Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about old school RPG's

whitemithrandir

Erudite
I just fired up my copy of Betrayal at Krondor AND IT ROCKS!

I also own (as in legally purchased) the following gems:

The Bard's Tales
Wasteland
Eye of the Beholder
Pretty much all the Gold Box games.
Ultima IV-VIII
Arena
Daggerfall
Battletech: Crescent Moon

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Anachronox owns your mother, your father, and that fucking one-eyed, gnarly, rabid dog of yours that barked all night long that night so I couldn't sleep and failed my fucking exam the next day, too.

How many old games do YOU own?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm currently retroplaying BAK and Lands of Lore 2. Both pretty nifty games that have some painfully dated graphics. I actually own Lands of Lore 1/2 and never got around to buying 3 since i heard it stinks.

I own or owned a bunch of DOS based RPGs, but my lazy ass goes to abandonware sites when i feel like retroplaying.

Section8

Cipher
My collection of legally obtained titles is sadly limited, although I used to have a boatload of various Amiga games that were destroyed in a fire. :( What I do have in terms of "classics" though:

Ultima VII
Ultima VIII
Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire
Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Wizardry 7
Daggerfall
Lands of Lore
Betrayal at Krondor
Dungeon Master
Bard's Tale Construction Set

Which ain't half bad actually, considering I was a dumb kid without a job for most of the period those games were released in.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Eye of the Beholder I
Eye of the Beholder II
Eye of the Beholder III
Hillsfar
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Pool Of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades (two copies)
Pools of Darkness
Dungeon Hack
Menzoberranzan

maybe some more others

Secret of the Silver Blades was the first RPG I played

EvoG

Erudite
With the boxes in near-mint condition mind you:

Adventure Construction Set (awwww yea I loved EA's sleeve boxes)
Ultimas 4 - 9
Ultima Underworlds
Ultima Worlds - Savage Empire and Martian Dreams
System Shock 1 - 2 (I know 2 isn't old school)
2400AD
Autoduel (hmmm)
Bad Blood (hehe)
Bards Tale 1 - 3
Gold Box's ALL
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday
Eye of the Beholder 1 - 2
Ravenloft
Wasteland
Might and Magic 1 - World of Xeen
The Magic Candle
Alternate Reality The City (no box)
Legacy of the Ancients (my very FIRST RPG EVER on C64[god I thought the museum was neat])
Shadowrun!
Dragon Wars

Not Really Old School
The Fallouts ( The original giant boxes)
Arcanum
Planescape
Anachronox

I think thats it (looking past tons of adventure games on shelf) um...

Cheers

Jason

chasing a bee
I never got past the first 5 minutes of the SNES Shadowrun. Not sure why. The Genesis version is pretty cool, though. I'm still waiting for a modern Shadowrun CRPG. (a boy can always dream).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I tried playing Betrayal at Krondor, but I seriously couldn't tell what I was doing.

Anachronox sounds familiar, I might've played the demo, what is it?

bryce777

Erudite
I have played and beat all of those except
System Shock 1 - 2 (I know 2 isn't old school)
2400AD
Autoduel (hmmm)
Bad Blood (hehe)
Alternate Reality The City (no box)
Legacy of the Ancients (my very FIRST RPG EVER on C64[god I thought the museum was neat])
Shadowrun!

The first bard's tale is the first rpg that really gripped me. I did not play the ultimas til later.

I did play some rpglike adventure games like aemon's caves or something. I liked them, but they were damn frustrating.

I really liked the first two might and magics. After that it sort of went to glam for me, but then I liked 6 and 7 a lot, then 8 was kind of blah and 9 was buggy as hell which was a shame because I liked it.

I also love the darklands, of course.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've played Fallout 1 & 2 and Might and Magic VII + V (World of Xeen). I don't remember World of Xeen that much, it's been forever, but I do remember a courtyard full of goblins with funny, curly heads (hair?).
Wow, I haven't played very many RPGs. I grew up on jRPGs. While all of you were playing Daggerfall and whatnot, I was playing Chrono Trigger and FF6 and going, "OMG I lub RPGs." :(

EvoG

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
...I was playing Chrono Trigger and FF6 and going, "OMG I lub RPGs." :(

Hehe :D

I'll tells ya, this is a nice trip down memory lane...many games I completely forgot about bringing back a flood of...um...memories. :P

Cheers

whitemithrandir

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
I tried playing Betrayal at Krondor, but I seriously couldn't tell what I was doing.

It's a quirky tongue-in-cheek RPG with lots of humor. Turnbased combat.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
kingcomrade said:

BAK can be tough with it's graphics. Those early First Person 3D games are really hard on the eyes.

Sisay

Liturgist
FrancoTAU said:
kingcomrade said:

BAK can be tough with it's graphics. Those early First Person 3D games are really hard on the eyes.

They always remind me of flight sims like F-15 Strike Eagle. I don't see why anyone would be particularly upset about those if they've played any other early 3D game. All those photos of random people in elf costumes on the other hand...

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
FrancoTAU said:
kingcomrade said:

I thought it holds up remarkably well, actually.

HardCode

Erudite
EvoG said:
With the boxes in near-mint condition mind you:

Adventure Construction Set (awwww yea I loved EA's sleeve boxes)

Wow! I totally forgot about that game. That was the shit! back on the C64. That was also back when EA was a game company and not a bug-factory.

Section8

Cipher
Krondor is worth playing, just to chuckle at the "cutscenes."

BAK2.jpg

Of course, aside from their silliness, there's a fucking great game to go with them.

Also, did anyone ever play Betrayal at Antara? I remember frowning upon it at the time due to how much the engine was dated, but is it worth a revisit?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Section8 said:
Krondor is worth playing, just to chuckle at the "cutscenes."

BAK2.jpg

Of course, aside from their silliness, there's a fucking great game to go with them.

Also, did anyone ever play Betrayal at Antara? I remember frowning upon it at the time due to how much the engine was dated, but is it worth a revisit?

Own it, never played it. I went a crazy bargain bin frenzy earlier this year to fill in all the blanks.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Betrayal at Antara bore me to tears after just two days. (And I liked Betrayal at Krondor.)

Anti-software-piracy law was introduced in Poland in 1994, so there were almost no legal copies of the older games available. But I still have original copies of Dungeon Master, Shadowlands and Eye of the Beholder 3 (great manual).

And for some newer games: Ultima VII with the 2nd part+addons (can't remember the titles), Ultima VIII, Magic Carpet, Civlization 1+Colonisation and Delphine Software's Operation Stealth (on floppies).

EvoG

Erudite
HardCode said:
Wow! I totally forgot about that game. That was the shit! back on the C64. That was also back when EA was a game company and not a bug-factory.

Amen to that sister, EA was a sight to behold...

Ah well, you know, the thrill of playing the ehanced version of ACS on the Amiga 500 was really something. As you know, the Amiga was a REAL leap in graphics and performance when all you had was a C64 and Vic20, so yea, awesome.

I myself have never been a Wizadry or Betrayal fan.

Cheers

HardCode

Erudite
EvoG said:
Amen to that BROTHER, EA was a sight to behold...

Fixed. Don't let the avatar throw you. I just liek b00biez.

Yeah, EA had the great stuff back then. Racing Destruction Set was great fun. What an enormous amount of talent in those games with only 64K of memory.

EvoG

Erudite
Oh, just an expression. My girlfriend says it me...its genderless rest assured. :D

HardCode

Erudite
I had a girlfriend once. Unfortuately I had to give her up when I got married :(

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I've played Fallout 1 & 2 and Might and Magic VII + V (World of Xeen). I don't remember World of Xeen that much, it's been forever, but I do remember a courtyard full of goblins with funny, curly heads (hair?).
Wow, I haven't played very many RPGs. I grew up on jRPGs. While all of you were playing Daggerfall and whatnot, I was playing Chrono Trigger and FF6 and going, "OMG I lub RPGs." :(

FF3 FFIV and FFV(FFV was my D&D training)

and i knew that my bro played D&D but i was to intimidated to play...now he tells me that he sold EVERTHING including enough dice to fill a refrigerator box and dosent want to buy everything over again

Chrono Trigger and Mario Rpg also

EvoG

Erudite
Mefi said:
EvoG said:
Oh, just an expression. My girlfriend says it me...its genderless rest assured. :D

Does she call you 'Lotte' too? ;)

My first c-64 died after I played Roadwar 2000 for too long. Superb little game for its time. Made by SSI IIRC.

Okay I give...I waited as long as I could before replying, fearing I'd reveal myself for not knowing what a "lotte" is. I googled...and I googled. Deductive reasoning. Context. Nothing.

*gulp*

What is a 'lotte'?

:D

Now, I never could get into Roadwar 2000 or Roadwar Europa as much as I wanted to, but more importantly...how did you break your C64?? I mean those things were indestructible more or less. Perhaps not the 1541 drive but the deck itself?

Cheers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom