Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Europa Barbarorum (Sweboz)

Dayyālu

Arcane
By the way, does anyone remember which EB file contains the triggers for the military reforms?

The EBBS_SCRIPT? I think it's located in EB\Data\Show me\Scripts. It is kinda easy to modify them for getting EARLIER reforms, but it should be easily modified for the opposite. Set the turns data for Marian Reforms to a later date (It should be in section 2c of the Script, MARIAN REFORMS). Set turn number to something appropriate (the standard 172 is 399 turns, I think) and then you're golden. Modify the province number needed for the reform too if ya need to do so (89 I think It's the standard for automatic Marian Reform) and then modify the Augustan reforms at your leisure.

I do not clearly understand if you need a "clean" EBBS file, and if I'm saying something useless, I beg forgiveness.

Update 29 - Military Reform.

UO0001.jpg

Welcome back to Let's Camp on Bridges...

UO0002.jpg

This was actually quite important battle, winning it cleared road to Oxtraca for us.

UO0003.jpg

And we will probably starve it because we are running low on soldiers in western Iberia.

UO0004.jpg

We still have recruitment center in Turdulia. Fortunately we can recruit Lusotannan variant of Iberian troops and those guys looks great, I have nothing against Iberian soldiers, it's just their models look horrible.

UO0005.jpg

Just take a look how great things went for Carthage (orange line) since they decided to threaten us. Yeah, that was really poor decision on their part. On the side note, I'm surprised how badly Ptolemaioi is doing in this campaign, I mean they are most powerful faction now but it's 191 B.C and they didn't even finished Arche Seleukeia yet, lazy fuckers.

UO0006.jpg

Let's fuck Carthaginian faction rating some more.

UO0007.jpg

UO0008.jpg

ENSLAVE!

UO0001.jpg

We have some serious happiness problems in Bratosporios. I noticed it too late and it can revolt next turn.

UO0002.jpg

But Carthaginians decided to speed up our process of conquering Arse.

UO0032.jpg

UO0033.jpg

Arse is kinda happy but we are not taking any chances.

UO0034.jpg

Goodnight sweet prince!

UO0035.jpg

Bratosporios is still raging, It's not very important city but we are bulding extensive port upgrade here which costs 35K mnai... so, yeah I don't want to lose it.

UO0037.jpg

So I decided to hire super-expensive mercenary army to keep it calm.

UO0038.jpg

We are still arming ourselves against Norici and Boii. Mori Gaesum are newest thing in our army. They are best spearmen we can get but they are recruitable only in Helvetia so we can't recruit full stacks of them. But I will still recruit quite a few.

UO0001.jpg

And then we pressed "end turn" and it's 190 B.C - time of Sweboz reform. Finally we have acces to heavy cavalry...

UO0002.jpg

... And armoured infantry. This reform comes waaaaaay too fucking late to be really useful. But you know, we are crazy rich and those guys are here so why not recruit them?

UO0004.jpg

But those guys are for future armies. In iberia we are still full on old-school.

UO0005.jpg

This army looks dangerous, I think we will retreat.

UO0006.jpg

I kinda hoped Lethriskaz will retreat to the bridge but no such luck. At least we will no longer have to fight two armies.

UO0007.jpg

I would prefer hills (or a bridge...) but woods are also fine.

UO0008.jpg

Phoenicians have to units of elephants and since our general can't be in two places at the same time, we have to hope both units will attack same place.

UO0009.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong, Carthaginian general bodyguard (sacred band basically) are good but they are no cataphracts so they are not very dagnerous to our spearwall.

UO0010.jpg

UO0011.jpg

And I should just shut my whoremouth because they just went straight through our spearwall. Fortunately we had Worgozez there...

UO0012.jpg

And then carthaginian skirmishers stumbled upon our hidden units.

UO0013.jpg

That's a badass way to go, charging straight through wall of spears...

UO0014.jpg

Herr Gisgo is dead but we still have elephants to deal with. Whole shitton of elephants.

UO0015.jpg

As you might have already noticed, I don't have any idea how to fight elephants so I told my Worgozez to throw pointy shit at them and then just charge.

UO0019.jpg

Ok, they are routing.

UO0020.jpg

And I did something that is pretty high on a list of shit you shouldn't do - I sent our cavalry to chase elphants.

UO0021.jpg

UO0022.jpg

Suebic cavalry is too badass to care about "list of shit you shouldn't do". And those guys are light cav, I just can't wait when we will finally use our heavy cavalry.

UO0023.jpg

Stabbing elephants is fun and all but we still have phalangites to deal with.

UO0025.jpg

Worgozez got badly fucked up by 'fants so we don't have anything anti-armor.

UO0028.jpg

So we just swarmed them, took losses like a men and battle is over.

UO0032.jpg

I wouldn't call it "Heroic Victory". It was more like "Good for what it is Victory".

UO0033.jpg

Now we can really start pushing phoenicians out of Iberia.

UO0034.jpg

UO0035.jpg

They have only one city in Iberia that is not under siege. Time of their fucking is nigh.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Do you think that the trading port upgrades are really worth it?

I have built a number of them in my campaign, and they don't really seem to make that much money, especially when you consider how long they take and how expensive they are.

I have built a number of them in my campaign, and they don't really seem to make that much money, especially when you consider how long they take and how expensive they are.

No, they are not worth it but we don't have anything to do with our money so why not? We have around 4 or 5 active stacks + garrisons and we make 25K mnai per season, so we have to spend those money on something because our generals will start to get bad traits if we have too much gold in treasury.

Welcome back to Let's Camp on Bridges...

After restarting my Romani game, I camped the bridge over the Po just north of Segesta. The Aedui went forth from Mediolanum, and the slaughter wasn't even funny. Now I feel dirty.

I kinda feel bad that we destroyed romans by camping on bridges. Sure, their army was better but we could overcome their armor advantage with slingers and Worgozez/Axmen/Clubmen. But fucking Carthage with their phalanax pushing us UPHILL? nope, they can all die in a river.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister

No, they are not worth it but we don't have anything to do with our money so why not? We have around 4 or 5 active stacks + garrisons and we make 25K mnai per season, so we have to spend those money on something because our generals will start to get bad traits if we have too much gold in treasury.

Oh. Is that why all my generals are getting gluttonous and fabulously wealthy? Is there anywhere that I can go that explains how to get certain traits in the mod?

Oh. Is that why all my generals are getting gluttonous and fabulously wealthy? Is there anywhere that I can go that explains how to get certain traits in the mod?

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/features_traits.html

There supposed to be links to HTML or powerpoint files there that explains EB traits in greater details. I actually never looked at those. But I use "EB recruitment viewer" and HTML file with unit details (even those hidden ones) that are included with EB installation.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/features_traits.html

There supposed to be links to HTML or powerpoint files there that explains EB traits in greater details. I actually never looked at those. But I use "EB recruitment viewer" and HTML file with unit details (even those hidden ones) that are included with EB installation.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

Update 30 - Dealing with Norici

UO0001.jpg

Second anti-norici army is ready and third one is being recruited. Soon we shall see if it is even possible for me to defeat "super-strong eleutheroi".

UO0002.jpg

Meanwhile, war in for Iberia is reaching and end because almost every Carthaginian possesion there is under siege. Funny thing is, I didn't even want to conquer Iberia, but hey, Carthage left us no choice with those threats.

UO0003.jpg

They have only one operational full-stack and it's nowhere near Mastia so they try to relieve it with some rag-tag force.

UO0005.jpg

But I seriously doubt that they will succeed.

UO0006.jpg

Only scary unit they have here is sacred band cavalry (general bodyguards to be more precise) but our slingers seriously reduced them in numbers before they even reached us.

UO0008.jpg

Our general is fleeing, we have no chance, why we even try, man? we are not even fucking Carthaginian... or Iberian, THE FUCK ARE WE DOING HERE?!

UO0009.jpg

Ouch, their routing general just got sniped by our slingers so hard that he didn't fit on screen.

UO0011.jpg

"reinforcements" arrived and we have to prepare to meet them.

UO0012.jpg

That's just one unit of Iberian Assault Infantry. Those guys are very good soldiers, but still, it's just one unit.

UO0013.jpg

Iberian sandwich.

UO0016.jpg

Mastia is ours and Carthagnians can start thinking about going back to carthage.

UO0017.jpg

ENSLAVE! they are unclean! PURGE!

UO0018.jpg

Oh, it looks like Phoenicians left a gift for us in form of upgraded mines (We are stupid, dirty, barbarians*, we can't build those on our own).

* I think Sweboz are as backwards as it gets in EB. Historically germanic people in this period were half-nomads so we are severly lacking in infrastructure. We have some good roads though... in Gaul, builded by Arverni and Aeudi :M (celts have best infrastructure from all barbarian factions).

UO0001.jpg

News at 11 - Poor fucking Armenia had to run away from Ptolemaioi farther than they had to run away from us in our Arche Seleukeia campaign.

UO0002.jpg

UO0008.jpg

Zis is our chance! Norici army is at Rapists Convention (Rape-Con) and vinter should allov us to take their clay almost unopposed.

UO0003.jpg

German sandwich.

UO0004.jpg

UO0008.jpg

Shit! RUN!

UO0005.jpg

FAK U WINTER Y U DO DIS?!

UO0006.jpg

It can go GLORIOUS! or HORRIBLE! but either way, it will be complete clusterfuck.

UO0007.jpg

I wanted to take this huge-ass hill but Norici called dibs and we have to be satisfied with this smaller one.

UO0008.jpg

Unfortunately, our "reinforcements" control our heavy cavalry. Well, we will manage with what we have.

UO0009.jpg

- HAVE FUN CHARGING NORICI!
- Guys, seriously...
- Don't vorry, I vill take care of Helga!
- Fuck you...

UO0011.jpg

This is our biggest battle yet. More than 10 thousand men ready to stab the shit out of eachother.

UO0013.jpg

Some dudes are running in our direction. I'm not sure if they are Norici or our allies and to be honest, I don't care.

UO0014.jpg

We have our hill and that's our only hope.

UO0015.jpg

I'm seriously surprised my pc didn't exploded yet. I made small internet research and those crashes could be video-card related. Even EB shouldn't crash that often and people said that's may be sign of video-card giving up. And I belive them, you know why? because fan on my video card died... months ago.

UO0016.jpg

That's our allies... running away. Well, if Chatti are fucking bailing out it means shit is going bad.

UO0018.jpg

Someone's general just died and since it was infantry dude I'm pretty sure it was general of our second army.

UO0019.jpg

But we are still looking good.

UO0020.jpg

Shit shall be slashed no matter what. Hills worked on Rome and Carthage, they also should work on Norici.

UO0021.jpg

Our cavalry killed one of Norici general but their army is so experienced I doubt it will make any difference.

UO0023.jpg

Our second army is gone and our line is getting thinner.

UO0024.jpg

UO0008.jpg

FAILZUG CHOO CHOO CHOO!!

UO0026.jpg

Ok, let's call it a draw...

UO0027.jpg

No? Well, ok.

UO0028.jpg

I think it's fair to say that we got fucking bitchslapped.

UO0029.jpg

DUDE, YOU JUST LOST 2 GENERALS IN ONE BATTLE. MARRY OFF ONE OF YOUR DAUGHTERS MAYBE?!

No, I refuse! They are precious to me.

UO0001.jpg

And now Carthaginians tries to relieve Oxtraca. Even though our army here is quite beaten-up I think we can do this.

UO0002.jpg

And we have nice wooded area in the center of the map. I like those because they make carthaginian skirmishers useless.

UO0004.jpg

Carthaginian were charging straight into us but then just stopped and gave our slingers couple of free shots on their back.

UO0005.jpg

I think they stopped to send some soldiers to scout the woods but their stumbled upon our hidden units.

UO0006.jpg

Then general stab-fest broken out. And I'm happy with that because we managed to avoid javelin exchange.

UO0007.jpg

Our "light" (they are not really light) infantry managed to rout enemy skirmishers and we can start collapsing our right flank on carthaginian center.

UO0008.jpg

To my amazement, Elite African Pikemen routed after getting hit by javelins that did pretty much nothing to them.

UO0009.jpg

Then this whole battle just went FUBAR for carthaginians so we just sent our cavalry to have some fun.

UO0010.jpg

Some elites are still fighting but they are completely surrounded.

UO0011.jpg

UO0012.jpg

I think the game just took pity on me. Unfortunately we didn't get Oxtraca for this.

UO0013.jpg

Goddamit, they just brought fresh army from Africa.

UO0014.jpg

I'm re-raising armies that we lost but I don't have any idea how to deal with Boii to be honest (Battle with Norici was just a test, we don't need their land).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Maybe try building a fort, a'la Caesar? Have one army besiege the city, and another (or several other armies?) block the doomstack with a fort (or several forts?) from relieving the siege. The doomstack will besiege your own forts, but hey, shit happens, and you'll have enough time to starve out the garrison. Near the end of your main siege, you might want to engage the doomstack with a throwaway stack to relieve the siege of your fort. It'll then respawn, of course, but at worst it will only besiege your fort again, instead of starving it out.

You'll be needing 2-3 armies for this, plus a throwaway stack for breaking fort sieges. Depending on circumstances you might want to build forts with smaller garrisons, ment only to stop the doomstack for a single turn, so you have time to build siege equipment. Once that's done don't bother with relieving the siege of your fort and assault the walls. But I don't think that's the best of ideas - far better to wait them out and face a half-starved garrison.

Maybe try building a fort, a'la Caesar? Have one army besiege the city, and another (or several other armies?) block the doomstack with a fort (or several forts?) from relieving the siege. The doomstack will besiege your own forts, but hey, shit happens, and you'll have enough time to starve out the garrison. Near the end of your main siege, you might want to engage the doomstack with a throwaway stack to relieve the siege of your fort. It'll then respawn, of course, but at worst it will only besiege your fort again, instead of starving it out.

You'll be needing 2-3 armies for this, plus a throwaway stack for breaking fort sieges. Depending on circumstances you might want to build forts with smaller garrisons, ment only to stop the doomstack for a single turn, so you have time to build siege equipment. Once that's done don't bother with relieving the siege of your fort and assault the walls. But I don't think that's the best of ideas - far better to wait them out and face a half-starved garrison.

That might have been good Idea against Norici but I don't think it will work against Boii, they have too many stacks and nice open field around their town. Well, I will keep trying and I wait for further ideas :salute:. Also, it's strange feeling, we just lost 6 thousand, expensive soldiers and my only reaction was "meh" because we are filthy rich and even Scandinavia have population of 20K dudes. If we had such losses as Arche Seleukeia it would be a huge problem because we had, I think... three recruitment centers? as Sweboz we can recruit soldiers pretty much everywhere (and pretty much every place but Iberia and Illyria have population of 15k+).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
That might have been good Idea against Norici but I don't think it will work against Boii, they have too many stacks and nice open field around their town.

Multiple forts with expandable garrisons, then. Three forts and the Boii city itself should be enough to stop attempts at breaking the siege. Then, of course, assault the walls as soon as you produce any siege equipment. Otherwise the doomstacks will start assaulting your forts, and breaking through, since the garrisons will be small.

Variation: a besieging army, a ring of extremely undermanned forts surrounding it (like: one shitty unit each), And an army or two waiting outside that ring to jump the Boii doomstack as soon as it besieges a fort. The doomstack will of course respawn later (so maybe try not to eliminate it completely, but leave some units alive?), but it will again be stopped by the ring of forts, allowing you to continue your siege.

How many doomstacks do the Boii have, anyway? I always thought it was just one.

That might have been good Idea against Norici but I don't think it will work against Boii, they have too many stacks and nice open field around their town.

Multiple forts with expandable garrisons, then. Three forts and the Boii city itself should be enough to stop attempts at breaking the siege. Then, of course, assault the walls as soon as you produce any siege equipment. Otherwise the doomstacks will start assaulting your forts, and breaking through, since the garrisons will be small.

Variation: a besieging army, a ring of extremely undermanned forts surrounding it (like: one shitty unit each), And an army or two waiting outside that ring to jump the Boii doomstack as soon as it besieges a fort. The doomstack will of course respawn later (so maybe try not to eliminate it completely, but leave some units alive?), but it will again be stopped by the ring of forts, allowing you to continue your siege.

How many doomstacks do the Boii have, anyway? I always thought it was just one.

Three + city garrison I think. I will try your "fort strategy" because it sounds rather good. Anyway, forts or not, we have to take Boii land "legit". I "cheated" my way through rome by camping on bridges so now we have to pay the price for it.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Can't wait to see how it goes. My Romani game is in its early stages, so I won't be trying it out, anytime soon myself.

Come to think of it, RTW severely lacks one option: to offer a besieged city the chance to surrender in return for not pillaging it.

Can't wait to see how it goes. My Romani game is in its early stages, so I won't be trying it out, anytime soon myself.

Come to think of it, RTW severely lacks one option: to offer a besieged city the chance to surrender in return for not pillaging it.

Well, this can be sort-of done by trying to bribe the city. I would rather want RTW to have attrition. It seems like they wanted to do that because units have "food" stat in their EDU and there is "supply" option in preference.txt but it was never implemented unfortunately.

There should be an update ready today and I will try to make it longer and more "progress oriented" because last updates were a bit on a short side (at least looking at how much in-game time passed during those).

And I think I really took care of those constant crashes by reducing resolution back to 1024x768 and changing my virtual memory, page file thingy (It was set to 3 gigs for some stupid fucking reason, I reduced it to 1).

Whitewolf

Novice
Actually the fort strategy worked well enough for me in my campaigns, but seeing Ivar get raped deserves a bump.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom