Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Planescape: Torment.

bat_boro

Arcane
Hello, I'm playing it for the first time and have a few questions, too.
First of all, how do I identify items? When I go to some shop and when I see the option to identify item, it just doesn't work. I mean - it's there, but I can't select an item to identify.

Secondly, I'm not very good at the whole D&D thingy, but I thought I would play as a mage, so I build my char like this:
str 10
int 17
wis 16
dex 9
con 12
cha 14

I'm level 5 right now. Is this a good build?
I mean will I have any problems obtaining the nameless one's memories or something?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, good stats thus far. When you level up, try only to raise Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom, those are the important stats. They give you cool new opportunities and more options in dialogue.

To identify an item, *first* select that item, then click identify.

JoKa

Cipher
MaskedMartyr said:
The farthest I ever got was to the "rich" part of the Hive (I guess?), where you run into a quest where you have to ask this warehouse fool to give you some crap, and then run back to this bandito dude to give him the stuff, where he then explains some story about some woman and I forgot the rest. Either way I couldn't finish the quest so I assumed it was broken.

I might try PS:T with this new pack stuff.

the quest is not broken in any way, you should try again with more patience ;)

bat_boro

Arcane
JarlFrank, thanks, I think I got it
Good to know I've not fucked my char though
Btw, it seems this game has one of the best writting styles I've seen in a game ever. The dialogs are truly great.

"What can change the nature of a man?"
maaan, I got this line in my mind for days now, and I just can't figure out the answer (I'm in the Hive now, at the very beginning)
a great game, indeed

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You'll know the answer to that question at the end of that game. Well, kinda. Let me just tell you that the ending is the best ending I've ever seen in an RPG. And try to avoid spoilers. All of them. Finish the game before you read through PST discussion threads.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Wisdom allows you to pass most checks and gives you a bonus to every experience you gain, making it the most important Torment stat.

spiwak

Novice
Although not a terrible idea, I have to say I probably won't be reading this Let's Play. I think LPs are better suited to less discussed/less played games or games that could make a funny LP.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, but it's not exactly Torment that is being LPed here, but the modded Torment, which is something new and different. I personally am quite curious about the changes they make to the game.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
DarkUnderlord said:
I played Planescape: Torment once. I got down to the basement where some thing attacked me. I managed to get through that but then ended up in a part where zombies were after me. I got bored of the combat and meant to play it again later. I didn't.

Everything is clear now

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
((OK, I used a character editor to raise all stats to 18. :cheater: And I'll try to speed things up a bit, but this is still gonna be a hella long LP.))

After talking to Dhall I returned to my investigation of the zombies.

Screen01.jpg

Screen02.jpg

Good thing I always carry my scalpel.

Screen03.jpg

No more corpse-chatting for me.

Screen04.jpg

Screen05.jpg

Let my contract number serve as the key? What?

Screen06.jpg

Ah, so it's 1201, meaning upper right, lower right, upper left, upper right.

Screen11.jpg

Success!

Screen12.jpg

All this for a fashion accessory? Pffft.

Screen14.jpg

Screen16.jpg

Screen17.jpg

Screen20.jpg

Screen22.jpg

So they were my fist irons after all.
Screen24.jpg

Screen25.jpg

Screen27.jpg

The Dustmen seem pretty shoddy. This guy's blood got everywhere.
Screen28.jpg

Screen29.jpg

Might as well have some fun with the barmies.
Screen30.jpg

Do you have to lop off your ears to join this place? Sick bastards!
Screen32.jpg

Hellooooo? Anybody Hoooome?
Screen33.jpg

Don't kill me, demon lady!

Screen34.jpg

Oh, I get it, you can't carry things since you have claws. What do you do when people don't wake up from the dead?

Screen37.jpg

I must know.

Screen39.jpg

Screen43.jpg

Look carefully and you can see her titties.

Screen44.jpg

Must be embalming fluid. This was next to my slab, so I was gonna be covered in the shit. Good thing I woke up when I did.

Screen45.jpg

Might as well put the zombie out of its misery. Can zombies be in misery?

Screen46.jpg

Another reason to never listen to Morte. Of course I wanted to do that, it was AWESOME.

Screen47.jpg

Time to run around hitting zombies with their own arms.

Screen50.jpg

And the first part of my quest is done. Needle and Thread, consider yourself found.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
JoKa said:
MaskedMartyr said:
The farthest I ever got was to the "rich" part of the Hive (I guess?), where you run into a quest where you have to ask this warehouse fool to give you some crap, and then run back to this bandito dude to give him the stuff, where he then explains some story about some woman and I forgot the rest. Either way I couldn't finish the quest so I assumed it was broken.

I might try PS:T with this new pack stuff.

the quest is not broken in any way, you should try again with more patience ;)

I spent 4 hours on it.

I went back and forth between the warehouse dude and the bandito, and I don't remember why but he took my object and acted like he didn't have it.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Planescape: Torment Intro

Screen53-1.jpg

Again, proof of the Dustmen's incompetence.

Screen54-1.jpg

((I'm cheating so that I can get as many dialog options in one playthrough as possible.))

Screen56.jpg

Screen57.jpg

Screen58-1.jpg

Oh goodie, more fucking with mentally challenged people.

Screen59.jpg

Screen60.jpg

Screen62.jpg

Screen63.jpg

Hahahahahahaah that actually worked.

Screen64-1.jpg

Say there "zombie", your finger bone's looking a little crooked.

Screen67.jpg

Screen70.jpg

These dusties don't need a spy, they need a manager. Sloppiest mofos I've ever seen.

Screen72-1.jpg

Hey, if even someone as dumb as you can see that, I can see that. For fuck's sake, there's a guy writing names into a book and his only aspiration is to die!

Screen75-1.jpg

Screen76-1.jpg

Screen77-1.jpg

That doesn't explain why Pharod's corpses showed "signs of preparation" and "Age of Shell prevents identification" in the logbook, though. Something else is going on.

Screen81.jpg

Yes, some berk peeled me, as I am obviously a banana.

Screen83.jpg

Screen85-1.jpg

You're just full of information, aren't you?

Screen90-1.jpg

Yep, the Dusties are the stupid ones, aren't they, not checking out female corpses and all.
Screen91.jpg

Be right back.

Screen92-1.jpg

I need embalming fluid and thread for Ei-Vene, but I also need it to become a zombie. The "zombie" gave me thread and embalming fluid when I relieved him of his post, and I had thread from the zombie with stitches, but I still needed another embalming fluid to do both. Luckily, one was on a shelf in the next room over.

Screen94.jpg

Screen95.jpg

Screen98-1.jpg

Hey Morte, maybe I should ask him for lady parts... wait, no, that's a terrible idea.

Screen99.jpg

Screen101.jpg

Screen102-1.jpg

Screen103.jpg

((The first time I did this, I forgot to turn off auto-run, so I had to reload to get these pics))

Screen104.jpg

((But you get the zombie animations. The only thing wrong is that you can't talk to anyone as a zombie. However, you'll be able to survive the third floor without good conversation skills, at the price of not being able to run. The many paths of Planescape: Torment))

Screen105.jpg

((TNO zombie portrait, something a lot of you might have missed))

Screen106-1.jpg

All right, the disguise is getting old. Time to throw it off and run to Ei-Vene.

Screen108.jpg

Screen109.jpg

((So much work was put into this mortuary section that I can hardly believe this game was completed. There are three huge encounters in the form of Morte, Dhall, and Vaxis, and dozens of smaller ones, but what really awes me is all of the cross-referencing. For example, the receiving room logbook actually mentions items strewn about the mortuary, so that it's possible to link the fist irons and 13 coppers found to TNO. This is another great cross-referencing vision as a quest reward, as we'll see #42 on the next floor))

Screen111-1.jpg

Yeah, lady, that was nice, but you sent me to get some stuff, and, well, I'm still holding it.

Screen112-2.jpg

For fuck's sakes! I got it!

Screen114-1.jpg

Screen115-1.jpg

Get. Your. Hands. Off. Me.

Screen116-1.jpg

hahahaha youre just jealous

Screen117-1.jpg

((We'll see another zombie with writing in the Hive. Again, stunning amount of cross-referencing.))

Screen118-2.jpg

Ah, why the hell not, it must be bodily mutilation day somewhere.

Screen119-1.jpg

Wow. That actually felt *good*.
((One of the things I wish this game had was a consequence for letting someone mess with your body. It seems like the more you fuck yourself up, the stronger you get.))

Screen121-2.jpg

That was an illuminating experience, Ei-Vene.

Screen123-1.jpg

I left a note for the Dustmen on the body. It said, "You can take him off of life support. He's dead."

Screen124-1.jpg

Screen125-1.jpg

Could be useful, but I have no idea what to do with it.
((The earring was referenced in the log book as well.))

Screen127-1.jpg

Whatever.

Screen130-1.jpg

Adios, floor. Time to find a crooked bone on floor 3.

Screen131-2.jpg

Next time: Skeletons, inquisitive Dustmen, and (hopefully) an escape.

New journal entires:
Screen132-2.jpg

Screen133-2.jpg

Murk

Arcane
Helton said:
Usually I wouldn't bother but this Let's Play is bad news. You'll ruin the game for yourself worrying about it and you'll ruin it for anyone who hasn't played it who bothers to read. And holy fuck you've barely stumbled out of the first room and you've written a novel. All around, just no.

i agree with helton, this is going to hurt you more than you may realize

if you want - post screens of major events, but avoid the actual meager majority

spiwak

Novice
Yea, perhaps quit the LP and instead play through the game on your own. After all, how many LPs have actually finished? All the work and shit would personally make me lose interest in actually playing after a while.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
spiwak said:
Yea, perhaps quit the LP and instead play through the game on your own. After all, how many LPs have actually finished? All the work and shit would personally make me lose interest in actually playing after a while.

It's not that much work, really. I'm mostly just taking screenshots. I'll only quit this if there's no interest in it. Plus, it motivates me to complete it for once.

Murk

Arcane
if you say so, i plan to follow this - and your updates seem pretty quick paced too

it'll give me plenty to occupy myself with at work, for sure

spiwak said:
After all, how many LPs have actually finished?
I remember a couple months ago a lot of us did a Fallout/Fallout 2 LP and there was multiple people actually getting through them, plus it was an Iron Man.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Oh, you should know that Zombie No. 42 from that flashback with Ei-Vene is actually a Skeleton No. 42. It took me 4 or 5 playthroughs to find this out. I kept trying to find a zombie numbered 42, but always failed to do so.

spiwak

Novice
Jaime Lannister said:
spiwak said:

It's not that much work, really. I'm mostly just taking screenshots. I'll only quit this if there's no interest in it. Plus, it motivates me to complete it for once.
Fair enough. I'd just hate to see you quit the game early after getting tired of making the LP. But continue on, good sir, and enjoy the game while you're at it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Are you going to take screenshots every time the conversations box updates? Seriously, man, stick with avatars (and for the love of god shrink them) and run with a certain personality instead. (Chaotic Good? Whatevah.) Because this is taking way too long.

jaylittle

Scholar
spiwak said:
I agree. A game like Planescape Torment demands your full attention. It's not like playing FF7 in which you have to divert 75% of your brain to another activity while playing, lest you be forced to jam a dirty ice pick through your brain stem and stop the pain.

Oh and damn you Jaime Lannister, for this thread has inspired me to finally go through PST a second time. I can't express in words how great this game was. And that is the reason I haven't played it again since I first beat it three years ago. I'm deeply afraid that my idea of just how great it is might suffer on subsequent play thoughs. Still, I'd like nothing more than to murder that traitorous angel scum. Now that I've decided to be outright evil, that opportunity will be mine :)

But no mistake, in my mind PST is the greatest role playing game ever unleashed upon this planet. It is truly the Lord of the RPGs. One RPG to rule them all, one RPG to bind them.

MasPingon

Arcane
Great idea on LP tread, but you ruined it by editing your character stats, what's the point of playing now? You should just start with high charisma, wisdom and int.

/

81.gif

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
If you don't know already, its imperative that you don't kill all the zombies in the Mortuary. You can come back later and speak to them after you gain the ability to talk to the dead.

I haven't tested it out myself but thats what I've figured.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom