Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Looking For Inputs And Suggestions For Mechanic System Refinement.

Ser Evergreen

Barely Literate
Good day to all Codexers!

I am currently in the process of refining the mechanics for our project, and wish to look for additional inputs on certain aspects of it. In essence, the intended direction of the game will be to integrate good aspects of both JRPG and WRPG that can work properly together in an interconnected manner, and as such, our game will have a turn-based combat basis with command-oriented control similar to the template most seen in JRPG, while character progression will have elements of free-form development most seen in WRPG. At the moment, I want to find a good way to implement the progression resource system, which is related to the following mechanics:

Character progression:
A player character's combatant model will have an intended soft level cap of 100, with 6 base attributes affecting various derived attributes that will be integral to the formulae for determining battle outcomes. Each level up will earn 10 attribute points that can be spent to improve the base attributes, and depending on the inherent traits the species of the character has to reflect its dynamicity lore-wise, a base attribute will have a standard cost (1 point per 1 stat up), an advantageous cost (1 point per 1 stat up + 1 free stat up per level up), or a disadvantageous cost (2 points per 1 stat up).

Combat skill progression:
A character can choose and equip a maximum of 3 unique skill trees total, with each tree having their distinctive dis/advantages and specializations towards offense (single-target or AoE DPS), defense (buff, debuff, crowd control), or support (cure, heal, tanking) skills, of physical or magical nature, thus expressing the concept of learning from combat/martial art schools available in the world of the game's lore. Each level up will earn 1 skill point to be spent into progressing any of the 3 skill trees chosen. A skill tree's progression will be divided into tiers, with each tier having its set of various skills and a specific requirement of skill points spent in order to progress to the next tier and unlock the more advanced skills belong to these higher tiers, as well as earning a set of bonuses for having mastered the tier to reflect specialization commitment and skill synergy.

Working for the above intended designs, at the moment, our only (and most obvious) progression resource system is a single form of universal XP which can be earned both through combat and various forms of world interaction (exploration, quest, social play, etc.), necessitating a high level of abstraction to make it more fitting both mechanically and narratively. Combining that with our wish to balance the amount of combat/exploration grinding and avoid unintentionally imposing optimal path on the player (which can lead to exploits in itself), we plan to extend the system further by having more progression systems in place (perks, traits, social skills that can be developed, for example), implementing a sensible level scaling system (similar to Fallout: New Vegas', which we believe to be the most balanced version of it so far), and spend effort in balancing the amount of XP being handed out per source. While we are willing to go through with the points mentioned, we hope to find a more balanced or better/efficient way to implement progression resource, facilitating the need to create this discussion topic.

Thank you all for taking your time and effort to read and join this discussion. Hopefully we can gather high quality inputs and suggestions from those that have developed or experienced through gameplay better systems than what we currently have.

Ser Evergreen

Barely Literate
Ask Prosper to design systems for you.

I am not sure how this is relevant or useful to the topic at hand, but thank you regardless.

Admittedly it has been several days since the topic was created, but interest in it nor input for it have yet to manifest. I wonder if there is any missing information I should fill in to make it more appealing.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I am not sure how this is relevant or useful to the topic at hand, but thank you regardless.

Admittedly it has been several days since the topic was created, but interest in it nor input for it have yet to manifest. I wonder if there is any missing information I should fill in to make it more appealing.
I just think your system is kinda generic. Get some drugs and start over.

J1M

Arcane

There aren't enough details presented for people to poke holes in your design and this isn't the right website if you are just looking for a pat on the head.

Ser Evergreen

Barely Literate
There aren't enough details presented for people to poke holes in your design

I am sorry, but unless I can be informed of what is missing and needed to make the topic more engaging, I will not be able to know. Besides, I would not want to elaborate on everything involved in the system at once due to the risk of making a text wall that would put people off, as well as disclosing everything right off the bat, which is not a good idea.

and this isn't the right website if you are just looking for a pat on the head.

Unless I have not made myself clear, I have stated my intention as looking for assistance/extra brain power/different perspectives and lines of thought on the matter of figuring out a way to implement a better progression resource system under the intended mechanic constraints. The thread's name itself should have implicated that I am asking for help as well. As such, I am really unsure as to why this is thought of as me looking for compliments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom