 overhaul and numerous improvements, so make sure to check it out if you haven't. Thank you for your support!

Onwards to Nova Roma!
0c4532b48b08ba982b958ca5e3f955e468d5e1e1.png

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only thing that makes me curb my enthusiasm a little is that Neocore's expansions are typically of much lower quality than the base game.

Elttharion

Learned
Thinking of picking this up. Is Legion IX a separate game, a standalone expansion or just DLC for the base game? Also should I buy or ignore the skirmish packs? Thanks

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thinking of picking this up. Is Legion IX a separate game, a standalone expansion or just DLC for the base game? Also should I buy or ignore the skirmish packs? Thanks

It's a separate, standalone expansion as I understand it.

Ignore the skirmish packs until you've exhausted all other content - including the post-game of the original game, which can be a lengthy ride. If you're somehow still craving that sweet KAKT-action, buy the packs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's a separate, standalone expansion as I understand it.

Ignore the skirmish packs until you've exhausted all other content - including the post-game of the original game, which can be a lengthy ride. If you're somehow still craving that sweet KAKT-action, buy the packs.
You're such a huge KAKT rider, man. Get KAKT! :lol:

Johannes

Arcane
Are there a lot of knights that have side missions open up when they're on the roster? Like Kay has the treachery mission and Dindraine has the mission where you open portals to find Grail.

Were these just a chapter 1 thing, since IIRC I haven't seen other missions like that where a non-Mordred knight is required present since? Or is it just due to me not having the right knights / event outcomes to trigger them? Almost finished chapter 3 now.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
IIRC, after the early part of the game, you will receive recruitment missions based around someone who will then join you, conditional on your alignment, rather than more missions based on knights who have already been recruited.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are there a lot of knights that have side missions open up when they're on the roster? Like Kay has the treachery mission and Dindraine has the mission where you open portals to find Grail.

Were these just a chapter 1 thing, since IIRC I haven't seen other missions like that where a non-Mordred knight is required present since? Or is it just due to me not having the right knights / event outcomes to trigger them? Almost finished chapter 3 now.

I remembered there being more, but Darth Roxor corrected me with his more fresh memory of the game saying they're actually few and far between.

Cael

Arcane

I remembered there being more, but Darth Roxor corrected me with his more fresh memory of the game saying they're actually few and far between.
Only one other possible one that I can remember: Guinevere for the mission The Cauldron.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Guinevere has a mission for Percival, Tristan has a mission for Iseult, and that's about everything I know of for knight-based content after chapter 1. Maybe some of the other dudes gained from main missions like Merlin or the Faerie Knight have more since it seems main quest knights have all these extra ones, but IDK.

Johannes

Arcane
Guinevere has a mission for Percival, Tristan has a mission for Iseult, and that's about everything I know of for knight-based content after chapter 1. Maybe some of the other dudes gained from main missions like Merlin or the Faerie Knight have more since it seems main quest knights have all these extra ones, but IDK.
Tristan / Isolde doesn't have a mission, you get her in the catacombs thru just events. But can't get her without having Tristan around, like you can't get Percival without having Guinevere - which I missed out on, will have to do with a little less grind. I do remember finding the mention of a Cauldron relating to Grail weird in Galahad's recruitment mission.

Looked thru the game files really quick, just looking for "RequiredHeroes=[Not Mordred]", and there's just 4 of them total - Dindraine, Kay, Guinevere, and Ector in Act 1 with the undead abbot that wasn't mentioned yet.

Another way to miss out on number of quests is to diddle in the middle morality ofc, so you don't get any of those recruitment missions.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
It is, but these Sidhe have vision over the whole map, and he cannot stand the heat. I do use him a lot, but his brother is a lot better at not getting bruised.
Detector units are slightly annoying for Balin but it's still not a big problem to restealth when you have MPs and stealth is 1AP (he really wants to start rounds in stealth - bonus AP and MP are very good). Give him some +dmg on kill gear, feed him archers and he quickly turns into a 1-hit monster. His mobility is superb, with tele-ring i killed 4-5 backline units at the start of an encounter and then proceeded to brutalize frontline units next turns with super buffed Balin. Vanguards are strong (mobility and bonus damage from backstabs among other things), and Balin is the best vanguard. Champs got nerfed hard in 2.0, no way to killstreak while regaining AP back indefinitely, harder to boost damage, attacks are more expensive and having to take hits from enemies you didn't kill off make them somewhat fragile. Later levels (on very hard at least) present you with enemies that can really hurt your champs, and AI on very hard wont attack your tank over squishier targets. While vanguards can erase several units with backstabs (or really hurt a fatso) and get into stealth, thus avoiding retaliation and making it easier to guide enemies to your tank.

Mordred can be a decent damage dealer with gear that gives him +dmg on being hit, that way if he tanks a lot of enemies (gear that gets him taunt on hit is very helpful) he can boost his attack damage to 800% and more. Without buffs like that his attacks and spells wont wow you.

Cael

Arcane
Detector units are slightly annoying for Balin but it's still not a big problem to restealth when you have MPs and stealth is 1AP (he really wants to start rounds in stealth - bonus AP and MP are very good). Give him some +dmg on kill gear, feed him archers and he quickly turns into a 1-hit monster. His mobility is superb, with tele-ring i killed 4-5 backline units at the start of an encounter and then proceeded to brutalize frontline units next turns with super buffed Balin. Vanguards are strong (mobility and bonus damage from backstabs among other things), and Balin is the best vanguard. Champs got nerfed hard in 2.0, no way to killstreak while regaining AP back indefinitely, harder to boost damage, attacks are more expensive and having to take hits from enemies you didn't kill off make them somewhat fragile. Later levels (on very hard at least) present you with enemies that can really hurt your champs, and AI on very hard wont attack your tank over squishier targets. While vanguards can erase several units with backstabs (or really hurt a fatso) and get into stealth, thus avoiding retaliation and making it easier to guide enemies to your tank.

Mordred can be a decent damage dealer with gear that gives him +dmg on being hit, that way if he tanks a lot of enemies (gear that gets him taunt on hit is very helpful) he can boost his attack damage to 800% and more. Without buffs like that his attacks and spells wont wow you.
I find Tristan, Bedevere or Boudicea to be better Vanguards. Especially Tristan once you get his third tier opened up.

Kay, on the other hand, is just an insane powerhouse. He can basically solo end-Act bosses by himself. All he needs is a teleport ring. Teleport behind Arthur and just power attack, followed by a normal attack or a kick. If you get Mordred to charge in with a shield charge, you now have two attackers on either side of Arthur and he goes down FAST after that. Besides that, his cleave basically removes 3 mobs from the field at a time, and it has a cooldown of one. I got a lot of mileage from Kay until the Faerie Knight came along. A teleporting melee tank with arcanist staff backstabs is just too good to pass up.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
On "very hard" and late in game (last several missions of story plus end-game content, sidhe shrine scenarios and the like) i started fighting mobs that were not killed in 1-2 attacks or cleaves. They also started to really hurt with their attacks, so off-tanking stopped being viable. Champs could not survive with 2-3 regular mobs on them and could not kill them fast enough, even actual "tanks" struggled. To finish 2nd endgame season I had to remodel my team and use 2 tanks (Mordr and Red Knight), caster for CC and Balin for killstreaks and damage dealing. Most of base-game i had a champ (Black Knight) in my A-team, but in the end he just was not doing enough.

Cael

Arcane
On "very hard" and late in game (last several missions of story plus end-game content, sidhe shrine scenarios and the like) i started fighting mobs that were not killed in 1-2 attacks or cleaves. They also started to really hurt with their attacks, so off-tanking stopped being viable. Champs could not survive with 2-3 regular mobs on them and could not kill them fast enough, even actual "tanks" struggled. To finish 2nd endgame season I had to remodel my team and use 2 tanks (Mordr and Red Knight), caster for CC and Balin for killstreaks and damage dealing. Most of base-game i had a champ (Black Knight) in my A-team, but in the end he just was not doing enough.
Ah. I have never gotten that far. I think of the several runs I have had, I only got to recruiting Lancelot/Morgana and lost interest. But maybe it is because Old Faith/Righteous seems to be easy mode for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom