Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a humanoid animation tool

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In particular, I need something that will allow me to make an animation of a human silhouette, walking primarily but maybe also performing a variety of attacks. The simpler to use, the better. I was looking over the development tools thread and saw a link to this:

http://www.makehuman.org/content/features.html

Has anyone used this program? Can it be used to animate a model? I'm mainly looking for something that will give me the ability to press a few buttons, have a walking silhouette i can take screenshots of then paint over each frame in paint.net or something.

Suggestions of alternate programs that can do this would also be welcomed. I am primarily looking for ease of use since I don't have the time or patience to learn how to use a complex program right now.

oldschool

Scholar
Makehuman doesn't currently have posing capabilities that I am aware of. It is an interesting tool for generating the model though, if you have need of it.

One tool that comes to mind is Daz3D. It is similar to Poser, and has a free version. It comes with free models, and you can also import your own. It also has a posing interface. About as simple a program to learn as you can find, I think.

Edit: Also, you can set up the texture and lighting and render the images straight from daz3d, unless you have some additional purpose to using screenshots and a paint program.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm using paint because I'm making a 2d game with fairly simple graphics and small characters (64x64 for most of them). It would take an hour tops to create all the frames in paint after I have the silhouette. It's just not worth the effort (nor do I personally have the skill) to make full 3d models of all the characters and enemies. Daz3D looks good, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom