Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Quest VII

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I loved this adventure when I was little and still got it around on CD, but can't manage to make it work. Also, I haven't seen it as abandonware anywhere. So, basically, if anyone could tell me where I can download a working version of it or how I can make the CD version work on a modern system, that would be neat.

aries202

Erudite
You can try using DosBox - it is a great little tool that is designed to make older games work on modern day systems like XP or Vista.

Top Hat

Scholar
Are we talking about KQ7 (which is what you said) or KQ6?

I'm pretty sure that KQ7 requires Windows, so DOSBox will not work.

Also, they are not abandonware as whoever owns Sierra now just released some new packaged sets of all of the old Sierra games. Doesn't include 8 or Windows versions of 5 and 6 because they were in a rush to get it out and said "FUCK YOU" to reworking them to work under XP and instead just bundled it with DOSBox. Fucking hilarious.

Edit: Confusing numbers is probably a bad trait for a mathematician.

aries202

Erudite
Top Hat said:
Are we talking about KQ7 (which is what you said) or KQ6?

I'm pretty sure that KQ7 requires Windows, so DOSBox will not work.

Also, they are not abandonware as whoever owns Sierra now just released some new packaged sets of all of the old Sierra games. Doesn't include 7 or Windows versions of 5 and 6 because they were in a rush to get it out and said "FUCK YOU" to reworking them to work under XP and instead just bundled it with DOSBox. Fucking hilarious.

I bought the King's Quest collection 4 months ago, in August 2007. The very small booklet that came with the collection states that 'King's Quest 7 must be run in 16bit mode (windows) 2000 to function properly.'

I have played King's Quest 7 on Windows XP, I think 3 or 4 years ago, so it can de done. Don't know about Vista, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom