Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God damn it the iron door on dungeon level 3 is still outsmarting me. I'm sure I'm missing something, but damned if I know what it is. I think I have a vague idea of what I need to do but am not sure how to go about it.
Isn't the Iron Door on lvl 3 just unlocked by a key dropped by the spiders?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Have you folk seen any other kind of buttons on walls than that big flat one, and one "loose corner" on bricks? I wonder if there are buttons hidden in those walls which has chains, tree branches, moss etc.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure if this has been brought up re: dex not affecting ranged combat. I just noticed that specializing in bows gives you several +dex bonuses throughout the tree. How stupid.

And Sword skill gives +hp. And fire mage skill gives +str.
Not all bonuses from skill tree directly work for this tree.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I wonder if the developers intended the player to try out various rune combinations on his own, or to wait until he finds the right scrolls?

Dex not impacting ranged ability is very surprising, I wonder how many people are running around with rogues with max dex..

I'm enjoying the game a lot though.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Have you folk seen any other kind of buttons on walls than that big flat one, and one "loose corner" on bricks? I wonder if there are buttons hidden in those walls which has chains, tree branches, moss etc.

I think there's only those two. Later on the tileset changes an so do the secret buttons, but it's still a poor amount of choices, two secret buttons per tileset makes looking for them a matter of stumbling over a recognized pattern, not actually looking for secrets.

Multi-headed Cow

Dex not impacting ranged ability is very surprising, I wonder how many people are running around with rogues with max dex..
*Raises hand*

To be fair I didn't do the tutorial or read the manual. And the description of DEX doesn't mention impacting ranged combat all. I was just a D&Dfag.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

I think there's only those two. Later on the tileset changes an so do the secret buttons, but it's still a poor amount of choices, two secret buttons per tileset makes looking for them a matter of stumbling over a recognized pattern, not actually looking for secrets.

When/if they make sequel or add-ons for Grimrock, they're probably going to add more buttons too.

I also noticed that attack speed for monsters/enemies is faster than in Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back which is probably why they didn't put attack menu like in DM/CSB but I'll have to check that is it true or am I just imagening things.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
rBOyH.png

If you would have told me a dungeon crawler is the best sold game on Steam I would have just laughed...

I guess this shows that good presentation really can make or break a game. It seems to be the only reason Frayed Knights was less successful.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you would have told me a dungeon crawler would be the best sold game on Steam I would have just laughed...

As I said before:

Re: it's sale performance on Steam -- Steam isn't necessarily full of addle minded retards... well... not completely. Good low budget games with depth and solid mechanics routinely perform well. Dungeons of Dredmor was a top seller during the first few days of its release. I'm sure Wasteland 2 will do similarly well.

Good indie games, regardless of genre, will sell if they are reasonably priced.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dex is useless!? o_O

It gives you evasion (survivability) and accuracy (damage). Sure, after a certain point, adding additional dex is superfluous as stuff likely won't hit you anyway and you're unlikely to miss. But up to a certainpoint is is as good as - or better than - strength.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Another dumb thing - there are spears/lances that you can use to attack from the back row, but no class has spear specialization. And yeah, I'm sure spells will be fleshed out with future patches or expansions. At least they better be.

Well, anyway, It's nice to see that this game is doing very well for a fairly "hardcore" CRPG. There were ~5000 players on Steam playing it on Thursday, it's a top seller on both Steam and GOG, too. Safe to say that the small team is making a nice profit from the game and bodes well for future installments

It's also nice to see a decent CRPG do well. Come on, someone give us a Wizardry indie game next. :smug: Then again, that's far more work than something like Grimrock which is relatively small in scope.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Wizardry revival Kickstarter yet, I'm guessing it'll pop-up soon enough, especially after the success of LoD. And yeah, the spells list is reaaaally disappointing, I hope they'll patch in a few more in future expansions/patches. Or at least let me be able to save the current spell I've been using, it's pretty tiresome to constantly punch the rune combination during combat, especially once you grab those higher level spells, that require 3-4 runes to channel.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can someone (who's more than 3 floors in) tell me what the optimal level for Evasion is? I don't want to invest in it too much. Currently my front line Mages have 32-33 points of Evasion; ideally, how higher should I aim for?

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dex is useless!? o_O

It gives you evasion (survivability) and accuracy (damage). Sure, after a certain point, adding additional dex is superfluous as stuff likely won't hit you anyway and you're unlikely to miss. But up to a certainpoint is is as good as - or better than - strength.
Dex is useless for back row, missile weapons focused rogue. Survivability is not much of an issue, unless you are backed into a corner and then you won't last very long anyway and missile weapons seem to be hitscan, rendering all the to hit bonuses from high dex moot.

Multi-headed Cow

Still not a turn-based dungeon crawler, though :smug:
Vogel's freshly released Avernum is #17 on the Steam top seller charts, it was in the top 10 on release day. And that's a pretty goddamn ugly turn based RPG. Everything sells well on Steam! :bounce:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Another dumb thing - there are spears/lances that you can use to attack from the back row, but no class has spear specialization. And yeah, I'm sure spells will be fleshed out with future patches or expansions. At least they better be.

Well, anyway, It's nice to see that this game is doing very well for a fairly "hardcore" CRPG. There were ~5000 players on Steam playing it on Thursday, it's a top seller on both Steam and GOG, too. Safe to say that the small team is making a nice profit from the game and bodes well for future installments

It's also nice to see a decent CRPG do well. Come on, someone give us a Wizardry indie game next. :smug: Then again, that's far more work than something like Grimrock which is relatively small in scope.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Wizardry revival Kickstarter yet, I'm guessing it'll pop-up soon enough, especially after the success of LoD. And yeah, the spells list is reaaaally disappointing, I hope they'll patch in a few more in future expansions/patches. Or at least let me be able to save the current spell I've been using, it's pretty tiresome to constantly punch the rune combination during combat, especially once you grab those higher level spells, that require 3-4 runes to channel.

Wizadry lives on in Japan, IIRC.

made

Arcane
Original Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back didn't have very varied spell lists, unless you count the potion making through spells, also original DM & CSB didn't have two-handed weapons either so lack of them might be just an oversight by the developers. Lack of spear skill is a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fix that on future patches, for example by adding it to rogue skills, making it "Daggers and Polearms" skill.

Also, I wouldn't mind ability to throw the spears either.
Sure, DM didn't have many things. Doesn't mean this shouldn't either, it's not a 1:1 copy.

It's their first game, so everyone will forgive them the shortcomings, but now that they're raking in the millions the sequel/expansion better be more sophisticated.

evdk

Patron
Sure, DM didn't have many things. Doesn't mean this shouldn't either, it's not a 1:1 copy.

It's their first game, so everyone will forgive them the shortcomings, but now that they're raking in the millions the sequel/expansion better be more sophisticated.

Sure, this time they will copy DM2 ;) Get ready for outdoors locations!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I agree. We need emotionally engaging storylines, party banter, romance subplots, kickass cutscenes, multiplayer with unlockable items and perks, a hint system and a compass that points out where the secrets are, chest-high walls to gain cover from and detailed models of the party so you can see what they look like in their armor. Also, ditch the 90-degree navigation and make the levels more detailed. It's ok if they become more linear if they also look majestic. Amirite? :M

I'm sorry! I'm so very sorry!

made

Arcane

I agree. We need emotionally engaging storylines, party banter, romance subplots, kickass cutscenes, multiplayer with unlockable items and perks, a hint system and a compass that points out where the secrets are, chest-high walls to gain cover from and detailed models of the party so you can see what they look like in their armor. Also, ditch the 90-degree navigation and make the levels more detailed. It's ok if they become more linear if they also look majestic. Amirite? :M

I'm sorry! I'm so very sorry!
183841673.jpg

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Original Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back didn't have very varied spell lists, unless you count the potion making through spells, also original DM & CSB didn't have two-handed weapons either so lack of them might be just an oversight by the developers. Lack of spear skill is a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fix that on future patches, for example by adding it to rogue skills, making it "Daggers and Polearms" skill.

Also, I wouldn't mind ability to throw the spears either.

Definitely people should expect more from sequel/expansion, although, lack of variety in spells and some other oversights (such as no dual-wielding and two-handed weapons) is probably due very short development time (just about 9 months).

What I'd like to see in sequel/expansion is naturally more spells, two-handed fighting/dual-wielding, and maybe somekind of interaction with NPCs and possible outdoor locations. Hopefully they won't try to bite too big piece with the expansion/sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom