Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for survival horror recommendations

Terenty

Liturgist
Play 2Dark.

It was made by the guy behind the original Alone in the Dark and it kinda feels similar somehow, only much more fucked up and disturbing. In fact i'm surprised it wasn't outright banned for its subject matter.(ign and gamespot refused to review it lol)

The gameplay is a mix of stealth, survival horror(limited resources), and a bit of puzzles. The levels are pretty cool and open ended. It kinda plays like a weird mix of Thief/hitman/alone in the dark

Very old school too in its difficulty

Arthandas

Prophet
Play 2Dark.
I wanted to but I've read it's full of bugs, highly unpolished and basically abandoned by the developer.
Lies
The game was released on 10 Mar 2017 and the last update was on 19 April 2017. it was already dead one month after release.
According to this interview the dev even admits it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/435100/discussions/0/1744483505468197373/#c2573193396561557532

Not only the devs have zero respect for their playerbase by not fixing their product, they're also lying pieces of shit. The game was crowdfunded as a drm free release but ultimately they put denuvo in it which (not surprisingly) caused a small shitstorn. It was removed after the game was cracked but by then nobody gave a shit.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Did any of you tried "Lost in Vivo"? Seems pretty interesting with strong Silent Hill vibes.

Terenty

Liturgist
Play 2Dark.
I wanted to but I've read it's full of bugs, highly unpolished and basically abandoned by the developer.
Lies
The game was released on 10 Mar 2017 and the last update was on 19 April 2017. it was already dead one month after release.
According to this interview the dev even admits it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/435100/discussions/0/1744483505468197373/#c2573193396561557532

Not only the devs have zero respect for their playerbase by not fixing their product, they're also lying pieces of shit. The game was crowdfunded as a drm free release but ultimately they put denuvo in it which (not surprisingly) caused a small shitstorn. It was removed after the game was cracked but by then nobody gave a shit.
The game has 81% positive on steam(which at the very least suggests it's not a broken piece of shit). If you are so butthurt about the politics surrounding the game's release and whatnot then more power to you i guess.

Arthandas

Prophet
The game has 81% positive on steam
Yeah, and 54/68 (depending on the platform) on the metacritic since you care so much about numerical values.
It can have 100/100 for all I care, doesn't change the fact it's buggy and unfinished and if you value your time you'll play something better.

Ash

Arcane
I'd like to play something new but it seems the genre now consists of:
* glorified walking simulator trash (Outlast, Alien Isolation, Devotion, anything from Frictional Games/Blobber Team)
* horror themed action games (Evil Within, Dead Space, half of Resident Evils, Condemned)
* multiplayer games designed for Twitch (too many to count)
* dumbed down adventure games (Coma, Detention)
To be clear, I don't consider ANY of those games to be survival horrors.

The state of the genre is depressing, there's not even a one good release per year...

To show what I consider a good survival horror game, here are my favorites (in no particular order):
Silent Hill 1-4 (especially 2, basically all the titles made by Team Silent)
Darkwood
Lone Survivor
Pathologic 1/2 (yeah, I know there's a LOT of walking, but shut up, Pathologic is special)
RE2 Remake
RE7

There are some PS2 classics that I'm yet to play but are on my radar: Rule of Rose, Haunting Grounds, Siren and Fatal Frame series.

So, is there anything good that I'm not aware of? How do you deal with the state of the genre?

For reference, I consider Darkwood the only worthy survival horror in well over a decade, Alien Isolation is indeed a pile o' shit (it has some gameplay, but it's laughable, barebones, disjointed and insulting of one's intelligence) ignore the occasional cucks here that eat up any old shit, that walking sims aren't even games and have no place among video gaming greats, and Silent Hill 2 is vastly overrated (partly because bad gameplay even by Silent Hill standards. A good story wins no points with me if the game or horror part is mediocre) though it is nowhere near as bad as modern shit. The REmake games are also overrated (though again, better than the modern average).

1. System Shock 2 (Masterpiece)
2. Resident Evil 1-3 (original PS versions in each instance)
3. Darkwood (wow an actual worthy modern attempt. Of course it is indie :/)
4. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Ignore anyone says this game falls apart after the Innsmouth Escape. It is a flawed game overall but a fine entry nonetheless. Sum of its parts).
5. Silent Hill (original and best, forget the rest).
6. Parasite Eve 2 (the first is also great but not so much Survival Horror).
7. Dead Space 1 & 2 + RE4 (More action horror like you say, but they're actually decent and almost qualify).
8. Martian Gothic (I possibly give this game more praise than it deserves).
9. Manhunt (if this qualifies. I think so just about).
10. Cold Fear (it's enjoyable, but nothing spectacular).

Also, Dying Light is indeed good but it isn't survival horror. More action Horror. But Darkwood aside Action horror is literally all you get if looking for something modern and good. Sorry.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cyrostasis. underrated masterpiece like pathologics (not as good) but still. you hafta sail the seven seas tho because the devs got screwed and the game is delisted on every store fronts

Wunderbar

Arcane
Did any of you tried "Lost in Vivo"? Seems pretty interesting with strong Silent Hill vibes.
it's pretty good. Doesn't have a resource management or interesting puzzles though, it's basically a first person shooter with some scary bits and a occasional inventive setpiece moments.
Worth noting that Lost in Vivo doesn't have a cohesive narrative, the game is divided into thematic episodes (like a sewers, a metro station with ghosts, a lab with mutants, etc).

SumDrunkGuy

RE1 Remake is literally a pinnacle of survival horror genre.

Wunderbar gets it.

IMO, the Souls games are the closest remaining thing to true Survival Horror we have left. I think they fit the bill, even though they're not really horror. They have enough horror elements for me to consider them survival horror (I'm talking like imagery and atmosphere, creature designs, feeling of hopelessness, etc) so eat my shit if you disagree.

And don't be shitting on Frictional Games. SOMA is a mustard piece of storytelling in the degenerate gaming medium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthandas

Prophet
the Souls games are the closest remaining thing to true Survival Horror we have left
Yeah... no. It's a horror themed action rpg, nothing more, nothing less. It's not even close to survival horror because:
1) The game is too combat/action heavy.
2) There's no immediate story. As far as gameplay goes, you're just following enemy A -> enemy B - enemy C - enemy D - BOSS - repeat in next area
3) You have infinite resources. Estus is infinite, souls are infinite, you can buy all the consumables you want.
4) It's very easy to become really powerful and trivialize almost all enemies.
5) It doesn't try to be scary.

have enough horror elements for me to consider them survival horror (I'm talking like imagery and atmosphere, creature designs, feeling of hopelessness, etc)
By this criteria Doom is a survival horror.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This thread reads like a cry for help. There's nothing we can do OP, you'll need to talk to professionals if you want help with your autism and personality disorders.

Terenty

Liturgist
And don't be shitting on Frictional Games. SOMA is a mustard piece of storytelling in the degenerate gaming medium.
Frictional Games are talentless hacks stuck in the past as proved by their latest turd Amnesia Rebirth. Soma plays like a discount version of System Shock 2, with a cringe "deep" story and shitty amateur voice acting

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Frictional Games are talentless hacks stuck in the past as proved by their latest turd Amnesia Rebirth.
Corporations aren't people. Important staff from SOMA (e.g. the writer) left before working on Rebirth.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
If you liked the original Alone in the Dark, you might be interested in Doctor Hauzer -- think Alone in the Dark in full 3D with switchable camera angles, facial animations, etc. It's also fairly short, so even if you end up not liking it, you'll still finish it in like an hour or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom