Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Phantasie! (1st dungeon)

Luzur

Good Sir
"Duckie" is my go-to slightly-sarcastic-but-not-in-a-mean-way term of endearment. Imagine it said with a wry twist of the mouth and you've got it.

ah, i thought you called me "your little duckling" or something.

Also, if I had the means, I'd redo Phantasie entirely. New graphics, adaptable (if for DS) to the touchscreen interface (touching buildings for access to their functionality - like the Bank or Guild - instead of simple panels), and possibly do a kind of Eye of the Beholder view of the dungeon on the bottom screen (and the standard overview on the top). The more sadistic could also have a "disarm the trap" minigame, or just let the thief do it.

*thinks of Oblivions minigames and shivers*

This so could work. GIVE ME FUNDING AND A DEV TEAM, STAT! ...Oh, and the rights to remake it. Bugger. That's one of the harder parts.

dunno if it would be any problem, since SSI got canned permanently in 1994 (that year had to be the darkest year of them all, SSI gets canned, Commodore goes belly up and i broke my wrist. :x), i think Ubisoft was the last owner of the brand name.

my guess is that its pretty much freeware by now.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Minigames = something publishers tend to like, ESPECIALLY, I would imagine, if you're dealing with tech like the DS's touchscreen. Also would make them skippable, as said - if you want to try and disarm a trap "yourself" or just take a chance on your thief. Also a little widget for people to go OOO SOOO INNOVATIVE about.

And actually, sadly, as I've heard it - licenses are harder to manage when the company is defunct. If you did a game on your own with it and didn't try to sell it, sure. But if you're making a commercial product, you gotta hunt down all the loose ends and nail those fuckers down TIGHT or you're in big trouble if someone decides to get litigious on your ass.

Also, I used to call close female friends "chickadee" back in the day - it was that kind of non-sequitur use of avian nicknames that made me turn it up to 11 with Vadin'ya in SoZ. Just FYI.

Also MOAR GAEM PLZ.

So, how far has everyone gotten with these? I was going to live vicariously by watching this thread, but little seems to have been posted about the actual games for a while. Maybe I'll just have to play through them again.

DaveO

Erudite
I have a full party of six adventurers ready to go. I'm waiting to see if Sheek picks up where he left off. I'll give this thread another week or two to resume. If the adventures don't continue, I'll proceed with my play. Though the party you knew is out the window, and I have the spread of professions I mentioned earlier. That includes a Minotaur fighter and a Dwarf that can be helpful in #3.

Yeah, since this Let's Play didn't seem to go anywhere, I created a party as well. I decided to go with some less conventional race/class combinations:

Sprite Fighter
Minotaur Thief
Dwarf Wizard
Elf Ranger
Gnome Priest
Halfling Monk

DaveO

Erudite
If I do this Let's Play, it gets full honors. I'll let you know what that means if the deadline arrives without a gameplay update. I finished one long game series, but I'm up to doing another in conjunction with another series play I just started. I'm still doing the wait though in honor of the original poster.

Luzur

Good Sir
And actually, sadly, as I've heard it - licenses are harder to manage when the company is defunct. If you did a game on your own with it and didn't try to sell it, sure. But if you're making a commercial product, you gotta hunt down all the loose ends and nail those fuckers down TIGHT or you're in big trouble if someone decides to get litigious on your ass.

*serious eyes* if anyone can do it, it would be you and your wonderful cans, Annie.

So, how far has everyone gotten with these? I was going to live vicariously by watching this thread, but little seems to have been posted about the actual games for a while. Maybe I'll just have to play through them again.
I have a full party of six adventurers ready to go. I'm waiting to see if Sheek picks up where he left off. I'll give this thread another week or two to resume. If the adventures don't continue, I'll proceed with my play. Though the party you knew is out the window, and I have the spread of professions I mentioned earlier. That includes a Minotaur fighter and a Dwarf that can be helpful in #3.

so we will get 3 Let's Play threads then? im gonna go and notify Sheek that his presence is required.

DaveO

Erudite
If I do a Let's Play, it will be an entirely new thread. I'll be doing the Apple II version if I start up the group.

Luzur

Good Sir
will you be using the APL24win emulator then?
there is a bug in the earlier versions that can hang up your games if you pressed some combination of keys, dunno if they have fixed that yet.

DaveO

Erudite
I found that the Apple version seems to be cracked and allows much more profession choice. The Apple emulator won't let me record, which is my primary desire. I went and found a C64 emulator and the ROMs and have pretty much the whole group again with the exception of the Minotaur. I have plenty of time to fill in that last slot. The things we do for a game... :oops:

This game has a really badass cover. A giant tentacle bear with a tiny man riding on his shoulder, and the Green Arrow is all in the middle like "Your move motherfucker." If I saw this sitting on the shelf these days I would just have to uncontrollably walk forward and buy it.

DaveO

Erudite
Slot #1 is assigned to Annie. Annie the Minotaur!

P.S. - SSI games had a lot of good covers. I'm so tempted to say it's the fantasy illustrator Elmore.

Phantasie1_Guild.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
actually its someone named White that made the cover for Phantasie.

and name the Thief Luzur. now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rufus_T_Firefly said:
This game has a really badass cover. A giant tentacle bear with a tiny man riding on his shoulder, and the Green Arrow is all in the middle like "Your move motherfucker."

At first glance this cover looks kinda insignificant. I think it's the hue in the background that does it. But otherwise, I agree with you.

Ahh.. Apple 2 graphics.. they BURNS US. Commodore 64 > All other computers of the 80s other than the Amiga.

But can I call dibs on the Monk?

Name him Luigi. I name all my Monks that. I forget why, but my current retconning is that in the party of adventurers I take in games that allow me to make such things is the snot nosed teenager (who is usually a Bard) can't pronounce the monk's actual name so he gets called Luigi instead. (The Paladin is named Guido for similar reasons.)

And Luigi uses Muy Thai kickboxing.

DaveO

Erudite
No problem. I've not started up the group yet, but I'll likely be doing so next week. Still two characters left for anyone wanting to romp around(the priest and the ranger). Annie promises to be on her best behavior. :lol:

DaveO

Erudite
Argh. Apple II does not allow recording, Atari is unstable, so it's up to the IBM version. Sheesh. I learned that making a move to the next town does not help any for getting good weapons. I'll have to try my luck with my rolled party. It seems that Wizard is by far the hardest to roll decent stats with decent hit points. There are slight party race changes, but the composition is the same: Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Priest, Thief, Wizard. I'll post the music from the Atari version soon. Not a complete loss from a quick dry run.

P.S. - Annie is even more powerful in terms of hit points!

phantasi_000.png

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Luzur said:
ah, the distinct classic feeling of magenta, black, white and blue of early PC's.
Aye, that is one era that I have barely touched, save for Might And Magic: Book I and The Bard's Tale.

It seems to be a mid-80s thing, when monochrome was out of date, and games managed to use a few basic colours.

I honestly could never get into games of this era, especially not Beneath The Root and Wilderness, because black-and-white is okay, limited butt-ugly colours are not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom