Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Listen up fuckfaces - I just purchased Silverfall.

Okay okay. Remember I asked you guys about the game, and none of you fuckers volunteered to download the demo and try it out? Well, I did - and I liked it enough to buy it.

So. First impressions, first impressions. Where to start.

Um...

Good things:

- The combat is better than Dungeon Siege 2.

- The game world is shit-tons bigger (granted, i just got started, but the global map seems to be extremely sizable) than Titan Quest.

- Definitely has more interesting quests than say... Titan Quest.

- A lot of effort was put into the lore, and it shows - through NPC dialogue and various reading material scattered around the world.

- Beautifully rendered environment, somewhat reminiscent of Arcanum in atmosphere, with the duality between magic and technology, although I wish the "magical" side looked less tolkienesque, but whatever.

- Pretty decent character creation. Don't expect to pick anything detailed like background, traits, or lore, or whatever, but you do get to pick one out of four races, some cosmetic options, and some beginner skills.

- You get to do a lot of exploration, if that's your thing. The world is pretty non-linear, and really, you can go whereever the fuck you want. There's a primary quest chain and some secondary quest chains, which work kinda like the Oblivion system, with the main quest line and the guild quest-lines. Differentsecondary quest lines take you to different parts of the world, and you are free to roam the map from the get-go.

- It's a good game to play barbie dress-up. There are lots of armor/clothing models and they all have their own cosmetic flair. If you're one of those faggots that like to dress up your avatar with all sorts of bling bling in Oblivion then take screenshots and post them online along with attached fanfiction, then you'll like Silverfall a lot.

- Hot elf chicks. Shit-tons of them. Hell, I've just played this game for like 2 hours and already I've seen more hot elf chicks than I've seen representatives of all the other races combined. No wonder the city fell. It's got nothing but hot elf chicks. I'm not complaining though.

Bad Things:

-Fucking buggy. Okay, not as bad as Dungeon Lords or Mage Knight Apoc, but this is definitely NOT a polished and clean game upon release. Be expected to bump into frequent crashes, dead-end quests, buggy NPCs that get stuck on one loop of dialogue, and quest rewards that don't match up with the quest (As a reward for saving some hot elf chick from trolls, I got a bunch of magic beans with the accompanied dialogue 'Thank you for saving my farm from those bandits. Here are the magic beans I promised you.' Yeah, I know. WTF moment.).

I hear the patch DOES fix a lot of these, but we'll see. I'm downloading the patch right now. The game IS playable, though.

- Some quests are good. The majority are retarded. Go here. Fetch me this. Bring it back. Holy shit, this guy is pissing me off. Go kill his ass. Great. Have some gold.

- Be prepared to GRIND. Dungeons are fucking everywhere. You take two steps, shoot some motherfucker with your bow, take another two steps, stab somebody with your sword, and repeat AD INFINITUM. AD. FUCKING. INFINITUM. I guess that's kinda the point of a hack n' slash, but damn man, at least speed up the exp gain or something because I swear I can beat all five acts of Diablo 2 faster than I can get to like, level 3 in Silverfall.

- Shitty AI. Shitty, fucking AI. Yes, it's a mindless hack 'n slash. Yes, it's a Diablo clone. We get that. But come on, at least make us FEEL like we're actually fighting monsters NOT afflicted with Down's Syndrome. If you shoot a monster, he will stand there and take it for like 5 minutes and twitch around for a bit before charging at you. Aggroed monsters will chase you for like 2 seconds before returning back to patrol, allowing you to pull back easily at even the slightest hint of "holy shit, maybe I shouldn't have aggroed so many bitches", which, by the way, is half the fun of Hack 'n slash.

- The game is pretty fickle with your hardware. Now, it runs fine on my 8800, but there are a lot of people with slightly inferior but still beeffy cards that run this game far more poorly than expected.

IN CONCLUSION:

Well, I don't have one yet. I think I need to play it more to really get a feel for it before I end up feeling guilty for recommending you guys to buy a shitty game.

So... I'll keep you fuckers updated.

Oarfish

Prophet
Don't forget the crappy control system and the camera angles that don't let you back out of fights. ClicktoGo + over the shoulder view is a really shitty combination.

Ladonna

Arcane
So, I am guessing this is another loser to steer clear of?

kingcomrade said:
Can you make them dance like in my favorite RPG, World of Warcraft?

No.
So, I am guessing this is another loser to steer clear of?

Actually Ladonna, I'd keep an eye on this for when it hits the barbain bin. Hopefully, there'll be enough patching out to make it playable.

Texas Red

Whiner
Is tactics and actual thinking invovled in the combat?

About the elven women... that artist is sure damned skillful. As said before, the cover art gives me the desire to titty fuck the elf.

(Side note: women do not be discoureged. Size does not matter. Or does it? Dont like your own medicine, hmm?)

The Walkin' Dude said:
Is tactics and actual thinking invovled in the combat?

Not really. At this point, most of the tactics will go into trying to manipulate the camera angle so you could actually fight shit.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I played the demo and remember the field of view being fucked. The angle or the width or something.

Anyway, I found it frustrating.

However, I liked the graphical style. Due to instability didn't play enough to see how good an action RPG it is.

whitemithrandir: can you comment on the camera control/perspective? Oarfish and I found it suspect...what's your take?

Edit: oops, you just did. in a fashion. Cheers.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Fuckface... I like that one whitemithrandir. I'll have to remember that one next time I'm climbing off yer mum.

Shagnak said:
whitemithrandir: can you comment on the camera control/perspective? Oarfish and I found it suspect...what's your take?

Hang on. Lemme go ask Ollie Williams. Ollie?

133163613_m.gif

IT BLOWS ASS!

Thank you Ollie.

Fuckface... I like that one whitemithrandir. I'll have to remember that one next time I'm climbing off yer mum.

My mum's a man, FAGGOT.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oh I thought that was like a guinea pig or a hamster or something, now I get the joke whatever mod changed it was trying to make, it is still a bunny rabbit. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom