Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima IV Part 7: Dungeons Are Not Spiritual Places

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Part 7: Dungeons Are Not Spiritual Places

It is now time to become an eight-parts avatar, recruit all seven companions, find the stones, and assemble the three-parts key.

First, here is a little introduction to the dungeons. With the exception of humility, all the virtues have a dungeon opposing them. Here is a list of the dungeons, their opposing virtue, and the stone that should be found in them.
Code:
Covetous	Sacrifice	Orange
Deceit	Honesty	Blue
Despise	Compassion	Yellow
Destard	Valor	Red
Hythloth	Spirituality	White
Shame	Honor	Purple
Wrong	Justice	Green

ultimaiv507.png

First I let Geoffrey kill some monsters. Like in the last game, XP is only awarded to the person who delivers the killing blow to a monster.

ultimaiv512.png

Here is a pack of Hydra, the two-headed monster from Greek mythology. They are not too tough.

ultimaiv514.png

This is a pack of Lava Lizards. Their attacks can sometimes create a lava tile, which causes a character to take damage while s/he is on it.

ultimaiv515.png

After levelling-up a while, I head for the Shrine of Honesty on Dagger Isle.

ultimaiv516.png

As you might have guessed, the correct mantra is AHM.

ultimaiv517.png

This is another runic symbol for "I". This is beginning to feel like an episode of Wheel of Fortune.

ultimaiv519.png

Sweet! I now decide to track down Jude, the poor beggar who knows of the skull of Mondain.

ultimaiv520.png

Like I thought, he resides in the poor house in Minoc.

Skull.

ultimaiv521.png

Yes, I swear.

ultimaiv523.png

He must mean that both moons must be new. I then head for the Folley Tavern in Paws to find some mandrake roots.

ultimaiv527.png

ultimaiv528.png

I now need to find Calumny. He lives in Yew. Before I do that, I give a bunch of gold to beggars to increase my Compassion. As usual, the amount does not seem to matter; it only matters that I give it often.

ultimaiv529.png

Finally!

ultimaiv530.png

Here is a liche and a daemon. Neither of them are too tough.

ultimaiv531.png

I head back to the Shrine of Compassion on Lock Lake.

ultimaiv532.png

ultimaiv533.png

I think this is another "N".

I then head for Yew to find Calumny.

ultimaiv537.png

Mandrake.

ultimaiv538.png

The Fens of the Dead is the marsh located between Paws and Trinsic. The Bloody Plains, named because it was the site of the last battle with the remnants of Exodus's army that I never knew he/she/it had, are located northwest of Vesper. Since the Bloody Plains are closer, I head there.

ultimaiv539.png

This one tile of marsh has to hold something.

ultimaiv540.png

I search during new moons and find what I am looking for. However I only get 2-9 mandrake roots per find, and then I have to leave the world map and re-enter before I can find more. One trick for speeding-up the process is to stand in the non-poisonous square(s) adjacent to the mandrake root, save, and reload the game. It always defaults to new moons, and if I am fast enough, I can move in, pick-up the mandrake and move out. If I was poisoned or I did not pick-up enough, I reload.

I now head for the Axe-and-Ale tavern in Vesper.

ultimaiv544.png

Nightshade.

ultimaiv545.png

ultimaiv546.png

This is a balron. Since it can fly, I cannot just lose it by sailing away.

ultimaiv547.png

Shit! These guys are tough because they have a tendency to put the party to sleep and because they pack a punch.

Since Paws is on the way to Trinsic, I stop in.

ultimaiv548.png

I never noticed this secret door before. I wonder where it leads?

ultimaiv549.png

Holy shit! There is a secret reagent shop behind this door! I bet business is pretty bad, though. They offer the best deals on garlic and ginseng. I now head for Trinsic to meet Virgil. He is the guy that likes poison fields.

ultimaiv550.png

Since not that many useful spells require nightshade, I will probably not bother picking it up.

ultimaiv551.png

Instead I will pick up some mandrake in the Fens of the Dead. When I combine the reload trick and sail for Paws and back, gathering enough mandrake is not too tedious. Now I can cast spells like Resurrect and Tremor!

Since the reagents shop in Buccaneer's Den has the best deals on black pearls, I head there. It is kind of hidden, though.

ultimaiv552.png

To get to the secret door I have to have a Dispel spell ready.

I now mix up a bunch of spells: Heal, Cure, Exit, Ladder Up, Ladder Down, Resurrect, Fireball, and Tremor. I then head for Yew to recruit Jaana.

ultimaiv559.png

Now there are three! Before I descend into the dungeons, I decide to check-up with Hawkwind on how I am doing with Valor and Spirituality.

ultimaiv560.png

I have now defeated enough enemies without fleeing from battles to ascend.

ultimaiv561.png

Hot damn! I have all the virtues down pat now! Since I will soon be an eight-parts avatar, I now head for Paws to speak with Sir Simon and Lady Tessa about the location of the mystics.

First I speak with Lady Tessa.

Mystics.

ultimaiv565.png

Yes.

ultimaiv566.png

Next I speak with Lord Simon.

ultimaiv567.png

Simon: Hast thou attained enlightenment in all eight virtues?

Yes.

ultimaiv568.png

I now head for the Shrine of Valor in the Valorian Isles.

ultimaiv569.png

ultimaiv570.png

ultimaiv571.png

This is the runic symbol for "F".

I now head for Minoc and enter the moongate when both moons are full.

ultimaiv573.png

ultimaiv574.png

Hot damn! I am now an eight-parts avatar!

ultimaiv575.png

This is the runic symbol for "T". Let's see, we have three Is, two Ns, one T, one Y, and one F. I wonder what that spells? :roll:

BTW, Did you notice the little ankh symbol that has appeared where the dash used to be? That symbol means I have what it takes to enter the Codex Chamber in the Abyss (provided I have the keys and passwords, etc). However, I still have to follow the eight virtues; if I commit an unvirtuous act (steal from a chest in town, attack a non-evil creature, talk proudly, cheat the reagent woman, flee from battle, etc), I will become unelevated in the related virtue, and I will have to raise it and make the pilgrimage to the shrine all over again.

Since I am now an eight-parts avatar, I head for Empath Abbey to pick up the Mystic Armor.

ultimaiv577.png

ultimaiv578.png

Hot damn! Let's head for Serpent's Hold!

ultimaiv579.png

On the way I notice this patch of islands. It looks like Mondain's skull is buried here.

ultimaiv581.png

Sweet! While Mystic Swords do pretty good damage, I am still better off with ranged weapons, so I sell a few for 3500 gold a pop to buy Jaana and me a pair of magic wands. Don't worry; I can find another pair of eight if I sell all of them.

ultimaiv582.png

I finally buy a sextant and stock up on keys and magic gems. Since sulfurous ash, the sole ingredient of the Light spell, is much cheaper than torches, I don't buy them.

ultimaiv583.png

I now head for Shame, the dungeon opposing Honor, which is located on the shores of the Lost Lake west of Britain.

ultimaiv584.png

It sure is dark down here!

ultimaiv585.png

After casting Light, I notice a ladder. This ladder will lead down to level 7.

ultimaiv586.png

This dungeon room is full of undead. Since the stone is located on level two, I take the ladder back up and cast Ladder Down, which teleports me to a random location on the next level. This is useful for exploring the dungeons, since parts of a dungeon level are sometimes cut-off from others.

ultimaiv589.png

One down; seven to go!

ultimaiv590.png

I now descend to level 8 and view it with a magic gem. The red marker indicates my position. The white boxes indicate rooms, which could be combat rooms or could lead to the various altars. The rooms in the north and west lead to the altars of Truth and Courage, since Honor is composed of Truth and Courage. However, I explore a bit.

ultimaiv593.png

Fortunately, the game does not consider leaving this dungeon room a cowardly act; especially since I cannot even reach the enemies.

ultimaiv594.png

Here I cast Tremor, which does a lot of damage to all enemies, to give the monsters a really bad day.

ultimaiv595.png

This is the altar room of Truth. Random monsters will appear whenever I enter it. Shame is back east; Wrong is to the west; Deceit is to the north, and Hythloth is to the south. I head for Deceit.

ultimaiv596.png

I explore this level and then head up to the next one.

ultimaiv598.png

The blue stone is in a corner a little ways below the screen. Those Ts represent traps.

ultimaiv599.png

Here is a pack of gremlins. As usual, they do no damage, but they steal some food with every attack. I use ranged weapons and Tremor to keep them at bay.

ultimaiv600.png

Like in the last game, a sudden gust of wind will extinguish any light source I have.

ultimaiv601.png

I now come across another field that I have to dispel.

ultimaiv602.png

If my HP or MP is running low, I can rest in the dungeons.

ultimaiv603.png

Hot damn! Two down; six to go!

ultimaiv604.png

I now head back to the altar room and head west to Wrong.

ultimaiv605.png

Fortunately, the stone, represented on the map by the ankh symbol, is on the eighth floor. Stones are mostly on the lower floors, so the altar rooms make it quite convenient to search for them. I then head for the room just east of the stone.

ultimaiv606.png

Holy shit that is a bunch of slimes! Fortunately, Tremor makes quick work of them. However, it does not look like there is any way to go west. There is not even a secret door.

ultimaiv607.png

To find it, I first have to dispel the two fields in the northwest corner of the room.

ultimaiv608.png

When I step on the northwest tile, the way is revealed.

ultimaiv609.png

Three down; five to go! I now head for the altar room of Courage.

ultimaiv612.png

I head north to the dungeon Destard.

ultimaiv614.png

Since the stone is not on this level, I head for the northernmost ladder up to the next level.

ultimaiv615.png

Haha! It is here! I guess this place wraps around which is why the gem is acting funky.

ultimaiv616.png

I am at the halfway point now! I now head back to the altar room and into the dungeon Covetous.

ultimaiv619.png

It looks like there is no way to go but up!

ultimaiv620.png

This is my lucky day! The stone is behind a hidden door which is not blocked by any combat rooms.

ultimaiv622.png

Five down; three to go! Since two stones are located on the overworld, this means that I have only one dungeon left to plumb.

ultimaiv623.png

ultimaiv624.png

These are just two weird dungeon room I wanted to share with you. Notice the cyclone? I make sure it does not touch any of my party.

I then make my way to the altar room of Love.

ultimaiv625.png

I head north to the dungeon Despise. The stone is located on the fifth floor, and since I am feeling adventurous, I take the long way.

ultimaiv626.png

Here is a map of the eight level.

ultimaiv627.png

After dispelling the field, I head to the nearest ladder.

ultimaiv628.png

On the way I find a magic orb. Touching it will subtract two hundred hitpoints.

ultimaiv629.png

However it also increases my dexterity. There are more orbs, but they only regenerate when I reenter the dungeon.

ultimaiv630.png

This is a reaper. It cannot move, but it has a nasty ranged attack, and it can put my entire party to sleep. A pack of these creatures puts up a nasty fight.

ultimaiv632.png

On level six I find a healing fountain. I have not encountered many fountains in these dungeons.

ultimaiv633.png

Besides the combat rooms, there are also some monsters lurking the hallways. This fight took place on the square containing the ladder to level five, so it is featured in the fight. That is a nice touch.

I forgot to take a picture of the map view of level five. The gem is north of a row of three rooms.

ultimaiv635.png

This room just contains some sea serpents. However, there is no way to head north!

ultimaiv636.png

Do you see the hidden room just north of where Geoffrey is?

ultimaiv637.png

When he moves there, a wall tile in the south turns into a hidden door.

ultimaiv638.png

I now step there and do a Moses impersonation. This is the second Moses allusion (that I found) in this game.

ultimaiv639.png

I now have six of the stones. I cast Exit to get out of here.

ultimaiv641.png

I make my way back to LB and am rewarded for all my troubles. Since Britain is nearby, I head there to find out the location of the black stone.

NOTE: I actually forgot about this step and did it later. This is why I have all the party members.

ultimaiv674.png

ultimaiv675.png

I remember seeing a Merlin in Cove. I head there.

Stone.

ultimaiv316.png

Gate.

ultimaiv317.png

Moonglow's moongate is the one that opens on the new moons, so I head to Verity Isle and wait.

ultimaiv642.png

I search the ground during new moons, and I find it. There is just one left! While the white stone is no longer in the dungeon Hythloth, I still need to explore it to find what I need to get it. Since Hythloth can be entered from LB's castle, I head back there.

ultimaiv644.png

Since Britain is nearby, I recruit Iolo the bard. The jester is his wife, Gwenno. She will become a companion in the next game.

ultimaiv645.png

I head for the northeast corner of LB's castle and notice a hidden door I have not noticed before.

I head out it and encounter a sheperd.

Name.

Landri: I am Landri.

Job.

Landri: I am here to warn thee!

Warn.

ultimaiv646.png

Yeah, yeah. Tell me something I don't know. What is so perilous about it?

ultimaiv647.png

Thanks for some useful advice for once.

Landri: Wilt thou go on?

Yes.

ultimaiv648.png

Well fuck you too!

ultimaiv649.png

Once I jimmy open the lock, I take the ladder down into Hythloth. This is another weird dungeon since the ladder takes me all the way down to level eight, and I have to work my way back up.

ultimaiv650.png

Instead, I just cast Exit.

ultimaiv651.png

This must be the lighter-than-air device some people have mentioned. It is one of two ways to pick up the white stone.

ultimaiv654.png

Since I have the sextant, I can Locate the coordinates of the balloon: P'C'' O'J''. The map is divided into 16x16 sectors, and each sector is comprised of 16x16 tiles. My current location can be kept with four numbers that each range from zero to fifteen; this means the location can be stored in two bytes. These coordinates represent the 16th sector, third tile in the y-direction and the fifteenth sector, tenth tile in the x-direction as measured from the northwest corner of the map.

ultimaiv653.png

I Board the balloon, but nothing happens. I don't know how to lift off! I then start pressing a bunch of random keys.

ultimaiv655.png

Klimb?! The correct command is KLIMB?! I guess it make sense, but WTF?!

Of the six flying devices in the Ultima series (this one, the magic carpet, the shuttle car, the two space shuttles, and the airplane), this one is BY FAR the most annoying. Like the ones in Ultima II, the balloon travels in "real-time", and I have to slow down DOSBOX to have a prayer of landing safely. Unlike those two, I have pretty much NO control over the balloon. It travels in the direction opposite the wind, and the wind changes randomly. What I am supposed to do is use a bunch of Wind Change spells to navigate it to the single patch of grass in the Serpent Spine mountains, but fuck that! I will show you a far easier way of doing things.

ultimaiv656.png

First, I Land the balloon near Yew.

ultimaiv658.png

Next, I stand at coordinates F'J'', E'A''.

ultimaiv660.png

Then, I cast Blink and select north as my direction.

ultimaiv661.png

Last, I pick up the white stone. That is a lot easier than the other method.

ultimaiv663.png

I now have all eight stones! Whoopie!

Now I need to recruit the four remaining companions. First I head south to Trinsic.

ultimaiv664.png

Uh oh, I ran out of food! When this happens, all characters take damage every step as if they were poisoned.

ultimaiv665.png

Fortunately, a food store is nearby.

ultimaiv666.png

I recruit Dupre, the paladin, who was busy drinking in the Tap. I then head for Magincia.

ultimaiv667.png

The sheperdess Katrina is located due south of the entrance.

ultimaiv668.png

As you can guess, she is pretty useless. I only recruit her because I have to.

ultimaiv669.png

I then recruit Julia the tinker from the poorhouse in Minoc.

ultimaiv670.png

Lastly, I recruit Shamino the ranger in Skara Brae. I now have all eight companions.

ultimaiv671.png

They are helpful in combat, but they are eating me out of house and home. I go through food very quickly now.

I equip everyone with mystic robes, and I sell some more mystic swords for gold. Next, I buy a magic wand for Iolo, and three magic bows for Dupre, Julia and Shamino. Geoffrey and Katrina are stuck with the Mystic Swords. I then buy/find enough reagents to make 99 Cure spells, 99 Heal spells, several Ladder UP/Downs, a few Exits, 99 Fireballs, 50 Tremors, and 10 Resurrects. I probably need more Tremors and Resurrects (not to mention back-up reagents), so I should get more.

Besides getting those, I still need to find the three part key and get the three parts of the word of passage. Then I should be ready to enter the Stygian Abyss.

ultimaiv676.png

I make my way to Hythloth again. All the three altar rooms can be reached from the eighth level of this dungeon.

ultimaiv677.png

I first make my way to the altar of Love. After defeating the daemons, I stand on the altar and use the stones.

ultimaiv681.png

I insert all the stones representing an aspect of love. They are the yellow, orange, green and white stones.

ultimaiv682.png

One down; two to go!

ultimaiv685.png

I then make my way to the altar of Truth.

ultimaiv686.png

These are all the stones representing an aspect of Truth: blue, green, purple and white.

ultimaiv687.png

Hot damn! One left! Since a lot of combat rooms lie between me and the door to the altar of Courage, I head back to the altar of Love and go through Covetous to get there.

ultimaiv692.png

Once again, I stand on the altar and plant all the stones representing an aspect of Courage: red, orange, purple and white.

ultimaiv693.png

The key has been assembled!

I now head west to Shame and cast exit.

ultimaiv695.png

My old ship is still waiting for me.

ultimaiv697.png

LB rewards me with some well-deserve level-ups.

ultimaiv698.png

Since I want Dupre and Jaana to be able to cast Tremor without having to go through the very tedious process of levelling them up (apparently, MP is determined by a character's intelligence, and characters gain some attributes when they level-up), I head for Deceit to find some magic orbs that give bonuses to Intelligence.

ultimaiv699.png

Two of them reside on level three. I make my way through level one to the ladder, cast Ladder Down to get to level three, have Dupre and Jaana both touch one orb, cast Exit and repeat.

ultimaiv700.png

Oh yeah! I now gather enough mandrake to be able to cast 99 Tremors and have enough left over to mix some more. I also make sure I have 99 of every buyable reagent for any emergencies.

ultimaiv701.png

Here is another neat trick. Let a daemon or dragon attack you on the square with the mandrake root and do not pick up the chest it leaves behind. If a chest is on a marshland tile, it can be stood on and crossed without any risk of being poisoned. This makes gathering reagents even more convenient.

Since I still need the word of passage, I head for the Lycaeum to get the first part.

ultimaiv703.png

Word.

ultimaiv704.png

Yes.

ultimaiv705.png

'Ver' is derived from the latin word for 'truth': veritas.

I now make my way to Empath Abbey.

ultimaiv706.png

Word.

ultimaiv707.png

Yes.

ultimaiv708.png

'Amo' is derived from the latin noun amor, which means 'love.'

I now make way to Serpent's Hold to get the last part of the word from Sentri.

ultimaiv709.png

'Cor' seems to be just short for courage.

I now have everything I need to enter the Stygian Abyss. Since the number eight is a recurring motif in this game, it is fitting that my LP will have eight parts.

Until next time!

Elzair

Cipher
I have finally beaten Ultima IV! Boy, that Stygian Abyss sure was grueling! Anyway, I will do the update tomorrow; now I am going to bed.

Later!

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima IV Part 8: I Humbly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Part 8: I Humbly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

It is now time to tackle the Stygian Abyss. It seems that in all classic Ultima games, 90% of the game is just preparation for the final dungeon/fight. Ultima IV is no different. The Stygian Abyss may not be as hard as Minax's palace (in fact, it is about as challenging as Castle Death); however, it is a hell of a lot longer. This dungeon probably took me three hours to beat, and I cannot save in it. Since Ladder Up/Down spells do not work in here, I have to beat it the 'normal' way.

First, I will tie up two loose ends.

ultimaiv710.png

This is what happens when I use the skull of Mondain.

ultimaiv711.png

Everyone around me (except LB 'cuz he's invincible) dies, and I lose points in all my virtues. I just did this to show you and am reloading now.

ultimaiv712.png

I can find Nightshade in Spiritwoods at coordinates J'F'' C'O''.

Enough of that, let's press on.

ultimaiv716.png

Here I am at the mouth of the western cove on the Isle of the Avatar. I first use the wheel of the H.M.S. Cape and then head into the cove.

ultimaiv717.png

Holy shit, that's a lot of pirate ships!

ultimaiv718.png

ultimaiv719.png

I hurry east and get by with only minor scrapes. Now I have to pass through poisonous marshland.

ultimaiv720.png

At the end, most of my party is poisoned. I have to use several Cure spells.

ultimaiv721.png

Oh, for the love of God, don't tell me I have to stand in the middle of a volcano!

ultimaiv722.png

Shit!

ultimaiv723.png

First, I cast the skull of Mondain into the volcano.

ultimaiv725.png

I then ring the bell . . .

ultimaiv726.png

. . . read the book . . .

ultimaiv728.png

. . . and light the candle. This ritual seems to have been taken from an old Roman Catholic excommunication ritual.

Anyway, I now descend into the depths of the Stygian Abyss.

ultimaiv729.png

As usual, I need to cast a Light spell.

ultimaiv730.png

Here is an overview of the first level. I have eight combat rooms between me and the way down.

ultimaiv731.png

I heal everyone and make sure we all have plenty of MP.

ultimaiv733.png

The first room just has a bunch of lava lizards. I cast a Tremor spell that kills most of them and make my way to the next room.

ultimaiv734.png

There were more lava lizards in this room, but I killed them before I got a screenshot. Anyway, I make all my characters go single file across the bridge in the center.

ultimaiv735.png

There were a bunch of Hydra in this room. I head south.

ultimaiv737.png

Here are more lava lizards.

ultimaiv738.png

ultimaiv739.png

Now they are gone. I make my way across the lava.

ultimaiv741.png

Whooh! This is just the intermission. There are still four rooms to go, but I have a minute to make camp and heal everyone.

ultimaiv743.png

Uh oh! One cool thing about dungeon rooms is that I don't lose points in Valor by leaving them without killing everything inside.

ultimaiv745.png

I dispel two of the sleep fields and hightail it south.

ultimaiv746.png

The sixth room is a repeat of the fifth.

ultimaiv748.png

In this room, I need to head east.

ultimaiv749.png

Since I am tired of running, I cast Tremor to lighten things up a bit. Then Dupre dispels the top part of the sleep field, and we head through.

ultimaiv751.png

The final room is just a straight-shot.

Up and to the right is the first altar. I stand beside it and use the stones. At the end of every level, I am asked a question about what virtue is derived from what principle(s), and what its corresponding stone's color is.

ultimaiv756.png

Honesty.

ultimaiv757.png

Blue.

ultimaiv758.png

The way is clear.

ultimaiv759.png

I take the door to the east.

ultimaiv760.png

These sea serpents don't pose much of a threat. I head east.

ultimaiv762.png

The daemon only makes things slightly more challenging. I head south.

ultimaiv765.png

This is another nothing special fight. I head south again.

ultimaiv766.png

Here is my first real challenge! After defeating these monsters, I head east.

ultimaiv769.png

I then rest and heal again.

ultimaiv772.png

I think the ladder ahead is a fake.

ultimaiv773.png

This is an overview of the level. The altar(s) is(are) behind several poison fields behind a secret door.

ultimaiv778.png

Compassion.

ultimaiv779.png

Yellow.

ultimaiv780.png

I make my way to level three.

ultimaiv782.png

This is a pretty small level. I decide to tackle the top rooms, so I head west.

ultimaiv784.png

There is nothing in this room, so I head south.

ultimaiv785.png

It looks like there are only two daemons here.

ultimaiv786.png

However, a Tremor spell reveals otherwise.

ultimaiv787.png

I march my characters into a line and proceed to take potshots at the remaining daemons. Then I head south to the altar.

ultimaiv789.png

Valor.

ultimaiv790.png

Red.

ultimaiv791.png

This is BY FAR the shortest level in the abyss.

ultimaiv795.png

Here is an overview of this level. I head east through the secret door and then north through the other secret passageway.

ultimaiv799.png

I then dispel the southern fire field and head into the two rooms.

ultimaiv800.png

The Undead spell does not seem to be very effective here, but Tremor is. I head north.

ultimaiv801.png

This is another frustrating battle. Gazers can put my party to sleep, and gremlins steal food.

ultimaiv803.png

Justice.

ultimaiv804.png

Green.

ultimaiv805.png

Four down; four to go!

ultimaiv806.png

I start in a room full of fountains. All the fountain in the Stygian Abyss are poisonous BTW.

ultimaiv807.png

Here is a map of the fifth level. In the southeast corner of the starting room there are two doors heading east and south. I take the south door.

ultimaiv810.png

Oh shit! First I cast Tremor, and it kills the zorn and one of the balrons. Next, I kill the dragons. Finally, I dispel the top sleep field and kill the other balron.

ultimaiv814.png

When Jaana walks along the lower edge of the room, the way to the east opens up.

ultimaiv815.png

Alright, I actually have some foreknowledge on this one, and I can't credit myself with this realization. In Ultima IV, a character can either be asleep or poisoned but not both. Being put to sleep cures poison status, and a poisoned character is immune from sleep attacks. Since I know the enemies in the next room will be casting plenty of sleep spells, I create a poison field and have all the characters walk through it.

ultimaiv817.png

I never thought I would say this, but thank god I am poisoned!

ultimaiv821.png

After dispatching the monsters, Iolo heads to the southeast corner of the room, and a passage to the east appears.

ultimaiv822.png

There are no enemies in this room, so I make my way south. The center of the room is probably trapped, so I skirt along the side.

At the end of a long hall is the altar.

ultimaiv825.png

Sacrifice.

ultimaiv826.png

Orange.

ultimaiv827.png

It is now time for level six.

ultimaiv828.png

Here is the map. This level is FAR more complicated than it looks. You would think that the simplest thing to do would be to head for the room in the southeast, but there is no way to get across the room.

ultimaiv831.png

Instead, I head for the secret door in the northwest corner and head east.

ultimaiv833.png

ultimaiv834.png

ultimaiv835.png

I dispatch the sea serpents and head south.

ultimaiv836.png

There were some balron in this room, but I already killed them.

ultimaiv838.png

I try to avoid the twisters while making my way north.

ultimaiv840.png

ultimaiv841.png

This is a frustrating battle. After dispatching the daemons, I align my (awake) party members in a row along the bottom, dispel the field and pelt the shit out of the balron. I then repeat the process for the other two.

ultimaiv845.png

When I step into the lair of the northernmost balron, a passage opens to the south.

ultimaiv846.png

This room follows a similar pattern of me lining up my party members, punching a hole in a barrier, and beating the shit out of the monsters that funnel through the breach.

ultimaiv851.png

I want to head for that room to the south. To do that, I first position Julia into the easternmost tile of the northern monster lair.

ultimaiv852.png

When Jaana steps into the southeast corner of the souther monster's lair, a bridge appears. I now head south.

ultimaiv855.png

Haha! You can't get to me!

ultimaiv856.png

Shit! When I step into the center, a few bridges appear. Oh well, Headlesses are pretty easy.

ultimaiv858.png

This room is plain annoying. I need to kill all four balron in the corners.

ultimaiv859.png

Instead of wasting my Dispels, I can lower the barriers by positioning a character on the corner of the inner island closest to the respective balron.

After this fight, I head south.

ultimaiv862.png

Honor.

ultimaiv863.png

Purple.

ultimaiv864.png

There are two floors left.

ultimaiv865.png

Here is a map of the seventh level. Four combat rooms stand between me and the altar.

ultimaiv868.png

The first room is relatively straightforward, but if I move near the chest in the center of the room, a lightning field will envelop me. After punching a hole in it, I head north.

ultimaiv870.png

In the second room, I can prevent the release of the hydras by skirting along the edge of the room.

ultimaiv872.png

The monsters here are inaccessible initially, so I cast Tremor to thin their ranks.

ultimaiv873.png

Do you notice the secret door south of Shamino?

ultimaiv874.png

When he heads into it, the monsters become accessible.

ultimaiv876.png

When I step into the corner, the passage to the west and north is revealed.

ultimaiv881.png

To get into this room, I have a party member travel through the secret doors to the west of me.

ultimaiv882.png

Now it is ass-kicking time!

ultimaiv884.png

To clear the way to the north I have Jaana traverse the secret passage to the east.

ultimaiv886.png

Spirituality.

ultimaiv887.png

White.

ultimaiv888.png

It is now time for the last level.

ultimaiv889.png

Here is a map of the final level. I star in the northwest corner, and I have to make my way to the southeast corner. Of the two doors in the southeast corner of the room I arrive in, I take the one to the south.

ultimaiv892.png

Apart from the annoying Sleep spells, this is a pretty uneventful fight. I head south.

ultimaiv894.png

Wow! I have not seen lava lizards in a while!

ultimaiv896.png

To get out of here, I first position Dupre in the southwest corner. The wall in the northeast corner becomes lava.

ultimaiv897.png

When Julia trudges to that new lava tile, part of the western wall becomes lava. I make my way through it.

ultimaiv904.png

Here it is: the final two battles! Since I do not know if I need all my party members alive, I decide to resurrect Katrina.

I then head in.

ultimaiv906.png

It is like I am looking into a mirror. Fortunately, it is a pretty shitty mirror.

ultimaiv908.png

I open with Tremor. This leaves only four.

ultimaiv909.png

Jaana casts Tremor as well, and then there were three.

ultimaiv910.png

Iolo takes out the mage with his magic wand.

ultimaiv911.png

The shepherd flees. Wise decision!

ultimaiv912.png

Before the tinkerer can flee as well, Shamino kills her with his magic bow. I then head east.

ultimaiv913.png

This is it: the final battle of the game.

ultimaiv915.png

As usual, I open with Tremor.

ultimaiv916.png

Jaana also casts Tremor.

ultimaiv917.png

Dupre does too.

ultimaiv918.png

Katrina takes out the remaining dragon.

ultimaiv919.png

Next, she takes out the balron to her north.

ultimaiv920.png

She then takes out the balron near me. Maybe she is not so useless after all!

ultimaiv921.png

Jaana dispatches the final balron.

ultimaiv922.png

She then kills the last gazer.

ultimaiv923.png

When I move to get the chest, a passage opens up to the north and a block in the southeast corner becomes a hidden door.

ultimaiv925.png

When Katrina moves into the hidden door, the way to the altar is revealed.

ultimaiv927.png

Humility.

ultimaiv928.png

Black.

ultimaiv929.png

ultimaiv930.png

I know the three parts of the word of passage, but I am not sure of the order. Let me think about it. Since the three principles are always mentioned in this order: Truth, Love and Courage, the word of passage is likely VERAMOCOR.

ultimaiv933.png

Whoopie!

It is now time to take a pop quiz on the virtues. According to Scorpia, if you guess wrong, you will be yanked out of the dungeon and deposited by the town corresponding to the right virtue (love those subtle hints). There is no way in hell I will verify this.

ultimaiv934.png

Honesty.

ultimaiv937.png

Compassion.

ultimaiv938.png

Valor.

ultimaiv940.png

Justice.

ultimaiv941.png

Sacrifice.

ultimaiv942.png

Honor.

ultimaiv943.png

Spirituality.

ultimaiv944.png

Humility.

ultimaiv946.png

Thank you!

ultimaiv947.png

Truth.

ultimaiv949.png

Love.

ultimaiv950.png

Courage.

ultimaiv951.png

ultimaiv952.png

ultimaiv953.png

This is it: the final question of the game! The hippies in Cove hinted at the answer, but it is only directly mentioned by the shrines. Remember, they gave me three Is, one F, two Ns, one Y and one T. The answer is . . .

Infinity.

ultimaiv956.png

ultimaiv957.png

ultimaiv958.png

ultimaiv959.png

ultimaiv960.png

ultimaiv962.png

ultimaiv964.png

ultimaiv965.png

ultimaiv967.png

ultimaiv969.png

ultimaiv971.png

ultimaiv973.png

ultimaiv975.png

I AM THE MESSIAH!!

Elzair

Cipher
Tramboi said:
Ultima IV is done and you didn't die of exhaustion!

Now there are some shadow-asses waiting to be kicked!

I am now trying to decide between playing Ultima V or Ultima IV 1/2 next. What does the hivemind want to see?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lord British must be a really evil git, filling mountain caves with monsters and peddling them to the adventurers that comes along.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Elzair said:
Tramboi said:
Ultima IV is done and you didn't die of exhaustion!

Now there are some shadow-asses waiting to be kicked!

I am now trying to decide between playing Ultima V or Ultima IV 1/2 next. What does the hivemind want to see?
Wasn't there already one LP of that here?

Silellak

Cipher
According to Scorpia, if you guess wrong, you will be yanked out of the dungeon and deposited by the town corresponding to the right virtue
Holy shit. Bad time for a typo or a keyboard malfunction.

ultimaiv975.png

Nice. Now do it in less turns, bitch.

Definitely do Ultima V. I would wait for Ultima IV 1/2, since I'm pretty sure it relies on in-jokes from later games in the series as well. Save it for AFTER the rest, if you do it at all.

Also, I apologize in advance for this, but:
ultimaiv865.png

Penis_Anatomy.gif

Elzair

Cipher
Castanova said:
Are we waiting for page 8 or something?

Sorry, I have been distracted by school and other stuff. I should begin Ultima V tonight and have an update ready in a day or so.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Hurry up damn it. ;)

(I want to see 8 and 9 since I won't make myself play those two.)

Elzair

Cipher
Gold said:
Hurry up damn it. ;)

You are going to have to wait quite a while. :)

After Ultima V (a rather long, hard game), there is VI, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Underworld 1, VII, Underworld 2, and Serpent Isle.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Elzair said:
Gold said:
Hurry up damn it. ;)

You are going to have to wait quite a while. :)

After Ultima V (a rather long, hard game), there is VI, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Underworld 1, VII, Underworld 2, and Serpent Isle.

Wait, you are going to play Underworld 1/2 and Worlds of? Seriously crazy dude.

Elzair

Cipher
Does anyone know how to transfer characters from IV to V?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom