Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hm, I'm curious about the lack of faith in Shinoseki's physical ability even after eventually choosing to be good at everything in the initial nights. Is it because he comes off as not very confident in himself most, if not all of the time?
It is about the Codex going for the easiest solution available. :WQS:

So, let's see. We have Yukina dead in her hut, maid bleeding out upstairs, and a bruised and battered corpse of the house owner that looks like he got under a bulldozer. We have let malice of the dead in and now a voice is compulsing us to finish the job, with no choice to opt out.
The man's gaze snaps towards her. "Job, finish the job," he chants. His pupils bounce around madly, like little rubber balls. From them, a creeping darkness begins to slowly unfurl, as if flowing forth from the two bottomless pits that are his eyes.
And the option to not allow any more deaths tonight has lost. How probable is that this ends with 'happily ever after'? :roll:

So, what is next on the list, skinning Maeda? How many steps are already completed?

Hope you guys enjoy murdering helpless and broken men. #LetsKillThemForShun :salute:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
We have Yukina dead in her hut
Baseless assumption.
We have let malice of the dead in and now a voice is compulsing us to finish the job, with no choice to opt out.
It's DEMONZ all over again.
If the malice can't be opposed how we are supposed to deal with people possessed by it?
And the option to oppose any more deaths tonight has lost.
Letting the guy kill us or someone else doesn't count as avoiding more deaths.
Hope you guys enjoy murdering helpless and broken men.
We had no assurance that we could subdue him, maybe we are mopping the floor with him because we are going all out.

Nevill

Arcane
Baseless assumption.
Well, the choice was between her and Maeda. If we didn't go to Nami, Nami would have died or disappeared. If we didn't stay with Yukina, I do not expect everything to be well upon our return - that is, if we do return.

Besides, the narrative conventions demand that the only person who believes in us and is kind to us dies a slow and painful death. :M

It's DEMONZ all over again.
I am dramatizing a bit, of course.

But why is there no option to turn away? We have let the feeling of killing take over us, and it did not let go. That's a bit more tangible than the DEMONZ who never truly affected our decisions.

We had no assurance that we could subdue him, maybe we are mopping the floor with him because we are going all out.
True. We killed him effortlessly because we 'sold our soul to the devil'. There was no guarantee otherwise. I understand that.

But I retain the right not to like it and not to resort to it.

Let' see what the dice says:
Encouraging. :salute:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
By the way, according to my theory the Maiden in this era is Ei, so it's her who controls the malice, this would mean that we have been 'possessed' all along.
treave can we ask Ei what we should do?

Nevill

Arcane
By the way, according to my theory the Maiden in this era is Ei, so it's her who controls the malice, this would mean that we have been 'possessed' all along.
Our Ei is not of this world or this era. Like Maeda, who might to be able to see her precicely because of this.

Besides, it's a test. Ei is not supposed to tell us that which we should decide for ourselves.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ei is not supposed to tell us that which we should decide for ourselves.
Mine is a test too, maybe she will just giggle or say "Finish the job Acchan." with a wicked smile, what I want to determine is if she is just fooling around as usual or maybe we will have the proof that she is the one behind all this.
It will be hilarious, not really, that sending her after Maeda for protection instead created this situation.

Nevill

Arcane
I want to determine is if she is just fooling around as usual or maybe we have the proof that she is the one behind all this.
I am convinced behind any doubt that she isn't. But I probably won't be able to explain it in logical terms.

Kz3r0 said:
Everything will end well no matter what.
Wait, did you mean this?
“Where the land of the living and the dead meet… at the precipice of the Abyss. Perhaps there you might see your daughter again, Inspector Mori. Worry not. Everything will be alright.”
:M

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yet someone should have released the Malice, until now the Malice has been released by rituals or coming in contact with an angry ghost, we have no reason to think that any ritual was performed here, and the only ghost we saw was of the inoffensive variety, we know that such ghosts can be 'daerkened' by revealing them their condition, again of what we know two of three conditions needs a direct intervention, and if Ei is the current Maiden she also has direct control over the Malice.

Nevill

Arcane
Yet someone should have released the Malice, until now the Malice has been released by rituals or coming in contact with an angry ghost, we have no reason to think that any ritual was performed here
:roll:

What about the Sakaguchi Kuroki? What about his surviving daugher fleeing the place?

It is possible the malice never left, just as it never left Kaimei or Ikei where they found a dismemberered girl now and again.

It is also possible that this reality was never normal, instead it was fashioned for us specifically, and is now reacting to our arrival.

Ei is the current Maiden she also has direct control over the Malice.
Why do we think that being the maiden has anything to do with controlling anything? We don't even know who the maidens and witches are.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why do we think that being the maiden has anything to do with controlling anything? We don't even know who the maidens and witches are.
I am speculating, besides I was right that Ei is the Baron daughter.:M

Nevill

Arcane
I am speculating, besides I was right that Ei is the Baron daughter.:M
Unconfirmed yet. Eina was the Baron's daughter. :M

Ei might be a collection of entities. Just like Shinoseki. Hmm, would we make a good book, I wonder?

Nevill

Arcane
How many parrots the thread needs to accumulate to reach critical mass? :M

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJHAhhahHAHHAHHHahahHHA!

Ahem... :M

Kayerts

Arcane
Hm, I'm curious about the lack of faith in Shinoseki's physical ability even after eventually choosing to be good at everything in the initial nights. Is it because he comes off as not very confident in himself most, if not all of the time?
It is about the Codex going for the easiest solution available. :WQS:

My guess is that everyone has PTSD from the last time we tried to run past a superior opponent (superior skill then, superior weaponry now) and would be hugely embarrassed to have voted for the second stupid death it caused. "Of course he killed us! We're NAKED and he has a SWORD!", etc.

Nevill

Arcane
My guess is that everyone has PTSD from the last time we tried to run past a superior opponent (superior skill then, superior weaponry now) and would be hugely embarrassed to have voted for the second stupid death it caused.
Well, the CYOAs have scaled to our level since then, and such options have these huge WARNING signs nowadays. :roll:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guys, it's easy, the choice was:
Let the maid die and possibly endanger Maeda, and considering that Nevill has gone full meta on us we would have died in the ensuing fire hopelessy barricaded in a room.
Confront an armed opponent while naked trying to be nice, and our previous experience with 'darkened' people is that they are hopeless or we have to lose a limb to break the grip of the malice on them.
Killing him was the most logical course of action, if defending us and others make us fall prey of the malice fuck that, it only means that we have only lose options.

Nevill

Arcane
Confront an armed opponent while naked trying to be nice, and our previous experience with 'darkened' people is that they are hopeless or we have to lose a limb to break the grip of the malice on them.
It is less about being nice to them and more about not succumbing to the madness of the place. We would not have broken him from the malice - that was never the point - but did we really need to, if we were going to restrain him?

It was the same with Kayano - we have potentially made our life harder by preserving the life of an enemy, and yet I think that action had its purpose (besides the obvious one) - it might have become important for our interaction with the Nurse later on. We lost some, we gained some.

Was killing Kayano the most logical course of action, too? (Shush, Lambchop! :P)

An action has benefits and drawbacks. To say that every action only consists of losing options because of the latter is disingenious.

The benefits of the action we took are obvious - we are in one piece and there is no longer a looming threat of physical violence over our head. The effect of drawbacks is harder to predict, and that worries me. Besides, staying in one piece never was a priority for our character, so I feel a bit betrayed by this turn of events.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It was the same with Kayano - we have potentially made our life harder by preserving the life of an enemy, and yet I think that action had its purpose (besides the obvious one)
Our life and the life of others wasn't in direct danger, also not strenghtening Seiji control over us was also a priority, apples and oranges, really.
And the whole point is that restraining an armed madman is the most dangerous thing in the world, in real life usually takes three trained persons to restrain junkies or crazies, even so they eventually dislocate their joints or break some bone due to how violently they move and due to the altered pain perception.
If Shinoseki can safely restrain someone possessed by the malice we are in full Anime territory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom