Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

aweigh most of the pictures in the original post are dead. Might be a good idea to consider a different hosting option?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok,I'm going to start the Llylgamyn saga using a SNES emulator, I previously completed the first floor and good part of the second,and quit because lack of time.

This time I want to complete them. I'm pretty excited because they look fantastic and what I played was good fun.

Any advice to a semi noob? What are the best and simple mapping tools?

Previously I used grid cartographer,and it's good,but maybe something more streamlined is enough and more efficient.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Ok,I'm going to start the Llylgamyn saga using a SNES emulator, I previously completed the first floor and good part of the second,and quit because lack of time.

This time I want to complete them. I'm pretty excited because they look fantastic and what I played was good fun.

Previously I used grid cartographer,and it's good,but maybe something more streamlined is enough and more efficient.
Graph paper and a good pencil.

BlackGoat

Arbiter

Graph paper and a good pencil.

Seriously though. Pencil and paper is the best. No alt-tabbing to different programs. No tiny windowed game next to windowed map tools. Just a quick glance up and down, make a few marks, tap forward, make a few more marks. It's good stuff. Muy zen. Plus you come out the other end with some nice future heirlooms.

e2h5QiF.jpg

Grid cartographer is cool, tho.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit dude, you should put those in the spoiler cause it's definitely NSFW stuff. I'm horny for some wizardry now.
Guess it's finally time to import my party to Wiz7 :smug:.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can you give me tips about class changing in Wiz1? At what levels is good and that kind of stuff.

Is it even worth it? I have read on some thread on Gamefaqs, that is not that good for Wiz1, but In Wiz2 is better.

Viata

Arcane
Well, I hardly do class change in the first three, unless I use the dagger in Wiz1, I always finish the game before my Thief becomes Ninja. But, knight -> samurai(in case you didn't start with one), and cleric -> bishop, sometimes I get a Lord, but then I would have to "cheat" because I usually go neutral/evil team.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Matador

honestly all i used (and still use) for mapping out floors is one pen/pencil and blank sheets of "printer paper". rooms are small squares, with doorways represented by inverted = signs, and hallways are simply a thin, long rectangle.

it's not really that complicated.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Or you just play civilized games that map shit out for you, which has been the standard since Wiz7 had the cartography skill in 1992.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
LOL @ Roqua casually calling elminage gothic "the worst RPG ever made" in the first sentence of his 6 paragraphs post

<(' '<)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, Courtier , i finally found where the data is stored on what each monster is carrying in their inventory and and what each monster has equipped in Elminage: Gothic's game files (windows PC version, obviously).

replacing every single enemy's inventory would be literally as easy as typing in an item/weapon's "number", (each item in the game is hard-coded to a specific number, ex. the Longsword is No. 45); so if we wanted to have Skillvig have a Longsword equipped and also have 5 of them in his inventory it is as simple as typing in the number 45 in the corresponding field under Skillvig's "entry".

now, the reason i am typing this instead of doing it: would you or anyone else actually plan on re-playing Gothic soon or know someone who will? it's a pretty time-consuming modification, adding all the items and shit to each enemy, and the only reason i haven't done it is because i don't want to do it for my own playthrough as it's not really that necessary.

i've been playing Elminage: Original on PSP concurrently as I tackle once again Ibag's Tower and you were absolutely right: by far, by faaaar the single most enjoyable activity i am engaging in while re-playing the normal-content dungeons of E: Original for a 2nd time is feverishly tracking down awesome loot/items/etc by opening up the Bestiary and checking each motherfucker for what they have in their pockets and then commencing the thrill of the hunt as i track 'em down in their habitats and massage their belongings onto my inventory w/ my Dragonewt lvl 32 thief.

just a few minutes ago i was randomly fighting some ice giants and noticed they were using the Freeze Sword so... i stole it. it is awesome. not to mention the sheer breadth of "extra" loot/weapons that are "monster specific", i.e. you can only steal them from enemies and they don't normally spawn in treasure chests. right before snagging the Freeze Sword I hunted down those shield-wielding Centipedes that spam Robikund and stole their +1 Paralyzing Fangs, heh. Been bringing along a Devilish samurai from the very beginning of this playthrough, just like my Thief, in anticipation of all the cool Cursed monster loot.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
getter77

i remember i asked Faramir if he needed help w/ the fan-trans for that Wizardry game on the gbatemp forums but he said he was giving up on it because it had too much text.

Courtier

Prophet
I think he also had difficulty with character restrictions w/ transition from JP to EN (amount of letters able to display on-screen)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Since this is the Wizardry Central thread, here's something cool: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/interview-d-w-bradley-on-wizardry-6-7/

I spoke with D.W. Bradley (kudos Crooked Bee) and got him to answer TWO questions on Wizardry 6 & 7:

In Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge the dungeon door closes as soon as you enter – there’s no town to return to. The old Wizardry loop of exploring, killing, looting and going back was removed. What led you to change the series’s gameplay in this way?

DWB: Bane was a breakout – it was time to take the next step, time for our adventures to grow up and leave the safety of the nest, it was time that there should be no going back. Bane retained the full spirit of traditional Wizardry, braving ever deeper into the castle dungeon, but then, what happens?! At the point of climax we reach not the lowest depths, but instead ascend outside the confines of the dungeon prison, freed forever from the shackles of the past, and the end now the prelude for what is to follow. In the moment it was done, I knew where the journey would next be taking us. Nevermind that the brick forest still appeared as dungeon walls – this was a time when magical realms still lived in imagination and not the video display. But I vowed in that moment that the next realm would have trees and forests that looked like trees and forests, and cities and sunshine and lakes and stars at night, and no more would searching for stairs down suffice…

The rival parties in Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant are one of its most outstanding features – and one that has never been done by any other RPG. What are your thoughts on them?

DWB: While working on Crusaders of the Dark Savant my mind was soaring, and this innovation was only the beginning of more amazing things to come. Alas, Crusaders was my last Wizardrytitle. On its heels came the advent of 3D, Doom and real-time, and as video games went mainstream, recognizable brand name and blowing people up commanded massive profits, while with rare exception innovation in game paradigms were costly, and all too often ended in failed titles. When I was young and working on my first computer games (text on teletype!), I could see with clarity what would one day be possible, and this sight has always illuminated my path. What I didn’t know was how far we could go in my lifetime, inevitable though it was. This vision is almost realized in the caliber of 3D games today, and VR promises more to come, yet there remains a dimension of computer simulation not yet manifest, almost untouched. It was from this wellspring that the feature you speak of emerged. The sight of it remains clear to me, and though it is not yet made, it shall one day come to pass. The question is when and by whom, and who shall be there to experience it?

More than ever, I feel like Wizardry's legacy live inside Cleve.

Roqua

Prospernaut
LOL @ Roqua casually calling elminage gothic "the worst RPG ever made" in the first sentence of his 6 paragraphs post

<(' '<)

I picked up Elminage original for the Nintendo thing, and trid it for a couple hours. There are quests and content and everything a game should have. Why didn't they put content into EG? It doesn't make sense.

Also, I've been playing the shit out of the Wizardry game for the PS2. It is great even though it has no character meaningful character development. I just got to the lowest prison area and up until now the dungeons were very well designed. That's how you do it. Lots of quests and content as well. And the group attack things are great too. The floor I'm on now is a pain in the ass and makes no sense. You would probably love it.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I found a new one - it was for the Nintendo thing, or the other thing like the Nintendo thing with the bigger screen. It was called Unchained something. It had a party of 4 and looked like it had a smaller PoE (mmo) type skill chart thing that kind of swirls around. It doesn't look like it has party generation, but neither does some other games you have listed. It was used but still like 30 or something so I didn't get it. So far I've been able to get most of the ones I've gotten for a couple bucks, or no more than $10. I'm not paying $30 for a fucking console thing game when my money can go to more deserving crpg developers.

Roqua

Prospernaut

<(' '<)

I picked up Elminage original for the Nintendo thing, and trid it for a couple hours. There are quests and content and everything a game should have. Why didn't they put content into EG? It doesn't make sense.

Also, I've been playing the shit out of the Wizardry game for the PS2. It is great even though it has no character meaningful character development. I just got to the lowest prison area and up until now the dungeons were very well designed. That's how you do it. Lots of quests and content as well. And the group attack things are great too. The floor I'm on now is a pain in the ass and makes no sense. You would probably love it.

Or is there quests and content like EO but it only opens up after you do the first dungeon?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Roqua

i'm glad you're actually enjoying Elminage: Original!

the first Elminage games are exactly like 'Original; they're quest-driven and all of the dungeons are open right from the beginning; in fact, most of the dungeons are outdoors and Elminage: Original features a very fantasty-RPG feel and sound that is very pleasant.

the reason they made E: Gothic so hard-core is because Starfish was tired of the fantasy-land stuff and they really, really wanted to create a modern Wizardry game. Mind you, i don't mean that they wanted to modernize Wizardry, as that would be foolish, rather they wanted to create a 1980's Wizardry game in their Elminage engine.

and boy did they succeed! <3

they also alienated a few of their followers with Gothic as apparently not everyone is interested in hard-core dungeon diving with bleak and oppressive atmospheres and incredibly stacked battles. Pussies.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Roqua

the first Elminage games are exactly like 'Original; they're quest-driven and all of the dungeons are open right from the beginning; in fact, most of the dungeons are outdoors and Elminage: Original features a very fantasty-RPG feel and sound that is very pleasant.

the reason they made E: Gothic so hard-core is because Starfish was tired of the fantasy-land stuff and they really, really wanted to create a modern Wizardry game. Mind you, i don't mean that they wanted to modernize Wizardry, as that would be foolish, rather they wanted to create a 1980's Wizardry game in their Elminage engine.

they also alienated a few of their followers with Gothic as apparently not everyone is interested in hard-core dungeon diving with bleak and oppressive atmospheres and incredibly stacked battles. Pussies.

You keep saying hard core but no content isn't hard core, it is cheap. The other games have the same mechanics and "hard coreness" but with content. Lastly, none of the classes are well designed in this game - they are poorly designed just like the class change mechanic that wants you to grind classes just to get more spells for your ending class. At least SoSC has a up to 8 choices, regardless of if all 8 are a given for all members in general or due to the ending function you want them to have.

EG is the worst wiz clone ever made. Etrian Odyssey 3 has the best chardev of all of them I've played so far. Class of Heroes seems to have the most content. The Wizardry for the playstation 2 (forsaken something or other) seems to have the best dungeon design so far, a great amount of content and interactivity, and has je ne sais quoi out the ass.

EG has decent chargen, but after that the game is devoid of panache of any kind that I have seen.

Have you tried games like Clicker Hero? That seems to be right up your alley.

One great thing about these console games, especially the older ones, is no difficulty levels. Normal is a good challenge usually too. Crpgs seem to have a new normal of retard level easy. It can't be normal; it can't be the game as the developer intended being that fucking easy. Besides EG which is easy but with a huge grind of stupid and nothing and no content.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Roqua

You keep saying hard core but no content isn't hard core, it is cheap. The other games have the same mechanics and "hard coreness" but with content. Lastly, none of the classes are well designed in this game - they are poorly designed just like the class change mechanic that wants you to grind classes just to get more spells for your ending class. At least SoSC has a up to 8 choices, regardless of if all 8 are a given for all members in general or due to the ending function you want them to have.

EG is the worst wiz clone ever made. Etrian Odyssey 3 has the best chardev of all of them I've played so far. Class of Heroes seems to have the most content. The Wizardry for the playstation 2 (forsaken something or other) seems to have the best dungeon design so far, a great amount of content and interactivity, and has je ne sais quoi out the ass.

EG has decent chargen, but after that the game is devoid of panache of any kind that I have seen.

Have you tried games like Clicker Hero? That seems to be right up your alley.

One great thing about these console games, especially the older ones, is no difficulty levels. Normal is a good challenge usually too. Crpgs seem to have a new normal of retard level easy. It can't be normal; it can't be the game as the developer intended being that fucking easy. Besides EG which is easy but with a huge grind of stupid and nothing and no content.

Tale of forsaken land has the best script/story, it's a fun game but the battle speed is so slow with all those animation. the sequel fix all that...

Etrian odyssey 3 has fun class with sub class but the dungeon are ass. other EO had better dungeon...I tried 5 demo and it seemed nice so far.

Stranger of sword city is mostly about gear and because it's very fast, good music and few other things. the class system needs some work, fighter kinda suck because of their low accuracy, ninja are OP.....

Class of heroes are when you want a no brainer/easy drpg, they're fun at first but after a while you want the game to end.

Elminage gothic has the best dungeon design I've seen. it really is one of my favorite wiz clone.
Elminage original is great too but for different reason...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Roqua this is real RPG content:

anything less than this is not a true RPG. fedex quests and badly written NPCs stay far, far away from me please! I prefer gameplay in my RPGs :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae Courtier

btw, after watching that video i actually realized why he was suddenly giving so much trouble!

i had just equipped on my ninja an M-range throwing weapon called 'Gravity Ring' and i didn't realize that it has a big change to poison the enemy on hit. What's the problem? i was reading Skillving's Bestiary entry and he has an ability called "Drunken Punch" which doubles (2x) his melee dmg output when he is poisoned.

WHEN HE IS POISONED.

No wonder he was 1-shotting me in that video left and right I was poisoning him right from the veyr beginning of the encounter. I got rid of the Gravity Ring and moved my ninja to the front-row and gave him 2 katanas, 2x Kunetliska's each with 35% Beheading enchantment <3

(w/ his current level total beheading chance is 65%. however i looked at Skillving's entry and he has 90% behead resistance, so until then there won't be any beheading him. however he is extremely weak to Confusion spell, so i enchanted everybody's sub-weapon with 30-40% Confusion %

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom