Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KotOR2 mixes up Action Trip

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<A href="http://www.actiontrip.com/">Action Trip</a> gives <A href="Http://www.swkotor2.com">Knights of the Old Republic 2</a> an average scoring <A href="http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/starwarsknightsoftheoldrepublic2thesithlords.phtml">review</a>. The score is actually a <b>73/100</b> with a rating of <b>Good</b>, but most of the review's text is pretty negative with very little upside. Here's part of it:
<br>
<blockquotE>The sound effects are of the quality you'd expect from a top-of-the-line Star Wars title, but it remains a mystery to me as to why the soundtrack (though brilliant) sounds so low quality. Another thing that will surely bother some folks is the inconsistency of the voice acting. Some voices sound terrific, while others, like Bao-Dur, sound like Obsidian and Lucas couldn't afford real actors, so they had the level designer try his hand at voice acting.</blockquote>
<br>
Eh? I actually liked the voice acting for Bao-Dur. It was different, sure, but still neat. More actors should take valium before getting in the sound booth.
<br>
<br>
As an extra bonus, I thought I'd point out this line from it:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Obsidian is not BioWare and they've failed to strike the perfect balance between presenting the story and making sure that there is enough meat to the gameplay.</blockquote>
<br>
Since when has dialogue, the means which the story is progressed in the game, not gameplay?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Lemon

Arcane
Bao-Dur was quite plausible, perhaps the reviewer wanted him to scream "I AM A CONFLICTTTTED !!!! WAR VETTREN!!!"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Baor Dur, other than the weird looking face, was one of the more beleiveable, and relaistic NPCs in the game. He didn't have some lame backstory to make him look deeper than he really was. He was a War Veteranloyal to his 'General'. Not some silly over complex wannabe melodramatic garbage like Atton or Mira; but simply beleivable.

Cool stuff. I just wish he spoke up more.. <>

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
i thought bao-durs voice was good. it was mellow and not some screaming lunatic unless he had to be.

voice acting is one of the last things id ever critisize about the game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
He was very good, I agree. Voice acting is one of the best things about KOTOR2. I see no reason to criticize it. That ice queen bitch Atris comes off as appropriately bitchy, too. I like that.

triCritical

Erudite
You know I thought KotOR was really bad and it got good reviews, so maybe I would like KotOR2 since its getting worse reviews. I know the engine was not heavily modified, so there is no real hope for some of the worst combat known to CRPG's. However, given that it has more dialoge and story, which will most likely not be lame since not developed by Bioware, is there ample oppurtunity to explore other avenues besides combat. To put it bluntly, are those glimpes of using skills rather then l33t combat animations more prevalent in part 2. Finally, do those incredulous quest where you have to do 50 stupid little quest, instead of just clobbering the bad guys and rescuing the girl still exist?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
triCritical said:
To put it bluntly, are those glimpes of using skills rather then l33t combat animations more prevalent in part 2. Finally, do those incredulous quest where you have to do 50 stupid little quest, instead of just clobbering the bad guys and rescuing the girl still exist?

I never really noticed any cascading quests. That's not to say they're not in the game, but if there were, they were done well enough that I didn't notice them.

Smiffus

Novice
Is it just me or is Bao Dur the same race as that Sith in the first Star Wars movie?

Hmm, never mind, that was my Star Wars nerdness taking over.

Back I say! Back!

Fez

Erudite
I still refuse to call the recent Star Wars movie the "first one". Episode 4, my ass. Fuck you Lucas.

Lomer

Liturgist
Smiffus said:
Is it just me or is Bao Dur the same race as that Sith in the first Star Wars movie?

Yeah, I think that both Darth Maul and Bao Dur are Zabraks from Iridonia.

Surlent

Liturgist
It just hit me. Mandalore looks like he's wearing Power Armor 51.
The plot idea how you are chainlinked to old woman is just like what Jefferson was going to have.
KotR2's strenght is obviously well written dialogue and characteristic NPCs, just like MCA did with PST.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom