Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Kipeci

Arcane
Initially I was going to go for Gigadyne all the way, forgetting about minions and aiming to kill off all males, but I figured that no one was really going to go for that. In place of that, I've put together the following plan.

5 elite goblins
20 speargoblins
10 slinggoblins
40 bandits (teleported over from Fortunio's if necessary).
50 combat golems (not tested in battle)
5 4 slimes

Out of the maximum forces I want to bring a pretty sizable fraction, all of everyone except for of the bandits and slimes.

I intend on leaving the bandits out because I think that they're better off expanding Fortunio's... well, fortunes, and I think if any of them were captured and interrogated it would be much worse than for any other group. Think about it: the goblins are fanatically loyal to us, the slimes are just considered as dumb monsters and the golems obviously can't speak. Human bandits would tend to be talk more readily than any other group to our enemies here, and given that we have their loyalty only indirectly through Fortunio I think that they would not quite eagerly go through torture rather than spilling the beans as a goblin would. That could mightily endanger Fortunio's operations nearer to the capital.

For the slimes, I am considering a quote that treave left us a while back:
Oh, no, they're relatively high level slimes born with great potential. Started off near the normal slime level cap. The aura hasn't done much for them yet. You'll be able to class them up soon if you play your cards right during the upcoming adventurer event.
We want them picking up experience, the sooner we can get them up to Slime Queens means the sooner that they reach relative autonomy and begin the mass production of minor minions. The four of them that I want on the case are the carnivorous one, the omnivorous one, the one that munches on armor/weapons and the one that consumes the passion of the entangled. There are plenty of bodies and weapons at this site, a bounty for them to feast upon provided that they are adequately protected. That said, it doesn't do to place all eggs in one basket, so just in case I'd rather that our ore-muncher and the herbivorous one stay away from the field of battle.

The goblins are more expendable. I just don't want the relatively high-level slimes to be the weakest critters on the battlefield so that they aren't wiped out, so to that end I'd rather have goblins take more of the hits. The slinggoblins are probably best to have at the edge of the woods or the engagement where they can pick off troublesome opponents caught up in the battle, and each slime ought to have assigned to it one elite goblin (the pink one can have two since a living prey as it requires is the most dangerous) as well as five speargoblins. That ought to ensure that the speargoblins are all kept in shape by a more experienced commander who can exhort them to glory and keep them in a relatively organized state in the confusion of battle, rather than leaving the inexperienced speargoblins totally on their own to figure out what to do.

Now, I realize that it's quite likely that a good number of our goblins will die here while going up against strong adventurers regardless of how good Erd is at the offense game. I think it's acceptable, though, as the survivors will be very much hardened and that's really the most that we can expect from them. Once we get slime queens, we'll have plenty of literally squishy minions to throw away at problems; the goblins just can't fill that role, we don't have enough of them and they don't reproduce quickly enough. The golems are even being created more quickly than them, and the golems are better in just about every way aside from their actual thinking and skill. The goblins can fill an intermediary role as our commanders until we can get better minions and find the proper situations to deploy our other cannon-fodder in, but to get to that point we need to have them actually go into battle and get that experience to know what they should be doing.

It'd still just be a bloodbath with the goblins, but fortunatley we have the combat golems at our disposal. I'd like to assign a good dozen of them to each slime group to be ordered around at the elite's command, making sure to have them tank as many of the hits as they can manage and serve as a dangerous flailing shield wall from behind which the spear goblins can poke at enemies with relative safety.

As to the approach we take, I'd prefer to go for an immediately aggressive one taking advantage of their surprise. Gigadyne (or obliterate with with some other suitably powerful spell, for those of you wary of the squire noticing it or something) a prominent area of the camp (preferably the one with the mages in it given a choice), take out whatever defenses haven't been triggered by the stupidly powerful magic and have the slime squads rush in (maybe with a hapless golem at the front in case of traps) and seize victims for their respective slime. They can then set to holding their positions while the slimes have their fun, with Erd doing a lot of menacing flopping about as the Dark Schlong and vaporizing the most troublesome people in the startled camp before they can form organized nuclei of resistance. Inevitably it'll end up like stirring a beehive and Erd won't be able to secure all the groups, so before then he ought to have the squishier elements retreat while the golems hold the line. He can do one last flashy move to murder other prominent figures, and then order a general retreat while they're occupied with that and issue the most uptight of them a challenge against him within his castle.

treave, do you think that Erd can conceive of a better way to develop the goblins slimes? I'm devising this mostly with the goal of getting them to be in a better shape, but I'm not precisely sure of what helps them out. Do they develop more from muching on their preferred food, or from being in actual combat? Is this an alright way to train them, or would Erd have a better idea in mind for that? I don't want to form the basis of my plan on a misconception.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
By the way, I almost forgot and surely many of you probably did by now: do you remember the ruins? IIRC, one of our named gobbos (Boss I think) proposed to explore these. Whatever kind of horrible and ancient evil is lurking there, we need to leave some of our troops nearby, if only to delay it until we come back and deal with the problem at hand. Otherwise, we risk a scenario in which we lose many of our troops in this initial assault... Only to come back and find our own village under attack by a monster with too many tentacles and a never-ending hunger. That should be another incentive for not deploying a large force for this skirmish.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not a simple plan like "kill them" or "kidnap him" and makes assumptions about how hundreds of people will be acting in unknown conditions, how convincing the staged rescue of the prince can be performed, whether the prince actually is grateful enough to listen to little peasant Aria over long-term advisors...
'What ifs', 'what ifs'.

None of this affects the major point of the plan which is to show that there exists a new enemy previously unknown to them. Which suceeds even if any of those side goals are not accomplished - and I still believe they would.

Assuming that the adventurers are this genre-savvy and don't resist the idea that evil baddie taunting them is legitimately who they want, and legitimately has what they want, and legitimately is not trying to divert them from his real base as any non-genre-savvy person of average intelligence might conclude... What leads are they actually pursuing?
There are no leads because there is no Universe-altering artefact in the ruins. The interlude stated that they are here because the Barzamites were here, searching for whatever those were searching (and likely does not exist).

Any person of average intelligence would conclude that a castle is the real base, because, y'know... fortification. Which is usually erected in a place you want to defend for one reason or the other.

But I am not sure why this has any influence on the goal of this raid as stated by me. Which is different from yours. I do not want actual combat to happen before we have a solid advantage.

She won't be quite as convincing as a sudden hero flashing into a group of much bigger high-level royal bodyguards to save the prince somehow with her meagre skills from an attack by the big baddy, who just "fenced back and forth" single-handedly with over 200 adventurers. Her single major spell is basically electric clothing removal.
I have addressed this before. She does not need to best us in combat which is what you are alluding to, she needs to dodge our attack she knows about in advance. That is neither too hard, nor out of the realm of what is believable. If our attacks are undodgeable on principle, then what are we even worrying about?

Also, I am not sure if you noticed, but we have put the last few weeks towards her training, which improved her skills and removed the deficiency in her spell.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, why are we discussing a serious raid on these people? As much as I want to relocate eastwards, our base is here, along with some actually important ruins, so we need to keep Erise an obscure, Podunk village. If we actually show them that there is a serious threat around here, they'll just leave and come back with more people to deal with the threat decisively. The whole point of the castle was to lure the adventurers in, play mind games to make them think they've won and then have them leave, never to come back again.
That, and it's foolish to attack a fortified enemy position with inferior troops, when we can literally Gigadyne the whole place out of existence from the comfort of our base.

Here's my plan, let's call it Hollywood:
We gather enough kindling to put up a convincing backdrop and set the area around their camp aflame. The sections where our troops will be stationed will have a safe corridor to retreat through, should the adventurers actually go for a serious charge.

The goblins and golems will be arranged so as to make the horde seem bigger than it actually is.
The golems in the center as the shield, dressed up to look like especially big and tough goblins; the melee goblins on the flanks; the elite goblins will be entrusted with leading separate formations and be on the front lines with their troops; the ranged troops will be in the front at first and shift behind the melee line in case the adventurers charge; the slimes will be present in a support/communication capacity to let us know if the situation is getting out of control.
Their job is to literally stand there and look as menacing as they possibly can, we can use minor illusory tricks to help them with that.

Erdrick rolls up in the center, disguised as the Dark Lord, and uses his genre-breaking awareness and bullshit mastery to lure the adventurers into the fortress. If the prince rides out and tries to play hero, rough him up a bit and let Aria save him. If he doesn't, no problem, we'll catch up with him in the fortress.
If the expedition actually looks like it might call our bluff and charge, we break out the lightning dragon.

Rin will be on damage control for the moment. If any of the separate troops actually get engaged and we can't make it, her job is to make sure that there is a sudden outbreak of decapitation.

I don't know what I want for a disguise exactly, but I do know I'm not going for something so dull as a giant dong. We have carte blanche to make our rival look stupid, people, let's go wild!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I find Plan Hollywood acceptable.

As for our goofy disguise, let's go for this outfit:

nagash%2B%281%29.jpg

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I have a problem with plan Hollywood. It puts our goblins in harms way. They are there for all to see and I don't think the adventurers will forget about them. Even if we let them defeat Erd (or whoever is the final boss of the castle), the adventurers will still know that there are goblins there. Maybe they will be used for training kills like the slimes but nevertheless they will be targeted at some point. Unless we let them be killed, which is unacceptable for me just for the sake of show.

I fail to see why we have to bring our minions to their camp.

Nevill

Arcane
But goblins are (were) the servants of the Minotaur Firelord. I thought it was common knowledge. Barzamites have captured and killed some goblins in the ruins, and they never raised an eyebrow. Erise talks about the goblins openly. The only reason why they aren't extinct is because they are minions of someone much more powerful that the powers that be are unwilling to disturb for the sake of a few monster kills.

It is not known that they serve the new Overlord... but weren't we thinking of using Rinotaur in some way or the other?

If anything, it might have negative connotations for the Erise/goblin alliance, but we have kind of given up on that, as I see no interest in utilizing Erise in any way anymore.

Baltika9

Arcane
Huge fuck-off tornados? Rin the Lumberjack, whose main job is damage control? Proper planning and supervision?
We're not planning on a Total War-esque map, with topography and unit cards available, nor do we need to. I'm relying on Erd having enough savvy to not burn his own home down, but then again I hope that the expedition isn't parked right next to the village.
I have a problem with plan Hollywood. It puts our goblins in harms way. They are there for all to see and I don't think the adventurers will forget about them. Even if we let them defeat Erd (or whoever is the final boss of the castle), the adventurers will still know that there are goblins there. Maybe they will be used for training kills like the slimes but nevertheless they will be targeted at some point. Unless we let them be killed, which is unacceptable for me just for the sake of show.

I fail to see why we have to bring our minions to their camp.
Goblin presence in the area is common knowledge, and in case the adventurers actually do attack, the plan has controls in place: the center will be held by disguised golems, Rin is on damage control, as previously mentioned, and the slimes are with the separate groups to keep Erd appraised of the situation.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
But if we let them defeat the new overlord, then what is stopping them hunting out the goblins hiding in the forest? Maybe the adventurers would get bored eventually but why chance it when the goblins don't contribute much to our fighting force?

Baltika9

Arcane
That's something we plan for when we lure them into the castle. The point of Plan Hollywood is not to fight the expedition directly, but to lure them into the castle.
One idea I have is that once the expedition gets what it wants and defeats us, all of our school minions will dramatically disappear upon our death. But, again, that's something that has to wait until they've been lured into our castle.

Nevill

Arcane
As far as my own idea went, I was only planning to allow them to escape with the trinket and some of their lives as the castle collapses around them. No mention of whether or not they would manage to dispose of the new overlord (remember, we took the role of Dark Lord who is very much alive and does not follow our script, we can't 'kill' him off permanently).

Adventurers do not really fancy going in the Forest of Ruin because of how dangerous it is, and we intend to keep it that way.

A chainaxe, perhaps?
Now you are just re-enacting our rocket chainsaw discuss from Prisoner of Life. :rpgcodex:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Plan golemnado - First we hit the camp with lightning storm and icicle storm. Then we load a tornado full of golems. We run it through their camp and while they are distracted with constructs raining from the sky we swoop in with Rin and capture the prince.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, why are we discussing a serious raid on these people? As much as I want to relocate eastwards, our base is here, along with some actually important ruins, so we need to keep Erise an obscure, Podunk village. If we actually show them that there is a serious threat around here, they'll just leave and come back with more people to deal with the threat decisively. The whole point of the castle was to lure the adventurers in, play mind games to make them think they've won and then have them leave, never to come back again.

Erd has an advantage in overwhelming application of brutal magic, I suggest that we use it to thin the numbers while the element of surprise is on our side. Erd's a smart guy and all, but mind-gaming over seventy seasoned knights, adventurers and mages as well as their extensive back-up is not something I'd like to try while knowing nearly nothing about what we've set up in the castle. What I do know is that two heads are smarter than one, so bashing in one of those leads to a duller enemy. The less critical eyes and minds on our hastily-constructed castle and its contents, the better, and it's especially nice if the ones that are there are more occupied with the fear, anxiety, anger and other strong emotions that would come from so many comrades being torched.

I don't think that it comes off well if we have a theatrical showing. A clearly powerful dark lord approaches the camp with a massed horde of tough goblins, sets fire to the camp and... retreats to their fortifications without a fight, daring them to approach? That doesn't make tactical sense unless they are being led into a trap or ambush of some sort. I grant that they'd be likely to follow, we're liable to end up at a conflict there one way or another, but the circumstances would I think encourage them to be much more alert and suspicious. That doesn't bode well if they see stuff that doesn't add up with whatever scheme Erd has cooked up. If we've launched a real raid, taken real injuries and deaths and only then fall back in an attempt to reach our fortifications when the full force of adventurers come out, it's a good deal more convincing and they're less likely to question what's going on.

Just as a general matter, I also don't think it's wise to have over fifty adventurers crawling around and sticking their noses where they don't belong, especially given how experienced and competent many of them appear to be. I'm not eager to see if they have more strange abilities that trump matches that should be ours, and the best way to ensure that we don't see those abilities is to nuke a good fraction of them in their sleep before any of them have realized that there may be something worse in this forest than the Minotaur Firelord and started to prepare themselves. Projecting ourselves as a menacing threat with tough minions and flexing muscles before retreating puts them on guard without actually doing any damage, ensuring that our foe will be at their strongest possible

I furthermore disagree with the fundamental assumption of your argument that they'll just leave us alone when we're done trolling them in the castle. Let's leave aside the rich leyline concentration and strategic nature of the woods that serve as a continuing justification for them to look into the forest. The following is outright stated at the end of A Council of Nobles:
If Duke Hargreave Brescia was to successfully crown Feist Yuiry as king before the year is out, he had to find what he was looking for in those ruins.

There is something in the ruins, something known to at least the Barzamites as well as Duke Brescia that is of extreme value to both of those parties. We don't know what it is, but we certainly don't seem to have it-- at least, it's not something that we're willingly parting with even if we do. If we're not going to be able to give it away, the adventurers can strain all they want to vanquish the foul dark lord of the castle and they won't come up with the real objective behind the expedition. Even worse, it'll at least look like the evil making the forest hostile to humanity had been in part overcome. With the supposed Dark Lord vanquished, there's no reason for fabulously wealthy Duke Brescia not to either keep funding this expedition or send more of them until he finds what he's looking for. Will you keep resurrecting the Dark Dong to deal with them? The discovery is going to happen sooner or later.

I say that the expedition ought to be slain to a man or imprisoned as necessary (I'd rather like to keep a flash-frozen Elmont around for some reason, and Aria can have that squire to bully), so that the entire thing is just a big question mark. What happened, why is there no contact? They'll need to investigate eventually, but with the tensions of war looming how much can they truly afford to spare from their other borders? Considering the amount of time it would take to whip up a yet grander expedition, the formidable defenses that are already in place capable of tanking a direct Gigadyne hit or disguising the whole village, the rate of replication of the golems and Zayan's dizzying pace of improvement for it all, I am fairly certain that we ought to be yet more secure the next time around.

That, and it's foolish to attack a fortified enemy position with inferior troops, when we can literally Gigadyne the whole place out of existence from the comfort of our base.

That's certainly an option, I mentioned as much in my earlier post and I wouldn't be averse to it. That said, while we would certainly lose goblins in the attack the survivors would be much more capable as commanders and the benefits we could rake in through ranking up the slimes ASAP are tremendous. It's up to you whether you think that getting closer to having a number of slime queens is better or worse than approaching a level-up with Erd, I could essentially go either way but I figure that the sooner we don't have to worry as much about the safety of the slimes the better it'll be.

Plan golemnado - First we hit the camp with lightning storm and icicle storm. Then we load a tornado full of golems. We run it through their camp and while they are distracted with constructs raining from the sky we swoop in with Rin and capture the prince.
It just strikes me as a bit of a waste of golems. The golems aren't well-drilled airborne units, we'll likely be breaking them up in the process and they'll only be able to flail around a bit at random enemies they fall near. Definitely any that they fall on don't have a good time, but it seems that even if this worked ideally we'd be doing as much damage to our own units as we are to the enemy and then we end up with disorganized, inexperienced golems totally surrounded in an enemy camp with no means by which they may be extracted. I appreciate the aggression, but I don't see why we couldn't just replace the golems with more thunderbolts and only eat more into Erd's stupidly vast mana rather than the minions made with precious, precious magnatite.

Nevill

Arcane
A clearly powerful dark lord approaches the camp with a massed horde of tough goblins, sets fire to the camp and... retreats to their fortifications without a fight, daring them to approach? That doesn't make tactical sense unless they are being led into a trap or ambush of some sort.
Nothing a Typical Overlord does makes tactical sense. Or just sense. Killing his trusted lieutenants because his plans were foiled by heroes? Mindless application of violence that steels the resolve of survivors and leads to them waging guerilla wars? Telling the heroes of his plans in great detail before killing them? The constant 'NEXT TIME I WILL DESTROY YOU FOR SURE'?

To talk about BG, remember Sarevok who was aiming after a protagonist, but spent his time and minions duking it out with Gorion to show just how evil he is?

It does not make sense - but they all do it anyway. TRADITION demands it. So who are we to break it when it comes to appearances? If anything, it shows them that they can win this easily, because GOOD ALWAYS TRIUMPHS OVER FOUL EVIL. It's a shame we are less traditional about that. :M

I furthermore disagree with the fundamental assumption of your argument that they'll just leave us alone when we're done trolling them in the castle.
It costs a lot to mount an expedition like this, which is why this is the first attempt in decades. If the expedition is a net flop - which is what we intend it to be - how do you estimate the chances of them sending another one?

They did not dare to venture in the Forest of Ruin before without a massive force. After they become the laughingstock of the whole kingdom, or dead meat, how many would volunteer?

With the supposed Dark Lord vanquished, there's no reason for fabulously wealthy Duke Brescia not to either keep funding this expedition or send more of them until he finds what he's looking for.
The stated goal is to bankrupt Brescia, making him look like a fool and the expedition a waste of time and money, because it does not produce the results they expect. They will find something alright, and it'll be a complete dud, a dead end.

That said, while we would certainly lose goblins in the attack the survivors would be much more capable as commandersand the benefits we could rake in through ranking up the slimes ASAP are tremendous.
Who are they going to command? And how does surviving being thrown in a pointless slaughterhouse with no chance at winning makes one a better commander?

Leveling up slimes has nothing to do with mass sacrifice of other minions. If you want to help them, separate the adventures in the castle and find them good 1v1 matches. They would have a better survival chance.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Looks like the Carnage Pigeon train is back.

Oh fine. I will throw my official support behind Plan Hollywood. There is plenty of carnage to be had in the castle, no need to blow our wad faster than a virgin at a hooker convention. Patience and kunning-planning win wars.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Just as a general matter, I also don't think it's wise to have over fifty adventurers crawling around and sticking their noses where they don't belong, especially given how experienced and competent many of them appear to be. I'm not eager to see if they have more strange abilities that trump matches that should be ours, and the best way to ensure that we don't see those abilities is to nuke a good fraction of them in their sleep before any of them have realized that there may be something worse in this forest than the Minotaur Firelord and started to prepare themselves. Projecting ourselves as a menacing threat with tough minions and flexing muscles before retreating puts them on guard without actually doing any damage, ensuring that our foe will be at their strongest possible
I can respect that.
I say that the expedition ought to be slain to a man or imprisoned as necessary (I'd rather like to keep a flash-frozen Elmont around for some reason, and Aria can have that squire to bully), so that the entire thing is just a big question mark. What happened, why is there no contact? They'll need to investigate eventually, but with the tensions of war looming how much can they truly afford to spare from their other borders? Considering the amount of time it would take to whip up a yet grander expedition, the formidable defenses that are already in place capable of tanking a direct Gigadyne hit or disguising the whole village, the rate of replication of the golems and Zayan's dizzying pace of improvement for it all, I am fairly certain that we ought to be yet more secure the next time around.
Except when Feist's heir, the son on whom he pins all of his dynastic hopes, goes missing along with their experienced adventurers and knights from both orders, that's something that will immediately raise alarms in the capital. From the crown prince, especially.
No, the boy can't die or get captured here, that is the absolute worst thing we can do if we want maintain our cover. I understand where you are coming from with your misgivings about the theatrical show (they might not buy the TRADITIONAL schtick, but I'll bet they will venture into the castle anyway; if we play our cards right, we might even be able to fish out what it is they're looking for and make a fake), but I can't agree with you on the extermination part of the plan.
Looks like the Carnage Pigeon train is back.
Well...
15201.jpg

Kipeci has been very open and consistent with his position, so you can't say this is coming out of nowhere.

Nevill

Arcane
Except when Feist's heir, the son on whom he pins all of his dynastic hopes, goes missing along with their experienced adventurers and knights from both orders, that's something that will immediately raise alarms in the capital.
Well, it's too early to pin hopes on a 15 year old when you only become King at the age of 34. Feist can always try and conceive another princeling. Going by the size of his family, it would not be out of place.

The boy could very well die or get missing - what is there to do if the castle collapses on top of him? It is a sad, sad thing. Another victim of the ambitions of his father. *sob*

There is nothing they can do about it, though. If we capture him, they would be obligated to send a force to free him - to uphold the honor of the Royal family. If he dies and the place where he did is no more? All there is left is to hold a funeral.

Just want to keep our options open in regards to the boy.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Perhaps, but that depends entirely on how much influence Feist has in the court. Young or not, the crown prince does have high hopes for his son:
“To ensure that no one can take this credit away from you fine gentlemen,” Feist spoke up, “I will be sending my son along on the expedition.”

The duke’s face froze up. “Your Highness, you mean to say…”

“Yes,” nodded Feist. “Feyton will lead the expedition. All credit will be his, and by virtue of his blood, mine. And my credit, of course, is your credit, loyal nobles of mine.”

Hargreave’s bejeweled fingers tightened their grip on his chair subtly. He knew Feist – he had known him since he was a little princeling playing in his gardens – and knew that his ambition stretched to cover his child’s future. “Is it not too dangerous, Your Highness?”
I;m sure that he'll at the very least send out a search party to find out his son's fate. But, again, that is a discussion for when we're actually in possession of the kid.

Nevill

Arcane
I;m sure that he'll at the very least send out a search party to find out his son's fate.
If there would be no witnesses to him being buried under 100 tons of rock. Which I hope there would be, seeing how I intend to leave some adventurers alive.

Edit:
rating_agenda.png
or :M, which is better and why?

Edit2: give me my Agenda back!! :argh:

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I vote for

hollywood_hogan_hulk-fp-fa1d38a1d63e970f6b8edf61e30691be.jpg

This will double as our disguise as well. Good to see we're embracing a heel persona.

lightbane

Arcane
Why not go with the classic and fashionable? I mean, something like this:

skeletor.0.0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom