Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loking for old adventure games...

Schattenjäger

Scholar
That's quite the list of games to check out. Should keep me occupied for many months. Thanks!
I'm currently torrenting the only legend game I missed, "John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles". Is it as good as it seems to be?

aries202

Erudite
There's a King's Quest collection out as well as a Space Quest collection. You can also get KQ 4-6 on www.gog.com - also there's AGDI remakes of KQ
1-3 . Of the newer adventures, I would suggest The Longest Journey as well. I might also enjoy Syberia 1-2 and maybe Nikopol.

edit:

I haven't played 'the blackstone chronicles' but judging from the intro movie I once watched at youtube.com - the game is very good. As for suggestions, you might also like 'the black mirror' or maybe a game called 'scratches'.

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Most good to great oldies have been mentioned.

From the more recent crop, Ceville and Emerald City Confidential.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Old Windows games are the worst, WIN32 coding standards weren't as stable at this time...
Maybe you can try a VM running a vanilla 98.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Getting Windows 95 to run from inside DosBox is a bit of a nightmare. Works great with a Win98 virtual machine in VMWare though.

Zeus

Cipher
Quest for Glory. IV is my favorite. You don't really have to play them in any order, but if you must, go with the VGA remakes. (And unofficial remake of QFGII.)

The characters are great, and as an added bonus, it has a little RPG combat system built in.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
I'm trying to avoid the virtual machine thing, to much hassle to go after a win98 copy or torrent it. Any other suggestions?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yes, don't play the game.

Or get find and buy a retro system, but I doubt that'll be less hassle than googling "Win98 torrent".

Black Cat

Magister
@ Schattenjäger

On your original question it depends on what you call an Adventure Game. If you mean, like, Monkey Island and those i can't really recomend you a lot since i don't play too many of those, and like even less. If you mean in the broadest sense of adventure, though, and include games that are mostly explore locales both atmospheric and cool looking while solving crazy, complex, evil puzzles and almost casually finding small bits of plot here and there (those are technically also adventures, but people invent weird names for those since they are so diferent from the traditional Sierra and Lucasarts ones, and you totally can't solve them just by trying every item on every hotspot so many so called adventurers cry they are totally impossible to win without a walkthrough!) i can recomend you the first four Myst games (Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation), Obsidian, Morpheus, Lightbringer, and the like. Add Drowned God for sheer crazy, too. Those just, like, from the top of my furry ears, i can list some more names later if you wanty want, nya.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Flight of the Amazon Queen. Like Beneath a Steel Sky it is freeware and downloadable from the Scummvm site. It was not a very widely known game when it was released in 1995, and it's easy to see why. Iit's quite accessible and has this Larry meets Lucasarts vibe, but it is quite easy, its VA is pretty cheesy and some of the jokes are not so good. Still, it is a competent enough adventure from a time when adventures were not qte ridden platformers.
Edit: Also, it was basically made by two guys. here is an interview with one of them. It's pretty ironic, the guy considers adventure genre dead and wants to make console platformers.

Suchy

Arcane
Haven't seen Gabriel Knight mentioned here, and it's a must play.
Skip GK2 and you can give a try to GK3 - not bad game, if you can bear the terrible 3D graphics.
Another must is Blade Runner.
From the new shit I enjoyed Dreamfall (sequel to TLJ). But it gets kinda emo, my sister cried at the end. Totally fucked up controls though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dune (1) is trippy.
In fact all cryo games tend to be trippy (they're french)

Fez

Erudite
Dune 1 was fun. The art and soundtrack in the day were particularly good. There was a CD album released for it too, but it is not too common.

I've gone back and replayed that a couple of times over the years. I think I like the Amiga version best.

marlboroo

Novice
if you wanna try sierra games then play king quest 6 first

fyi most older sierra games have "dead end" situation (stuck, because you lost some item for other things etc.. so you have to restart from the beginning or load the previous save.. )

so good luck !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom