Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Krater: Shadows Over Solside review recap

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Fatshark; Krater

The Swedish squad-based, real-time, perma-injury hack n' slash Krater: Shadows Over Solside was released about a week ago. Since then a few reviews and stuff have surfaced. They seem to be mostly 'meh' and negative about it, but there are some positive reviews as well.

RPS: Wot I Think - Krater
"As I said at the beginning, I am not unsympathetic to what Fatshark are doing here. They are trying to make an ARPG that both hits the critical beat of dungeon-crawling and loot churning, with some deep and valuable crafting, but at the same time delivers a different kind of world, and a different kind of character management micro-game. I get all that, but I can’t say that it works or, consequently, really recommend it."

EGM Review: Krater
"SUMMARY: Plagued by constant bugs and poor design decisions, Krater unfortunately never lives up to the full potential of its old-school gameplay ideals."

Quarter to three: Krater
No summary but they basically shit on it.

Gamenarrator: Krater
"Positive: Good Soundtrack, Great Design, Interesting Setting, Feels Unique
Negative: No Co-Op at Launch, Low Level Caps, Some Unutilized Potentials"​

What's the Codex hivemind's opinion on Krater?

Licaon_Kter

Augur
played the alpha/beta 1 week before release and was waaaay behind a stable version on all fronts: full computer freezes ( when doing nothing actually ), missing text ( might be forgiven at a beta stage ), horrible UI that you had to click every button 2 or 3 times to get something done which means a lot of fun when in fights ( = NOT FUN I DIED :( ),no sense of purpose at all, no explanation for how the 2 upgrade mechanics and leveling works, items here shit most of the time either looted or store bought.

I loved the world map look and use, loved the good looking engine ( wish Wasteland2 will get this nice on Unity4 ) and hoped for the best, but only because I thought that in this state they're some 6 months away from any release candidate not that they launch it like this. meh.

I can just say that I was quite interested in this game but the beta was just awful, and not for technical reasons. It's the core design that just doesn't work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom