Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LordKat's Until We Win - Top 10 Hardest Adventure Games

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"This game is difficult because" *shows a completely different scene*

"This game require you to read the manual"

"Waaaah, puzzles are too obscure!"

"GK3 is difficult."

I'm sorry, but fuck this retard.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
It's just a list of Sierra/Lucasarts games, with Discworld of all games thrown in for no real reason other than the fact that this guy sucked at adventure games. I can't believe Sam N' Max got in there.

And about GK3, I might remember this incorrectly, but didn't it come with an in-game hint system of sorts? I could swear you could click the lightbulb icon and Gabe would chime in with some hint on how to solve the puzzle? I might be imagining it though. Either way, that passport/disguise puzzle is among some of the easiest puzzles ever made. Contrived and retarded? Absolutely. But shouldn't be anything but a walk in the park for someone who plays a lot of adventure games. The guy is a piece of shit. I am so angry at Lord Kat and his stupid website.

:M

ironyuri

More angry video game nerd bullshit only more monotone.

I am fucking sick of these people and this guy's accent is worse than the others.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ironyuri said:

I am fucking sick of these people and this guy's accent is worse than the others.

What about the actual content of the video?

ironyuri

Jaesun said:
ironyuri said:

What about the actual content of the video?

His criticisms of most of the adventure games seemed so utterly pointless.

"Look at Discword... a puzzle where you have to put a keg in a fireplace... IMAGINE THAT AMIRITE????"

Last I played Discworld was 2 years ago but as far as I remember all the puzzles made sense in the context that they popped up and usually they weren't too difficult (when I played it at 9 years old without the manual handy it was, I admit... much more difficult), and generally they weren't so abstruse as to mystify completely.

That seemed to form his basis for criticising everything; puzzle is obscure ergo game is shit.

Also the disparity between in-game footage and the puzzles he was actually talking about made the whole thing rather confusing.

Here is Rincewind sleeping... meanwhile let me tell you about a puzzle that I haven't contextualised but trust me its rly hard bros!

It's the kind of video nomask would make to showcase his criticisms of academia. "LOOK HERE IS A PICTURE OF A UNIVERSITY JANITOR... LOL LOOK HOW SHIT IT IS THEY DONT EVEN HAVE BRAIN!"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Andyman Messiah said:
I can't believe Sam N' Max got in there.
What? S&M's puzzles were exquisitely designed to be of just the right difficulty. It wasn't a beginner's game, and most of Lucas's other adventures were easier, but top 10 for difficulty? really?

Also, WTF is this shit, I'm not watching a 16 minute video. List your 10 games faggot.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
No Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders? That game was far, far harder than Maniac Mansion, the only other LucasArts game of that era that made the list.

And Gabriel Knight 3 wasn't that bad. The puzzle in question was pretty retarded, but the rest of the game generally avoided such arbitrariness. It even had some quite original puzzles, such as when Grace was decoding some ancient message with the aid of cryptology program on her laptop.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Zac McKracken is one of few Lucas games where you actually could die/screw yourself over. This guy didn't play it and he's supposed to be older than I am. Decline of old people.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sceptic said:
I'm not watching a 16 minute video.
Here you go, buddy.

Honorable Mention 1: Laura Bow 2: The Dagger of Amon Ra
"You play as journalist Laura Bow 2 and you have to do journalist stuff and if you don't then you die because you didn't do the journalist stuff the game wanted you to do."

Honorable Mention 2: Sam N' Max: Hit the Road
"This game is crazy! I can't believe I have to pay attention to details/hints in the dialogue to know what to do. Meanwhile, let me talk about a puzzle in the game while I show Max sticking his hand down a cat's throat. Isn't that crazy?! WHOAAA!!"

On with the real list, here we go.

10: Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
"Everything in this game can kill you, just like in every other Sierra adventure game from this period in time. Trial and error, just like in every other Sierra adventure game from this period in time."

09: Discworld
I honestly don't really understand what's he saying here. His voice sounds like he's eating a millionn apples. Discworld is strange, but the puzzles all make sense in the context and it's really no worse than any other pixel hunt.

08: Codename: ICEMAN
"Read the manual? I don't need a manual, I'm James Bond! Goddamn I died. Worst game ever!" Also: everything in this game can kill you, just like in every other Sierra adventure game from this period in time. Trial and error, just like in every other Sierra adventure game from this period in time. Save often, chump.

07: Gold Rush!
Yeah, you got your time limit and everything can kill you's in this game. Act fast and you're probably okay as long as you didn't forget something. Difficult? Eh...

06: The Adventures of Willy Beamish
My friend, you are fucking disqualified. Up until this point I definitely could have taken your list seriously. But Willy Beamish? Are you kidding me? For the sake of humanity, please do not reproduce.

05: Manhunter: New York
This is the one game on the list I haven't played but it sounds to me like another RTFM moment, really. Pay attention to the fucking game and I'm sure you'll do fine, albeit with some trial and error. (Just like in every Sierra game.)

04: Maniac Mansion
I beat this game on the 8-Bit Nintendo when I was seven. It was translated to swedish and everything made sense. It was pretty apparent which characters were useful and once you'd beaten the game it was fun to try out different combinations. There are no unwinnable characters.

03: King's Quest: Quest for the Crown [EGA]
Okay, yeah, I admit that puzzle drove me nuts. So why the fuck isn't it higher on the list?

02: King's Quest 3: To Heir is Human
My favorite King's Quest game is difficult. Yup. Unless you read the manual which pretty much explains that you gotta get the fuck out of this crazy asshole's house before he kills you. Still, it's another dose of everything can kill you which requires a lot of trial and error.

03 01: Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
GK3 shouldn't even be on this list. I love all the Gabriel Knight games, but it's insulting that this is apparently the hardest adventure game of all time according to Lord Kat and shows exactly how much he knows about the genre. It's painful. What kind of fucking name is Lord Kat anyway? Get a real name, like Lord Andyman Messiah or some shit.

made

Arcane
Why do people with annoying voices insist on making videos/audio commentaries? Fucking type if you sound like shit.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The Internet and him needs to have a discussion.

THE INTERNET IS ANGRY

:mob:

By the way if you listened to the video he said he's naming the games that he found hardest as a child, not the hardest of all time, sweet selective hearing you guys.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Satori said:
By the way if you listened to the video he said he's naming the games that he found hardest as a child, not the hardest of all time, sweet selective hearing you guys.
That makes it a lot worse actually. Who the fuck gives a shit about a list of games he thought were difficult when he was a retarded little baby?

edit: Also, if he was a kid when GK3 came out I'm older than he is. My bad. No more decline of old people. Just more decline of young people.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Andyman Messiah said:
Here you go, buddy.
Thanks horse WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT :x

Laura Bow 2 was much, MUCH easier than the first game. Pretty easy by Sierra standards anyway.
Sam N' Max: Hit the Road: just no. Wacky yes, and the last set of puzzles were challenging (as end-game puzzles should be), but that's it.

Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers: This is the easiest SQ game you gigantic faggot :x There is very little trial and error you moron, you just have to fucking PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing.

Discworld: if you've read any of the books and know what kind of logic powers that world, it's pretty easy. Yes very strange, but so was Monkey Island and it wasn't that hard (first one)

Codename: ICEMAN: yeah this one had trial and error, but since when does this makes games harder? and I'm guessing he died a lot at that bit that was just an elaborate copy protection and didn't bother checking the manual...

The Adventures of Willy Beamish: WHAT THE FUCK. THIS IS A FUCKING CHILDREN'S GAME FOR FUCK'S SAKE. This was THE beginner's game by Dynamix.

Maniac Mansion: Oh come on. It IS possible to complete the game with ANY character combination (and with some you get special endings too - I think there's only one that can get you the "Meteor becomes a writer" one). There were shitloads of multiple solutions in case too, which last time I checked makes game easier. WTF is he on about? SMA's right, if he's going to include a Lucas game from then it should be Zak (which was pretty challenging and quite long)

King's Quest: Quest for the Crown [EGA]: EGA version had so many things to make it EASIER than the original, including the "backward" name (which was a fucking NIGHTMARE in the first game).

King's Quest 3: To Heir is Human: Mmm... well this one's probably the hardest of the KQs, so that's semi-kinda understandable. But still there were TONS of hints in the manual.

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned: Hardest? really? Fuck this. I'm sure the complete and utter lack of any Infocom or Scott Adams game on here is purely coincidental. This list is pathetic. Honestly if I had to make a top 10 myself half of it would be Infocom...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ironyuri said:
Last I played Discworld was 2 years ago but as far as I remember all the puzzles made sense in the context that they popped up and usually they weren't too difficult (when I played it at 9 years old without the manual handy it was, I admit... much more difficult), and generally they weren't so abstruse as to mystify completely.
tentacle rape

ironyuri

SCO said:
ironyuri said:
tentacle rape

:mhd:

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Andyman Messiah said:
04: Maniac Mansion
I beat this game on the 8-Bit Nintendo when I was seven. It was translated to swedish and everything made sense. It was pretty apparent which characters were useful and once you'd beaten the game it was fun to try out different combinations. There are no unwinnable characters.

Neither Dave nor the surfer guy could finish the game, but that's what the third character was for.

zeitgeist

Magister
Andyman Messiah said:
03 01: Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
GK3 shouldn't even be on this list. I love all the Gabriel Knight games, but it's insulting that this is apparently the hardest adventure game of all time according to Lord Kat and shows exactly how much he knows about the genre.
I suspect that Gabriel Knight 3 is there purely because of this article. People read that (and similar silly articles) and accept the perceived "general opinion" on things they haven't experienced, and suddenly start considering themselves experts on the subject matter. This rarely gets noticed unless said "general opinion" is absolutely ridiculous upon examination.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
zeitgeist said:
I suspect that Gabriel Knight 3 is there purely because of this article.
Oh god why did you have to remind me? That was such a retarded article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom