Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Kotor prerelease test areas video surfaces

This is a prerelease video of Kotor. It includes test areas. You can see how the game changed, like for example how there were moving vehicles on the streets and the engine seems do be able to handle a little bigger number of characters on the screen.

Quite amazing to see the speeders moving and the large amount of troopers and Jedi running and gunning on Taris. The game as it was released was still capable of rendering large ships taking off and landing, but nothing so large as that Foray-class corvette that we saw. I get why they probably got rid of the speeders though, because having them would then beg the question of why the player can't have one, even when the areas would still be too small to justify it.

In regard to the scenes of the street fights, it's weird how they opted for a much tighter and player-centric camera for all cases rather than the more pulled out one that you could zoom to your liking. Technically, I doubt there was anything preventing the number of models from getting that high in the base game (8), other than the narrow corridors that existed on Taris and much of the rest of the game in the final version. Simply no room vertically or horizontally to do any of that. Even the running and gunning was gone in the final product, probably due to the way turns worked in KotOR. There's just no way to move and shoot at the same time anymore. Seeing this is like seeing a marriage between KotOR and Galaxies and I like it.

Just imagine if this game wasn't shackled to a shitty console, actually, now we don't have to. Would have been crazy if that battle on Taris had've made it into the final product as a finale to the world rather than Sith base raid. "Escape from Taris during the battle before Malak gets fed up and declares Exterminatus." sort of thing.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is a prerelease video of Kotor. It includes test areas. You can see how the game changed, like for example how there were moving vehicles on the streets and the engine seems do be able to handle a little bigger number of characters on the screen.

Cool, now shove it in 64mb of Xbox memory. :smug:
:negative:

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just imagine if this game wasn't shackled to a shitty console
It still will be, almost all of them are. Out of Gothic, KOTOR and Witcher 1 remakes, KOTOR is the only one I'm not completely pessimistic about. However, I loved the latter 2 much more than KOTOR so that makes a difference. Either way, it still wouldn't be as good as if consoles just ceased to exist, or remained in their lane as COD/Netflix/Drunk Fifa simulators.

It still will be, almost all of them are. Out of Gothic, KOTOR and Witcher 1 remakes, KOTOR is the only one I'm not completely pessimistic about. However, I loved the latter 2 much more than KOTOR so that makes a difference. Either way, it still wouldn't be as good as if consoles just ceased to exist, or remained in their lane as COD/Netflix/Drunk Fifa simulators.
I was just talking about the original game and the original Xbox. I'm completely pessimistic about the KotOR remake, not even for the standard pozzed shit that's almost a given, but for all the other damage they'll no doubt do to the lore and characters. Not that certain things about KotOR's story don't need to be fixed or enriched, but I have no faith that the people in charge of that are capable or qualified to do it, and what's worse they may fuck up a whole host of other things that weren't bad to begin with.

Also zero faith in Witcher for similar reasons. Not a Gothic guy, not in a negative way, just never played it. Didn't even know there was a remake on the horizon.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I was just talking about the original game and the original Xbox. I'm completely pessimistic about the KotOR remake, not even for the standard pozzed shit that's almost a given, but for all the other damage they'll no doubt do to the lore and characters. Not that certain things about KotOR's story don't need to be fixed or enriched, but I have no faith that the people in charge of that are capable or qualified to do it, and what's worse they may fuck up a whole host of other things that weren't bad to begin with.

Also zero faith in Witcher for similar reasons. Not a Gothic guy, not in a negative way, just never played it. Didn't even know there was a remake on the horizon.
Precisely why I'm the most optimistic about the KOTOR remake despite still not caring about it. It's a game out of those big 3 with remakes coming out where it has the least chance of being fucked with for a remake.

If the story and stuff is largely untouched (apart from side quests) in KOTOR, I can see it being better than the original. I won't hold my breath though.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just imagine if this game wasn't shackled to a shitty console, actually, now we don't have to. Would have been crazy if that battle on Taris had've made it into the final product as a finale to the world rather than Sith base raid. "Escape from Taris during the battle before Malak gets fed up and declares Exterminatus." sort of thing.
You are right.
PC exclusive Kotor? :smug: Yes, sir, thank you, sir!
Taris is pretty good as a setting, though it tends to drag a little (depending on whether you want to do every thing on the planet).
Manaan is another great location. Makes you wonder just how more awesome it would've been if Bioware wasn't shackled by the fact they wanted this so badly on console.

I liked the length of Taris and I'd actually argue it's the only planet that felt like a planet's worth of content. I also liked that it had a clear beginning, middle and end. It's a very stand alone experience and I liked that the difficulty was higher because you couldn't lean on Force Powers there.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I liked the length of Taris and I'd actually argue it's the only planet that felt like a planet's worth of content. I also liked that it had a clear beginning, middle and end. It's a very stand alone experience and I liked that the difficulty was higher because you couldn't lean on Force Powers there.
Indeed.
The Sith Governor boss fight is really nasty, but I nearly always pick Zaalbar and T3 as companions. T3's flamethrower is really useful against the Sith Governor.
A lot of nasty fights in Taris.

ind33d

Educated

i'm not even going to ask where people got this. at this rate someone might release a rough cut of george's xizor trilogy

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Amazing how far downhill from that it ended up going. It’s also interesting to see how similar it still was to Baldur’s Gate 2. The Taris battle reminds me strongly of the battle between the Shadow Thieves vs. Irenicus and his guards.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope it has enough new content to justify playing this for those that played it long ago.
It doesn't help that RPGS about Star Wars are rare (that Soulslike game is an action-adventure one so it doesn't count).

Ryzer

Arcane
The biggest issue with Kotor is its god-awful gameplay and pathetic combat, the video doesn't address this issue, disappointed.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope it has enough new content to justify playing this for those that played it long ago.
It doesn't help that RPGS about Star Wars are rare (that Soulslike game is an action-adventure one so it doesn't count).

Guys, this thread is about a prerelease version of the original KOTOR. It has nothing to do with Aspyr's vaporware remake.

Gargaune

Magister
Man, "today" must really suck when seeing Windows 98 makes you feel nostalgic. 'Cause I know Windows 98 is nothing to be nostalgic about.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Movement animation for the male character looks terrible. What kind of man runs like that? It looks like the modeled it after Steven Seagal's running meme.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, "today" must really suck when seeing Windows 98 makes you feel nostalgic. 'Cause I know Windows 98 is nothing to be nostalgic about.
When you've experienced Windows ME, everything else becomes smooth sailing.

Which means the source for both videos is the same person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom