Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about old school RPG's

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I never owned that many old school RPGs, and I barely have one today. Most of the old RPGs I had were for Amiga, and since I fried my last Amiga many years ago and stuck to PCs since then, I pretty much gave them all away.

Oh, and "Lotte" is a girl's name in certain communist countries¹.

¹ Scandinavia

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Section8 said:
Also, did anyone ever play Betrayal at Antara? I remember frowning upon it at the time due to how much the engine was dated, but is it worth a revisit?

I liked it very much. Of course it isn't so good as BAK.

Bidjou

Novice
my first oldschoolgame was darskun shattered lands ,of course it was because fallout my first crpg left me wantig more to play between the sessions of pnp mastering with my players, at that time I really tought that there was a kind of oh soo good evolution in the crpg genre , like all the programmers were enjoying each others works and making the genre go onward, of course there was some crap but at least it was less expensive crap

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
EvoG said:
Okay I give...I waited as long as I could before replying, fearing I'd reveal myself for not knowing what a "lotte" is. I googled...and I googled. Deductive reasoning. Context. Nothing.

*gulp*

What is a 'lotte'?

:D

Now, I never could get into Roadwar 2000 or Roadwar Europa as much as I wanted to, but more importantly...how did you break your C64?? I mean those things were indestructible more or less. Perhaps not the 1541 drive but the deck itself?

Cheers

May I recommend the film Being John Malkovich. ;) (Lotte is the name of the woman who enters Malkovich's mind to have sex with her lesbian lover. Malkovich himself wonders why his new girlfriend calls him 'Lotte'.) Sorry if it was a little obscure. I typed it after a little bit too much alcohol.

The C-64 burnt out. I played on it for 72 hours straight and then it started to smoke. Lots of melted plastic around the power unit when I opened it up. Was bought an Amiga after that so it wasn't all bad.

EvoG

Erudite
HardCode said:
EvoG said:
What is a 'lotte'?

"Are you into real estate? *points to penis* Is this a lot?"

har har hardy har har :D

HAR! Actually thats pretty funny in a terrible joke sense. :D

Mefi, yea the odds of me catching that EVEN after say a recent viewing of the movie are slim, let alone when last I did see it, which is when it came out...so for me, obscure isn't even telling it. Hehe :D

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's basically BAK with not as good of a story/dialogue and less open endedness from what i can tell from playing it for an hour.

feta

Novice
I tried to retro with krondor/antara on some wierd CD versions I acquired about a year ago.
I have to admit that after a few hours into em I gave up. The genre has made many steps since them.
It's like seeing craploads of scary B-movies and then watching a hitchkok (how the hell is this guy spelled?) film. You can easily get bored fast. But respect is definitely due.
I guess I missed my chance back in those days, I can't remember wtf I was playing back then. (oooh, oooh, I think I was beating Sun Tzu's Ancient art of war :} and karateka)

LCJr.

Erudite
It's Hitchcock

Didn't get the chance to try BAK until it went freeware. Tried it a couple of times and it put me off. But after constantly hearing how good it was I retried it a couple of years ago and played the whole thing through. It's actually a really, really good game with a lot of neat features like the weapons and armor maintenance. Although I have to admit one of my favorite parts was Patrus getting killed and knowing I'd never have that slug in my party again.

Still my favorite oldie is Darklands.

Twinfalls

Erudite
You know, what I miss most of all from old-school RPGs is that party-based dungeon-crawling in first-person view atmosphere, you know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom