Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotOR advice

nikpalj

Novice
Im gonna start playing kotor 1 very soon, would apreciate any advice from you guys - anything I have to know before starting playing for the first time. Also, any mods that I should get for it...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't bother with any of the blaster skills; they'll become useless once you get a lightsaber.

Unless you're a big Star Wars fan, don't expect too much from this game. The game is very linear and the choices are clearly black or white... or in this case, dark or light.

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Don't bother with any of the blaster skills; they'll become useless once you get a lightsaber.

.....moreover, early on in the game--before you get your lightsaber--don't sell all of your melee weapons and keep blaster weapons. A friend of mine played a game of KOTOR in which he sold all his melee weapons early on--thinking they were useless--and kept only blaster weapons. This did him no good since he couldn't do much of anything once the combat got close. We gave him a bunch of crap and had several laughs at his expense. :D

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You do not need ANY advice for Kotor. It's one of the easiest games EVER made. Keep blasters if you like. Tip: Game is more fun and challenging if you don't use those ridiculously overpowered lightsabers at all. Enemies are still wimps.

Heck, if I could beat the big foozle alone with blaster pistols, so can you. Also, if you don't finish this game in under 23 hours you suck cock.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Also, if you 'finish' the game in less than 23 hours on your first try, you are very likely lying. :roll:

Kraszu

Prophet
Advice for playing kotor? Play whit your eyes open and you will do good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Volourn said:
Also, if you 'finish' the game in less than 23 hours on your first try, you are very likely lying. :roll:

Volly, lil' bitch-
...the secret to finishing the game is less than 23 hours on first try:
* Don't bother with a lot of combat, just run past.
* NEVER listen to the voice-acted dialogue. That must have already saved me five hours or so.
* Get the fancy jedi lightning. Boom, all combat problems solved.

Durwyn

Prophet
I've finished Kotor in 25h, playing first time. BTW using blasters gave me more fun than lightsaber slaying. In the end dual lightsabers were just slaying all foozles at range of sight in notime. Peace of cake.

Crichton

Prophet
Even though it's your first playthrough, I'd suggest modding weapon damage to something like the D20 norms (i.e. blaster rifle does 3d8 instead of 1d8, blaster pistol 3d6 and so on), this is trivial to do by modding "baseitems.2da", I'm pretty sure I posted a howto here earlier, but I can't seem to find it.

psycojester

Arbiter
Always have Canderous Ordo in your party, he kicks arse with dual melee weapons, and he isn't a whiny bitch who incessantly bitches about your actions.

Crichton

Prophet
Ah, here it is,

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9493

Download that KOTOR tool thing, mod baseitems.2da and away you go, blasters suddenly become noticeably more useful than non-lightsabre melee weapons. I had to scrounge around for the official star wars d20 values since I don't play it, but bioware seems to have mostly just divided everything by 3, so tripling the number of dice brings everything into line in most cases. I think I have my old modded file around somewhere if you're too lazy.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Jasede said:
* NEVER listen to the voice-acted dialogue. That must have already saved me five hours or so.

That would explain why volly takes so fucking long to play these games - he's a slow reader.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Here's my advice:

1. There are times when your character will have to fight by his lonesome self. Therefore, strictly "support" character builds for the PC are not an option. I also highly suggest you stay away from rogue/consular builds, as they'll leave you with to little HP to effectively defeat the foozle with out gaming the system.

2. Blasters in general are worthless. Maybe have one character equiped with them and in the back, but in general melee is much more effective with a good strength score. Problem with blasters are they don't increase in damage like melee (with strength), and later in the game power shields become much more common.

3. Dual Wielding is overpowered (that assumes you get the feets). Do what you will with this fact.

4. Life Support Packs are godly. These rare "medkits" can come pretty close to instantly healing characters entirely. Buy them whenever the opportunity arises, and don't use them unless you really need to.

5. Don't go above level 8 in your non-Jedi class. In fact, most players suggest you game the system and don't go above level 4 or even level 1, but I find level 8 works out well enough anyways.

6. Once you beat it, go and play Obsidian's much better Sequel.

jefklak

Scholar
I almost never used any of the medkits...
The feats ripped straight from D&D3 suck ass. Really really suck ass. You don't need to activate one single feat at any time - even when facing bosses. Without them, you still mow through every enemy you encounter. Strange, isn't it? Your stats also seem not to matter at all. I don't know, but hmpf. Dual Wielding is fun, press "W" (you activate both light sabers and swing with it. YAY! my best part in the game)

Greatatlantic what the hell, KOTORII is not better than 1.
Without the unofficial patch, it's so bad, bugged and empty.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Once you beat it, go and play Obsidian's much better Sequel."

Hvaing an opinion is one thing, lying is a whole 'nother store.

"Its more balanced and has better quests, so yeha."

KOTOR2? L0L KOTOR is one of those rare games that make KOTOR1 look challenging in comparison. And, it's quests are, by far, worse.

"That would explain why volly takes so fucking long to play these games - he's a slow reader."

That must explain why it took me maybe 15 hours to beat FO1. Hardly anything to read in that game!

R00fles!

sabishii

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Once you beat it, go and play Obsidian's much better Sequel."

Hvaing an opinion is one thing, lying is a whole 'nother store.

"Its more balanced and has better quests, so yeha."

KOTOR2? L0L KOTOR is one of those rare games that make KOTOR1 look challenging in comparison. And, it's quests are, by far, worse.

"That would explain why volly takes so fucking long to play these games - he's a slow reader."

That must explain why it took me maybe 15 hours to beat FO1. Hardly anything to read in that game!

R00fles!
Why do you lie?

jefklak

Scholar
hmpf, you guys should replay KOTORII and see for yourselves it's a lot worse

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom