Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of strategy or tactics games with random map generators or an unpredictable computer opponent

kyrub

Augur
I disagree, these don't prove anything. You can always find examples of AI behaving badly in games that were played and replayed 10000x. Every game is exploitable, once you get hold of the inner AI rules (it never flies out the dragons, hahaha, would you believe it). And the first example is not even an example of stupidity, that is pretty hard task for a programmer to win such a battle. - If you deployed Eador AI on this place, the units would be unable to wait for first move. They would walk out of castle like sheeps, always, invariantly, like they do. Which other game with limited stacks on limited field has better AI than HoMM 3? There may be some, MAX, they told me. I haven't played any others.

On Heroes community web, there are examples how AI on highest difficulty can sidestep sophisticated traps (manifold landmines). Google it, than talk.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Why so aggro? It's not like I'm defending Eador's tactical AI. They all just feel the same. When you play with AI - you are mostly exploiting, and build your combat tactics around this basic fact, in any game of the genre. When you play multiplayer - you just know that none of it works. You don't think about exploiting, you actually play the damn game.

Eador was superior in other matters, mainly the difficulty of strategic domination. Somehow I never cared about filler combat, and just auto-resolved most of the fights as the game progressed. HoMM 3 was enjoyable while it lasted, it's a gud game. And no doubt a lot of effort was put in it, AI included.

We are just talking about different things, you and I.
Playing with AI: I will move my unit around the obstacle, because I know that AI will split the stacks, chasing me in a wrong way. I can win battles that are not supposed to be won, woo-hoo.
Playing with human: the damn faggot is just going to cockblock my path. Goddamit.

Once again, it doesn't matter what game of the genre you play. The drill is one and the same.

Ephesos

Novice
Kohan: IS and Kohan: AG. Feel free to ignore Kohan 2, it feels like a Warcraft 3 clone even though it was released before it.

The economy system is a bit unique: companies and buildings require gold for immediate expenditure plus upkeep costa such as stone, wood, iron and mana. A positive value in these will increase gold per second generation, while going negative subtracts gold.
The gameplay is unique too, units are lumped together into companies: five front units, 2 support, 1 leader(captain or Kohan hero). You cannot control individual units, and once battle is joined the only commands available are retreat or rout, you cannot micro them a la age of empires.
Companies can be ordered into formations, but these can be set only outside of battle. Skirmish formation makes moving across the map much faster and leaves you vulnerable in combat, others formations make you slow as a turtle but increase attack/defense modifiers, etc.

The AI is decent and the game was pretty easy to mod, but few mods can be found today. I remember downloading new AI files that made PC expand much faster and rather difficult to beat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom