Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Leveled loot and monsters

What do you think about leveled loot and monsters?

• They are a good thing.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • They are stupid.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

bryce777

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
The leveled creature stuff doesn't have to be "At level 5, you get a level 5 creature." It can be "At level 5, in this particular instance you get a 50% chance of a level 5 goblin, a 40% chance of a level 2 rat, and a 10% chance of a level 10 troll." It can also use offsets from your current level. There can and will be super-easy encounters as well as extremely difficult ones. Some dungeons may start out easy and then get tougher and tougher the further you go -- and it's still all based on your character's current level.

That is basically the same thing. It is not quite as annoying as fighting a level 10 crab then a level 11 crab etc. etc. like in lionheart or wiz 8 or a few other games, but you still have a world where your level doesn't really matter and is a pointless hing to try to increase.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Yes, but go to a dungeon early on in the game, and encounter some creatures.

Go there again later in the game, and there will be different creatures in there.

That is retarded.

That's not necessarily true, though, not in every case. When, eventually, creatures in a dungeon respawn, they may just be tougher versions of the earlier creatures. And why not? Are you planning to go repeatedly into the same dungeon over & over again for some cheap, easy skill boosting?

obediah

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
The leveled creature stuff doesn't have to be "At level 5, you get a level 5 creature." It can be "At level 5, in this particular instance you get a 50% chance of a level 5 goblin, a 40% chance of a level 2 rat, and a 10% chance of a level 10 troll." It can also use offsets from your current level. There can and will be super-easy encounters as well as extremely difficult ones. Some dungeons may start out easy and then get tougher and tougher the further you go -- and it's still all based on your character's current level.

Then why have levels at all? At this point it's just pointless tradition. You're not opening new areas, or making others trivial. You're just cycling through monster populations, while maintaining the same risk for each encounter regardless of the character's experience. You might as well get rid of all stat and skill advancement and just change the random encounter table at each level.

This certainly isn't the worst solution to the level problem, but it's nothing to brag about it. I don't even think it's improvement over the green lvl 1 rats by city 1 and blue lvl 20 rats by city 4 problem.

bryce777

Erudite
It would be much nicer if it went by area. For example if the daedra had a huge hellgate in the north and the further north you went, the most twisted and horrific the monsters you encountered were, and if you went to the gate itself you would be slaughtered by a score of daedric lords or whatever.

obediah

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Twinfalls said:

Go there again later in the game, and there will be different creatures in there.

That is retarded.

That's not necessarily true, though, not in every case. When, eventually, creatures in a dungeon respawn, they may just be tougher versions of the earlier creatures. And why not?

A better question would be why? For some of us innovation and immersion aren't about 2X bump-flop mapping or 40 parry animations. But (among other things) about making worlds with population and encounter dynamics that make sense and are fun for multiple gameplay styles. Rather than ensuring a smooth gaming experience regardless of leveling patterns, we'd like to be able to feel the consequences of avoiding conflict, or hunting down every last orc to become one-man-army, or putting our nose where it doesn't belong, or returning to a spot that gave us trouble 6 levels ago to extract some revenge.

Are you planning to go repeatedly into the same dungeon over & over again for some cheap, easy skill boosting?

If you don't want people to do that, implement spawn times, or something that makes sense in game rather than nuking the entire power dynamic of the level system.

Micmu

Magister
obediah said:
If you don't want people to do that, implement spawn times, or something that makes sense in game rather than nuking the entire power dynamic of the level system.
Or maybe Dungeon Lords approach, where monsters, according to your level (I think so), periodically appeared behind your back. :D

Keldryn

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Exactly.
And for another Super-Retard review of Gothic 2, check this oneout - not only do you get the usual 'teh controlz are not like Zelda' but also:

Thank you for the unwarranted condescending remark.

A major drawback to the game is the fact that it takes a tremendous amount of time to progress your character through quests and leveling. After several hours of playtime, I was suddenly hit with the realization that I really hadn’t gotten anything done yet. The game moves at a crippling slow pace. The sluggish pace can become very disappointing for those that only have an hour or two to play at a time. If you’re expecting to load up the game, and hop into some large intense battles: don’t. A large portion of the game consists of nothing but dialogue.....

Okay, if dialogue isn't a player's thing, then perhaps one should avoid Gothic. However, I do think he has a valid point about the slow pace -- at least at the beginning of the game. You don't have a lot of options at the beginning of the game other than wandering around the Old Camp and performing odd jobs and fetch quests for the inhabitants. Wander too far from town, and you're going to get your ass handed to you in short order. It does take a significant amount of time before you're really able to wander around and see what the game truly has to offer.

Fighting in the game is surprisingly difficult early on. It’s difficult to the point where it is more of an annoyance than anything else. The fighting controls are almost as perplexing as the interface set up. To attack, you have to hold down the alt key (by default) and press the forward and side arrows to swing your weapon or shoot your bow.

The point isn't that "teh controlz r not like Zelda!!!!" but that the controls are not intuitive. Controls, and UIs in general, should be easily discoverable and as transparent to the user as possible. Gothic's controls are neither. I used Zelda as an example, as I feel the Wind Waker has the most elegant and intuitive control scheme of any 3rd person 3D game where you engage in melee combat. Fable ranks up there too, but lags behind because of the button the "block" action is assigned to -- and it can't be reassigned.

Gothic's control scheme forces you to hold down the CTRL key (by default; I know they are re-assignable) in order to enter combat mode, and it effectively re-assigns your movement keys' functions from moving your character about the world to controlling your weapon. It makes it far more challenging than it should be to accurately move while engaged in combat. And the whole two-key (CTRL-up arrow) combination to interact with anything in the world is ... a poor design choice, to say the least.

Keldryn

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
It was not stupid. They have a protective shell, so maybe with a bow your character was targeting weak spots, whatever. I don't recall not being able to harm them with my sword. Gothic was not stupid, you are.

As for its controls, they were not clunky or shitty. They were deliberately designed to feel 'interactive', ie to give a more active hands-on feeling, akin to actually retrieving and wielding objects. It's people who must play every game with mouse or gamepads in the same way they are accustomed, who are the problem.

I beg to differ. Gothic's controls are clunky, and feel nothing like actually retrieving or wielding objects. Last time I read a book, I don't recall having to press CTRL-UpArrow to pick it up, and CTRL-LeftArrow to put it in my bag.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. There isn't anything hands-on about how the controls in Gothic feel. Given how you just explained it, I expect you to be absolutely gushing over the possibilities of the Nintendo Revolution's controller.

I don't have to play every game the same way. But that doesn't stop me from being able to call a spade a spade. Kingdom Hearts had a horrific control scheme, even though it was more or less based on how people "usually" control such games with a gamepad.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
kingcomrade said:
kingcomrade said:
Things don't have to be leveled. Say, in Fallout, where everything is mostly hand crafted, it would make sense to allow equipment to take on more difficult enemies.

I was thinking of a system a bit like Metroid's, where you never really change, but you find equipment and stuff that allows you to do things that you couldn't before.

That way, almost all items (I'm intending that they also be handcrafted, or something like) become useful, so long as they have their advantages and disadvantages. Fallout already had something along these lines, as most guns did similar damage to each other, but had greater ammunition capacity/firing rate/armor piercing ability/whatever. You might give pistols the ability to become concealed, which allows you to take a weapon into a place where you couldn't before, and need one to progress (or finish a quest, or whatever). After all, pistols aren't battle weapons.

Someone earlier used an example of some monster in the woods in Gothic. I haven't played it, but it would be just as meaningful to get something that allows you to overcome that obstacle without just being +5 levels from the last time you met?

It doesn't have to be equipment, it can be abilities. Metroid and newer platformers, like Psychonauts, generally allow you to unlock more content by gaining abilities that allow you to do things you couldn't before. Like, as a simple example, in Psychonauts, once you get Invisibility, though, you gain the ability to do a lot of things you couldn't overcome before. You can easily sneak up and damage or set on fire mega-censors and psychic bears and psychic cougars, you can sneak up and steal the gold watch from the squirrel, etc.

Psychonauts even has an EXP system for those abilities. You don't really get more health, I think you get that for accomplishing objectives, but as you get EXP for doing and collecting stuff, you get closer to new (or upgraded) abilities. That way you don't have leveled characters, but if you couldn't do without EXP you could still use that system. Like, you level up, and you get 20 skill points to spend, or whatever you like, but you don't just magically gain HP or anything like that, though this is smudging the line from a "pure" system. It would make more sense that at certain points or as rewards for certain accomplishments, instead of EXP, you are rewarded with skill points directly, or to choose a new ability. That way you can still develop your character the way you want without having to deal with levels.

Personally, I would like a tag system. Where, you don't have skill points, but when the game rewards you, you get to tag a skill. Like, if you tag Small Arms, which allows you to use small arms. You can tag it a second time (or a second skill to go in combination) which allows you to use scoped rifles competently. Or something like that.

The only snag, which I think could probably be dealt with, is how do deal with random monsters lurking about. There would have to be some sort of reward for killing them. In a post-apoc game, ammunition would be nice, or health kits or other things. In Psychonauts, killing got you ammunition, health, money, and grenade recharges. The enemies were also typically in your way and had to be dealt with. There might even be some benefits in the role-playing arena. After all, if you don't need their equipment, why would you want to get into fights? The only time you would need to fight is when something is in your way, or you are surprised, or you need some ammo, etc.

I mean, why would a Vault Dweller actually take the time to clear the cave rats out, or get into fights with 50 Enclave patrols? The player does it for EXP, of course, but otherwise it doesn't make sense unless they attack him or are in the way.

One of the things that happens here is that the world becomes MORE dangerous. You have to pick your battles, and you have to employ tricks to deal with some enemies. I mean, no human is ever going to become powerful enough to take on a dragon, or anything like that. He would have to have abilities and equipment. Goblins will still be a problem unless those equipment and abilities help him deal with them. Why does everyone think goblins should be pushovers, anyways? If they were pushovers, they wouldn't survive in your average fantasy world, especially in their typical large numbers.

Nobody has any comments? :( I thought it was a good idea.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I've never been a fan of the monsters level up with you thing. I loved Wizardry 8, but it caused some problems in the beginning of the game if you leveled up too quickly before you got some phat loot to match up with your bad self. 7th Saga is only other game i can think of that did this and that could make certain fights almost impossible if you did too much leveling up.

I'd much prefer some better tweaking of the leveling up. The most extreme example is In the Final Fantasies, you go up 5 levels in 2 hours and double your hit points making every monster before that point in the game completely harmless. Of course, those games are much more linear, so it doesn't really negatively impact the game other than being able to eventually hit a monster for 9999 damage OMGZ WTF LOL!!@#

Smaller stat boosts over the course of the game should help keep the difficulty level there. You just have to test it and figure out the balance.

Keldryn

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
bryce777 said:
The keyboard controls were ridiculously stupid. If you have to read a manual to figure out how an interface works, it is bad design.

What??! "Oh Noez, I have to read the instructions to know some basic keyboard commands! Bad bad BAD" Come off it bryce. We know there's been an uprising of the illiterates in gaming, but you're not part of that revolution, and you're too old to join now.

I'm with Bryce on this one. A well-designed interface should be easily discoverable. If the interface becomes a barrier to using the program or playing the game, its design must be called into question. It's not about being "too illiterate" to read the instruction manual. It's a basic design principle in any field of engineering. It's also a concept that many Linux aficionados utterly fail to grasp. :D

Translation: the game was too hard for me.

Sounded like a valid design criticism to me. If any foe is capable of killing the player in a single blow, there should be at least some clear warning beforehand. Forcing the player to continually reload saved games as they discover through trial-and-error what will kill them quickly and what won't is not clever design. It wasn't clever design in the old King's Quest games either.

Gothic's fandom is well earnt, for it exists despite shitty reviews by retards who declared it had too much dialogue, was too hard, and didn't slather it with the sort of hype and auto-cum-spraying that far weaker, undeserving games like Morrowind and Fable received.

Morrowind never did it for me either, but I very much enjoyed Fable. But Fable is not the same type of game as Gothic. Both being real-time action-RPGs, I do think that Fable had a superior interface and control scheme. But Gothic has a far more in-depth world design and fully fleshed-out characters. Gothic goes for a gritty, more realistic atmosphere, while Fable plays like a heroic faerie tale; I enjoy both approaches, and I don't think one is better than the other.

I'm not going to list Gothic's virtues, they are many and you know what I'd say (AI, gritty atmosphere, non-linearity, blah blah). You have to accept it's an adventure/RPG hybrid. It's real time combat, player timing is a real factor.

Player timing and skill is a real factor, but the player should feel like he is battling a foe in the game, not battling the control scheme. Case-in-point: Kingdom Hearts. Being forced to navigate a command menu in real-time while monsters beat on you is a terrible, terrible design.

Keldryn

Arcane
Twinfalls said:

That is retarded.

I agree, unless there is a logical game-world explanation for it. If a powerful creature moved into the goblin lair and took over, for example. It would be pretty hard to swallow if it happened in every case though.

But it doesn't make sense if any game world is populated with hordes of ridiculously powerful enemies in the late game. How does trade ever occur between two towns when the road between them is overrun with monsters that can defeat the mightiest heroes in the land? Most enemies encountered near civilized areas at any point in the game should be low-powered, unless it is an encounter that is meant to occur at a specific time in the plot.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
But it doesn't make sense if any game world is populated with hordes of ridiculously powerful enemies in the late game. How does trade ever occur between two towns when the road between them is overrun with monsters that can defeat the mightiest heroes in the land? Most enemies encountered near civilized areas at any point in the game should be low-powered, unless it is an encounter that is meant to occur at a specific time in the plot.

Seriously, I think my idea has merit, especially in this case. Monsters are dangerous, but if you have the tools to overcome them they aren't that much of a threat. Mighty heroes are just men, after all, but what is a goblin with a knife going to do against armor? How will it defend itself against your <s>crossbow</s> <s>spear</s> <s>lance</s> er, longsword or whatever?
The point is that early on you might be vulnerable to goblins, but they are reduced to a minor threat compared to other monsters because you have tools/abilities designed to combat them later on.

Keldryn

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Things don't have to be leveled. Say, in Fallout, where everything is mostly hand crafted, it would make sense to allow equipment to take on more difficult enemies.

I was thinking of a system a bit like Metroid's, where you never really change, but you find equipment and stuff that allows you to do things that you couldn't before.

If you look at it strictly in terms of game mechanics, is there really any difference between this and the traditional methods of advancement in an RPG?

In a game like Metroid or Zelda, you find and accumulate Energy Tanks or Heart Containers to increase your total Hit Points (Life, Health, Energy, whatever). You find more powerful weapons, which increase how much damage you can do. You find other items, which give you new abilities, such as to roll into a Morph Ball, to fire beams of ice that freeze your enemies, to float on the wind... You will often obtain one of these upgrades through defeating a powerful enemy and/or accomplishing a major story goal.

In a traditional RPG your total Hit Points increase as you progress through the game. You find more powerful weapons, which increase how much damage you can do. Some of your characters' innate attributes may increase, which increase how much damage you can do, or give you more Hit Points. You find items which give you new abilities, but you also accumulate innate skills/feats/spells/whatever which... give you new abilities. Accumulation of these abilities/upgrades usually occurs through fighting enemies (and even more XP from a powerful enemy) and/or accomplishing a major story goal.

One could even argue that the former is a more streamlined, and perhaps more pure embodiment of the same principle, as it captures the essence of taking on the role of a hero taking on an epic quest. *Flame shields up*

That way, almost all items (I'm intending that they also be handcrafted, or something like) become useful, so long as they have their advantages and disadvantages. Fallout already had something along these lines, as most guns did similar damage to each other, but had greater ammunition capacity/firing rate/armor piercing ability/whatever. You might give pistols the ability to become concealed, which allows you to take a weapon into a place where you couldn't before, and need one to progress (or finish a quest, or whatever). After all, pistols aren't battle weapons.

I like the idea of making all items useful. It was great fun in Ultima VII to be a compulsive packrat, collecting everything that wasn't nailed down, but I ended up with bags full of useless junk. And I really like the approach of making all weapon choices valid. Generally, it's very evident which weapons and armor are the best choices, and most of the other types go unused. A choice isn't really meaningful if one option is always clearly the best. And I like the idea of customizing and upgrading a signature weapon, as opposed to selling your Sword +2 when you find the Sword +3 of Shiny Munchkinism.

Someone earlier used an example of some monster in the woods in Gothic. I haven't played it, but it would be just as meaningful to get something that allows you to overcome that obstacle without just being +5 levels from the last time you met?

Yes. And that's essentially one of the main design principles of "adventure" games.

It doesn't have to be equipment, it can be abilities. Metroid and newer platformers, like Psychonauts, generally allow you to unlock more content by gaining abilities that allow you to do things you couldn't before. Like, as a simple example, in Psychonauts, once you get Invisibility, though, you gain the ability to do a lot of things you couldn't overcome before. You can easily sneak up and damage or set on fire mega-censors and psychic bears and psychic cougars, you can sneak up and steal the gold watch from the squirrel, etc.

Psychonauts is an awesome game. And in your example, it isn't really that different from learning a Stealth skill or an invisibility spell in a traditional RPG. In a PnP game, you needed a mechanic so that it didn't play out like: "I sneak past the guard." "Umm, okay, he doesn't see you." In a PnP game, you roll dice. In a game like Psychonauts, Thief, Sly Cooper, or Deus Ex, a skill rating wouldn't make sense, as the game can take other factors into account to determine if you are noticed. And in some games, the effect of a higher skill level is accomplished by enhancing the ability by increasing its duration or allowing you to run and remain undetected.

Psychonauts even has an EXP system for those abilities. You don't really get more health, I think you get that for accomplishing objectives, but as you get EXP for doing and collecting stuff, you get closer to new (or upgraded) abilities.

You increase your mental health capacity by either picking up an enhancement you find (usually hidden) in a level, and also by finding the stolen brains and returning them to Ford.

That way you don't have leveled characters, but if you couldn't do without EXP you could still use that system. Like, you level up, and you get 20 skill points to spend, or whatever you like, but you don't just magically gain HP or anything like that, though this is smudging the line from a "pure" system.

What is a "pure" system?

It would make more sense that at certain points or as rewards for certain accomplishments, instead of EXP, you are rewarded with skill points directly, or to choose a new ability. That way you can still develop your character the way you want without having to deal with levels.

Having "skill points" and "XP" as distinct values seems redundant to me. Do away with "levels" altogether and give the player XP rewards appropriate to the completed task or combat. The player can choose to use those XP to increase a skill's rating, to increase an attribute, to gain extra Hit Points, to learn a new spell, etc. The main benefit of having an "Level" to to be able to quickly estimate the power and capabilities of a character in a PnP game, and the computer is pretty much free of such limitations.

Personally, I would like a tag system. Where, you don't have skill points, but when the game rewards you, you get to tag a skill. Like, if you tag Small Arms, which allows you to use small arms. You can tag it a second time (or a second skill to go in combination) which allows you to use scoped rifles competently. Or something like that.

I like the idea. Don't overcomplicate a sytem by having more "levels" of an ability than you need. If you have the skill, it works. Some tasks may require an enhanced version of the skill; if you have that, it works. If everything has a certain chance of success, and you have the freedom to try as many times as you want, then there really isn't much point in having a chance of failure. Testing the player's patience isn't really the best design.

The only snag, which I think could probably be dealt with, is how do deal with random monsters lurking about. There would have to be some sort of reward for killing them. In a post-apoc game, ammunition would be nice, or health kits or other things. In Psychonauts, killing got you ammunition, health, money, and grenade recharges. The enemies were also typically in your way and had to be dealt with. There might even be some benefits in the role-playing arena. After all, if you don't need their equipment, why would you want to get into fights? The only time you would need to fight is when something is in your way, or you are surprised, or you need some ammo, etc.

Reduce the number of random -- and by "random" I mean "incidental" monsters that aren't part of an event which advances the plot -- monsters from the numbers that we usually see in games. I prefer the approach of fewer in number, but more challenging and rewarding combat encounters. Don't place enemies simply to fill up space -- give them a purpose. They're guarding something, or they are travelling somewhere. On patrol around their lair. You don't always need to have a concrete reward for killing incidental monsters. Sometimes they are in your way and you need to get past them. Other times, you want to clear the area of hostiles so that you can search the area for something and explore safely. Maybe you need to secure a safe location to rest.

I mean, why would a Vault Dweller actually take the time to clear the cave rats out, or get into fights with 50 Enclave patrols? The player does it for EXP, of course, but otherwise it doesn't make sense unless they attack him or are in the way.

That is one thing that has started to irritate me about the RPG genre in recent years. I'm always trying to strike a balance between being immersed in the fiction of the game world, and being aware of the metagame where I'm making sure I don't miss any items or XP that I know I can obtain. I'm not saying that the RPG genre has become this way in recent years -- it's always been like that. It's just that after 20 years of that style of gameplay, it's starting to wear thin.

One of the things that happens here is that the world becomes MORE dangerous. You have to pick your battles, and you have to employ tricks to deal with some enemies. I mean, no human is ever going to become powerful enough to take on a dragon, or anything like that. He would have to have abilities and equipment.

I love the concept, but I don't know how well it would fare in the mainstream market. It would take some getting used to.

Goblins will still be a problem unless those equipment and abilities help him deal with them. Why does everyone think goblins should be pushovers, anyways? If they were pushovers, they wouldn't survive in your average fantasy world, especially in their typical large numbers.

That's because few CRPGs deviate very far from the style that D&D pioneered 30 years ago. In D&D, a 1st level fighter has probably 10-14 hit points, and probably a 50% chance of hitting a typical goblin. Said goblin has probably 4-8 HP, and about a 25% chance of hitting the fighter. The fighter could probably kill the goblin with one solid blow, and it would take the goblin two very solid blows to fell the fighter. The 10th-level fighter may have up to 140 HP (or so) and about a 95% chance of hitting the goblin, who is sure to be killed by a single blow. The goblin has a 5% chance of hitting the fighter, and would probably need to hit him 30-40 times before killing him. Most CRPGs work in a similar manner. Even if the fighter faces a pack of 20 goblins, odds are that he will smite all of them before he even breaks a sweat.

The main culprit here is the D&D style of inflatable hit points. HP represent not only physical toughness and endurance, but the ability to dodge or parry a blow, the ability to anticipate a foe's next move, and everything else that equates with "better fighting ability." It's a very abstract concept, and tacking on other abilities which enhance one's combat skills is redundant. In a PnP game, such abstration is beneficial, as it doesn't bog the game down too much with calculations. In a computer game, it isn't as necessary.

If you make HP so that they do increase as the PC gains experience, but not to such a degree, then you've addressed a large part of this problem. If the PC starts off the game with 10 HP, for example, and has 20-25 HP by the end of the game, then he can certainly stand up to much more powerful foes than he could at the begining of the game. However, a couple of lucky hits from less-powerful enemies could bring him down, and the player does have to pick his or her battles more carefully. Under such a system, armor would likely serve to reduce damage taken to a degree.

On the other hand, if you're like the designers of Final Fantasy and allow characters to accumulate 9,999 HP as they advance in level, you need to have powerful monsters with 800,000 HP and capable of dealing 3,000 HP of damage in one blow.

bryce777

Erudite
FrancoTAU said:
I've never been a fan of the monsters level up with you thing. I loved Wizardry 8, but it caused some problems in the beginning of the game if you leveled up too quickly before you got some phat loot to match up with your bad self. 7th Saga is only other game i can think of that did this and that could make certain fights almost impossible if you did too much leveling up.

I'd much prefer some better tweaking of the leveling up. The most extreme example is In the Final Fantasies, you go up 5 levels in 2 hours and double your hit points making every monster before that point in the game completely harmless. Of course, those games are much more linear, so it doesn't really negatively impact the game other than being able to eventually hit a monster for 9999 damage OMGZ WTF LOL!!@#

Smaller stat boosts over the course of the game should help keep the difficulty level there. You just have to test it and figure out the balance.

Damn,t hat must be why I had so much trouble in wiz8. I didn' think of it that way, but I kept trying to level out the the difficulty of the game, but all I was probably doing was making it harder on myself.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
edit: you might want to get rid of your double post :)

I think there is a difference. I am talking about things like the morphball. Weapons might allow you to do more damage, but that's not really the thrust of my idea. I am incorporating that principle from adventure games. My favorite genres are adventure games and platformers, and I think RPGs could benefit a lot by borrowing.
The idea that what you need to defeat the big bad monster in the woods is to kill 50 goblins to get 500 exp to gain 5 levels so that you are now powerful enough, that seems kinda meaningless to me. And one thing I hate is "leveling-up": that process you have to go through when you run up against a boss you can't beat. I still remember, when I was little, going into that Dino Den or whatever in Chrono Trigger, doing Robo+Crono's attack where Robo swings him around in a circle to kill all the monsters at the entrance for 9 tech points over and over until Crono got luminaire.

A "pure" system: I was thinking about doing away with levels completely.

Anyways, Hit Points would remain constant, or nearly so. A thing most people have mentioned is that in Fallout a lucky hit can still mow you down even if you have the incredibly inflated HP that game allowed you to gain. That would be something to preserve. I do think that increased HP could be represented in different ways. Like, you gain the ability of a psychic shield. Anyone read Hobb's Farseer trilogy? How about the idea of repelling constantly while you fight, with results like a fumble spell on the enemy?

I've never really believed HP being abstract, when I play Fallout and get shot, my character plays a 'pain' animation. I suppose that's because there's not really any visual way for a character to act out "you have taken an abstract amount of damage to your psyche which has dimished your ability to avoid, parry, and absorb damage." There is a way to go with this, however. In FF Tactics, equipping armor simply gives you more hit points, rather than a greater chance to dodge. I think that's where my conflict comes in. If you have a chance to dodge already, then why are HP not included in that chance? Why is it separate? Having armor and shields and such add HP would make sense if you are talking about HP as an abstract.

edit: Now that I think about it, having the enemy always hit you is a poorly though out idea, I take that part about not having separate to-hit rolls back :)

I think where we differ is the idea of a hero. I just don't have a whole lot of interest in Chosen Ones and ubermensch. People are people, even if they appear more. I think that's really just a stylistic difference in how we like our stories, though.

There is, of course, a third route, getting rid of HP in favor of something else, but I'm not really headed in that direction.

In a response to bryce way back near my original post, I said that replacing EXP with skill points would be a great thing. I do like the tag system better because I've always liked to know either: "You can do this thing" or "You can't do this thing." I'm fudge-sensitive :P

About levels of tags, I simply meant that one tag would let you use pistols, then a second would let you use rifles, etc. Just for simplicity. I don't really prefer it either.

I like the idea of combining tags, but that might be a bit too complex. What it does do is allow for a lot more customization of character, provided there are a large number of different skills. You might even have a diablo-esque skill tree.

You are right about the chance for failure. Why raise your traps skill in Fallout when you can just sit there and use it over and over? The only check on that is the chance for critical failure.

Random monsters bug me too. When I was playing through Doom 3, I kept thinking to myself: Don't monsters have anything better to do than hide in closets? This would certainly apply to monsters in your typical RPG.

Don't worry about the mainstream market, this imaginary system/game is for us :)

Keldryn

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Seriously, I think my idea has merit, especially in this case. Monsters are dangerous, but if you have the tools to overcome them they aren't that much of a threat. Mighty heroes are just men, after all, but what is a goblin with a knife going to do against armor? How will it defend itself against your <s>crossbow</s> <s>spear</s> <s>lance</s> er, longsword or whatever?
The point is that early on you might be vulnerable to goblins, but they are reduced to a minor threat compared to other monsters because you have tools/abilities designed to combat them later on.

Sorry, I had to cut my long-winded reply short to take care of something... I think I was saying the same thing, in a roundabout way, as if your character's vital stats -- hit points, in particular, only increase a small amount at a time, and never reach a level very high above their original value, then it will be the character's equipment which makes the difference. If the character has 10 hit points at the beginning of the game and cheap leather armor, then goblins will be a threat. If the character has 20 HP at the end of the game, then that goblin could still be a threat if the character is using the same weapons and armor. It will take the goblin 3 or 4 hits to kill him instead of 1 or 2, but that poses a threat, and 3 or 4 goblins would still be a lethal threat. It's only if the character has more powerful equipment that the goblins are no longer a threat -- although it's possible that a couple of lucky "critical hits" could still bring the character to his knees.

Keldryn

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I think there is a difference. I am talking about things like the morphball. Weapons might allow you to do more damage, but that's not really the thrust of my idea. I am incorporating that principle from adventure games. My favorite genres are adventure games and platformers, and I think RPGs could benefit a lot by borrowing.

Sorry, I do that sometimes... I get sidetracked on somewhat-related tangents like that.

I agree that RPGs could benefit a great deal by borrowing some of these concepts. To me, what it boils down to is that I think too many RPGs are limited by the traditional conventions of the RPG genre... Most RPGs are still essentially trying to simulate the Pnp RPG experience, and along with it many of the conventions that are necessary for playing in that form. Electronic gaming is a different medium than sitting-around-the-table-with-dice-and-miniatures gaming, and I'm far more interested in a fun and immersive game experience than whether or not it meets all the requirements on my personal checklist of what makes a REAL/TRUE RPG. (I don't have such a checklist, obviously)

The idea that what you need to defeat the big bad monster in the woods is to kill 50 goblins to get 500 exp to gain 5 levels so that you are now powerful enough, that seems kinda meaningless to me. And one thing I hate is "leveling-up": that process you have to go through when you run up against a boss you can't beat. I still remember, when I was little, going into that Dino Den or whatever in Chrono Trigger, doing Robo+Crono's attack where Robo swings him around in a circle to kill all the monsters at the entrance for 9 tech points over and over until Crono got luminaire.

I agree that it is meaningless. Levelling up seems to be a convention brought about by CRPGs though. I certainly don't remember deliberately "levelling up" in any PnP game sessions I've played in the past twenty years. The heroes would get stronger by overcoming obstacles on the path to their ultimate goal, but nobody ever wandered around dungeons aimlessly, trying to fight as many battles as possible before confronting their nemesis. I'm sure it happened in some gaming groups, but never any that I played in, even when I was 12 and munchkinism was at its height.

I hear a lot of CRPG gamers go on about how the story is the most important aspect of an RPG, yet the majority of the game is spent fighting enemies that have no direct connection to this all-important storyline. That's one of the reasons I got so bored with Final Fantasy VIII. It's billed as this epic love story, but I lost interest partway through Disc 2 (of 4) because I was spending hours fighting random battles, levelling up and drawing magic from enemies. What was happening in the story again?

And characters in fantasy and sci-fi novels (and films) don't wander around "levelling up" before taking on greater challenges. I think it's a terrible, outdated convention that should have been abandoned a long time ago. If the difference in a character's power level between the early game and late game is much less extreme than it is in most games, "levelling" becomes less of an issue, and learning the right skill or obtaining the required item becomes more central. And I think that's in line with most heroic tales. At least the ones that I'm familiar with.

A "pure" system: I was thinking about doing away with levels completely.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I hear a lot of talk from genre-snobs about "pure/true/real" RPGs, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't about that.

Anyways, Hit Points would remain constant, or nearly so. A thing most people have mentioned is that in Fallout a lucky hit can still mow you down even if you have the incredibly inflated HP that game allowed you to gain. That would be something to preserve.

That's one thing I like about Fallout. And compared to most RPGs, hit points in Fallout don't really inflate that much. Well, they can in Fallout 2... But even so, it's not like it is in D&D or an FF game.

I do think that increased HP could be represented in different ways. Like, you gain the ability of a psychic shield. Anyone read Hobb's Farseer trilogy? How about the idea of repelling constantly while you fight, with results like a fumble spell on the enemy?

I haven't read the books, but that's a cool idea. Increased HP basically boil down to you being tougher to kill. It could be sheer physical toughness, a better ability to avoid damage, heavier armor, magical/psychic "weapon repellent", or any number of things. "Strategy" in many RPGs boils down to focusing on eliminating one enemy at a time and deciding when to cast a healing spell. Or if you're fighting a "boss" that deals a lot of damage, casting a shielding spell.

I've never really believed HP being abstract, when I play Fallout and get shot, my character plays a 'pain' animation. I suppose that's because there's not really any visual way for a character to act out "you have taken an abstract amount of damage to your psyche which has dimished your ability to avoid, parry, and absorb damage."
There is a way to go with this, however. In FF Tactics, equipping armor simply gives you more hit points, rather than a greater chance to dodge. I think that's where my conflict comes in. If you have a chance to dodge already, then why are HP not included in that chance? Why is it separate? Having armor and shields and such add HP would make sense if you are talking about HP as an abstract.

Well, you need to look at it in a historical context. In the original D&D rules, each character had a Hit Point total, an Armor Class, and a number on an attack matrix (based on Level) that determined what number on a d20 was needed to strike a specific Armor Class. HP were an abstraction of all of those elements which contributed to an individual being difficult to defeat. AC and the "to hit" roll were used to determine if an attack was successful. Later additions to the rules brought Strength bonuses to Hit and damage rolls, and Dexterity bonuses to AC. Further evolutions of the system tacked-on a number of other concepts that essentially did the same thing as the abstract HP. And CRPGs borrow very heavily from the D&D tradition, so we get the same thing.

A lot of CRPGs do seem to treat HP as simply physical toughness, but the problem there is that HP should not keep inflating the way that it does. HP increased at d4/d6/d8/d10 "per level" because it was an abstract measure of how "tough" a combatant you are. And so concepts such as dodging, armor reducing damage, parrying, etc were added into the game systems, but they kept the increased HP per level. It's simply become a traditional convention of the genre to the point where nobody really seems to give it much thought.

GURPS (again, using 3rd Edition Revised as an example) follows a more "realistic" approach where Hit Points equal your Health score (or Strength in a variant rule). You can purchase a few extra HP, to a maximum of 5, but that's about it. Armor provides protection in two ways; it contributes to your "passive defence," which means that it affords some protection simply by turning away a blow, even if you're not trying to avoid being hit. It also provides some damage reduction for every hit that you take. Dodge and Parry skills determine your "active defence" score; you use the better of Active or Passive defence scores in determining whether you get hit.

I think where we differ is the idea of a hero. I just don't have a whole lot of interest in Chosen Ones and ubermensch. People are people, even if they appear more. I think that's really just a stylistic difference in how we like our stories, though.

Heroes don't have to be Chosen Ones and demigods. Heroes are often simply someone who is in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets caught up in events out of his or her control. It can be fun to play the epic hero, but it can also be fun to play a more down-to-earth character. However, I don't think it would be much fun to play an RPG as a normal person, commuting to his or her desk job every day.

There is, of course, a third route, getting rid of HP in favor of something else, but I'm not really headed in that direction.

Yeah, the old West End Star Wars RPG had a pretty neat system that simply had Uninjured, Stunned, Wounded, Incapacitated, Dead status levels. (Or Paranoia, where it added Very Dead, Extremely Dead, Disintigrated...)

In a response to bryce way back near my original post, I said that replacing EXP with skill points would be a great thing. I do like the tag system better because I've always liked to know either: "You can do this thing" or "You can't do this thing." I'm fudge-sensitive :P

I think that it is a better system in many ways, as it eliminates a lot of guess work and useless trial-and-error. If you have a 10% chance of doing something, but an effectively unlimted number of chances to try (either because the game allows it, or through saving-and-reloading), then I fail to see the point in it. Or if there are no circumstances for failure. I think it is a superior game design to let the player clearly know that they are not currently capable of doing something, then when the player gains a new ability (either via an item or XP, whatever) he realizes that he can probably go back and do that something now.

Random monsters bug me too. When I was playing through Doom 3, I kept thinking to myself: Don't monsters have anything better to do than hide in closets? This would certainly apply to monsters in your typical RPG.

Totally. An believable game world is one in which it never feels like something is there, just waiting for the player to come along. CRPGs are usually pretty bad in this department. With the Fallout games and Ultima VII, it seems that the designers were pretty conscientious about avoiding this.

Don't worry about the mainstream market, this imaginary system/game is for us :)

If we are to have any hope of playing said imaginary game, the mainstream market does play a role. And some good games do quite well in the mainstream market. In many cases, it isn't because they are "dumbed down" but simply because they got a huge marketing budget from their publishers.

Twinfalls

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
That's not necessarily true, though, not in every case. When, eventually, creatures in a dungeon respawn, they may just be tougher versions of the earlier creatures.

Of course it's not in every case. But it happens - often enough to be very noticeable (as in Morrowind), and to jerk you out of the 'I'm in another world' into 'That's daft, this is just a poorly designed game'.

And why not? Are you planning to go repeatedly into the same dungeon over & over again for some cheap, easy skill boosting?

Oh, right. So you're saying your game is completely linear, and any attempt to play it as otherwise is just plain forbidden.

You should put that on the box.

Lumpy

Arcane
If you enter a dungeon and exit it, I'm quite sure that the monsters will be the same next time you go back in. The levelled lists are only taken into consideration only when the monsters are generated, I think, and that means when you enter the dungeon for the first time.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Morrowind never did it for me either, but I very much enjoyed Fable. But Fable is not the same type of game as Gothic. Both being real-time action-RPGs, I do think that Fable had a superior interface and control scheme. But Gothic has a far more in-depth world design and fully fleshed-out characters. Gothic goes for a gritty, more realistic atmosphere, while Fable plays like a heroic faerie tale; I enjoy both approaches, and I don't think one is better than the other.
I, for one, consider Gothic a pure RPG, and that's no small feat to achive such rank, especially if it's not orthodox turn-based (quite contrary to that, in fact). Fable was a Sims-like game, not really an RPG, not even half. But yes, it was still a good game.

Twinfalls

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Well, to me those things are not really tactics per say, but cheese.

Yes, fair call to say its not really 'tactics', but it's also you saying 'I don't like real-time action-based combat'. Which is OK, but I don't feel you can critique Gothic if you by default think RT is bad, which is the repeated impression I get.

after the 100th time of going up to a fucking wolf and hitting it once and having no damage done and then dying if ou can't run away, you have to wonder what the point is.

The point is, as in real life, you don't take it up to a wolf unless you are confident you can easily defeat it.

You can win, but only by spending a painful amount of effort, and it's ten times easier just to get the armor by doing the quests. Then you are somehow magically invulnerable to wolf damage.

And how is that not realistic, or fun (remember, to me at least, fun=realistic)?

Here, armor makes you infintely powerful compared to any creature that can't penetrate it. So, you may as well have a line of code that says if(armor == heavy armor) wolf = dead.

Okay, I cannot remember it being like this. I certainly did not play through the game noticing this, so it was, at least in my case, a design decision which did not intrude on the player's experience sufficient to upset suspension-of-disbelief. Unlike, for example, levelled creatures in Morrowind.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Keldryn said:
Thank you for the unwarranted condescending remark.

'twas not meant to be directed at you, though I accept that it is easily read as such. You mentioned Zelda, hence it stuck in my head when typing the response. I'm just tired of reading the same 'Gothic's controls suck' comment. I do not think they suck. Others think they do. There's no point in arguing. The makers of the game made the controls with a deliberate design purpose. I know this, for I have read them say so in interviews. They have enough people liking the controls for them to retain them. G3 will feature the mouse-friendly stuff many people prefer.

I also liked the fact inventory is not hot-key-able. I hope this does not change, as it is part of the design integrity - in a real-time action combat simulation you should have to find your stuff, not have it magically appear to hand instantaneously.

It's just preferences I guess.

Your statement 'the controls are not intuitive' I think is rubbish. The controls are intuitive, once you learn what they are (basic WASD, but with the control-button held down. This is for a reason.)

Define 'intuitive'.

So far, your definition is comprised of 'it is different to Zelda's'. Elucidate if you like. But I won't argue much. It's now well past moot.

Zomg

Arbiter
Just by way of contributing to the search for plurality, I found the Gothic controls fine after a short learning curve. Part of the function of the controls is to make one-on-one fights the rule (with all of the retreat-dodging, etc.) such that fighting two opponents at once is extremely dangerous. On the other hand a smoother control scheme like Fable's has no such vulnerability.

There is another dimension to UIs besides intuitability - power. Consider good old vi, the classic Unix text editor. It is entirely unintuitive (it's hard to even quit the program naively), but someone who has mastered the interface can use it with amazing speed and capability. The best interfaces will be both intuitive and powerful, but one can get in the way of the other. Game interfaces can also add a dimension of "game" to the UI, which is what the "micro" of RTS is, among other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom