Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Kz3r0

Arcane
At least Baltika is honest about what he chooses and does not dress it up.
I am alwaays honest, I can be wrong of course, but I am always honest, I am choosing C not because of Lulz or desperately clinging to some faint hope, I really think that is the only course of action we have at the moment, it can turn out horribly, but I prefer to face the consequences of horrible choices than setting for what we know is a fake ending.
I don't want to give up yet. I don't even know if I won't cling to saving someone if it turns out Maeda is dead.
Choossing A or B is giving up.
And Maeda has become the Maiden, we saw her with Maeda's face not only because is what motivates us, in the meta update was mentioned that wasn't possible to find trace of her in the burned mansion, you reiterated your usual position that this is all a simulation forgetting that is a charactheristic of the ritual for one person to completely disappear, this is what happened, she was turned into the maiden.
Oh, and one last thing. We are not Seiji. In the end it looks like Seiji is just another tool for the ancient forces, just more ambitious than most.
We are the tool of 'ancient' forces, Baron/Fox Guy that you trust so much.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing that has always been real was the ritual started by Seiji at Ikei, and the twelve persons involved, the only living people all the others are already dead or illusions.
True, though I would go light on the illusion part. Ei is not an illusion, and neither is the Fox Guy. They affect us, we affect the world, ergo they are real in any meaningful sense of the word.

What does it matter if people are alive or dead if we are in a setting where dead can affect the living and do so on a regular basis? Is it not just another state of being, then? Granted, it is an inferior state.

If we reach the point where all of the twelve are dead, and irreversibly so, does it mean that there is nothing left than we can do? (well, other than kill some more people, of course :M)

Nevill

Arcane
I am choosing C not because of Lulz or desperately clinging to some faint hope, I really think that is the only course of action we have at the moment, it can turn out horribly, but I prefer to face the consequences of horrible choices than setting for what we know is a fake ending.
It is not that it can turn out horribly. It is deliberately choosing that path on account that 'nothing is real, their suffering is not real'. That's a sane attitude alright.

If anyone of the twelve is still 'alive', it does not matter, because they do not exist in the 'real' world, the one that agrees with the definition of 'real' in our head. They shall burn so that we would be liberated.

It is also a complete 180 from us treating the world as real and rushing to save Maeda despite Ei claiming that everything was fake. It is a move of a madman who can't accept the consequences of his actions. It ends up being a bigger delusion than the one he tries to tear down.

Baltika has the gist of it, it is a full-blown :prosper:.

Choossing A or B is giving up.
War is peace. Slavery is freedom. :salute:

you reiterated your usual position that this is all a simulation
Did I? I never treated it as such. Or perhaps I do not see a 'simulation' as inherently inferior to the 'reality'.

a charactheristic of the ritual for one person to completely disappear, this is what happened, she was turned into the maiden.
Yes. It is likely. But I need to see it. And then we need to decide what to do with it.

We are the tool of 'ancient' forces, Baron/Fox Guy that you trust so much.
That is what I think as well. But the accents are different. 'Seiji' was born human and became a tool, we were born a tool and chose to become more human. In a way, we are a complete opposite.

Or maybe we are 'opposite' in a sense that the Witch and the Maiden are. I wonder if he didn't do the same:
I laugh helplessly at my own stupidity and hypocrisy. Yes, that is right. I can only do my best tonight. I must be sure that, even if all else fails, she remains safe. At all costs.
Hm, if we were called a witch, does it make 'Seiji' the Maiden? :roll:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
It is deliberately choosing that path on account that 'nothing is real, their suffering is not real'.
Nope, is chhosing to go beyond this facade, besides you should complain more with who voted DEVOUR SOUL!!!
'Killing' dead people only means that they will return anew forgetting that they are dead as seems the case here.

Baltika9

Arcane
Are souls real, though?
Jokes aside for a moment, I honestly don't even. This whole scenario is pretty confusing: we have all these references and links to occultism, and yet every single riddle and every single situation we've encountered up to this point has had a logical and rational solution.
And yet, this apparently stretches back to way before the supercomputers which run these simulations were invented.
So what the fuck is going on here?

Nevill

Arcane
besides you should complain more with who voted DEVOUR SOUL!!!
I am not complaining about anyone in particular. I am simply bitter that we can't achieve anything of worth, and the very definition of achievement has now downscaled to 'tearing the world down'.

Nope, is choosing to go beyond this facade
What if it is not a facade?

We had this arguement with Lambchop, where he suggested ignoring people so that we could find a 'real' salvation. Mitsuki is dead as a result of this attitude.

'Killing' dead people only means that they will return anew forgetting that they are dead as seems the case here.
Except for the ones that have their souls devoured, or haunt the hospital halls, or kidnap people on the streets, or end up in the Abyss.

Do not presume to know how the underworld works. It became twisted, and hacking at it with a machete might not be the best of solutions.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Are souls real, though?
They are scientifically researched and exploited. They call it 'brain patterns' or something, but these are souls by any other name.

Any hack like Taketatsu can have a pet soul in a jar if he so desires. *

How do you twist the definition of reality to not accept that fact?

*Remind me to add burning down Ikei and IAE to our goal list when/if we get out.

Kz3r0

Arcane
All right here is my theory of what happened until now, don't worry, it is not very long:
Baron Sakaguchi performs his own version of the ritual and becomes the new guardian spirit, Fox Guy, EIna becomes the new Maiden.

Fast forward, Juuzo&Seiji perform a new ritual while using a Quantum Simulation, Fox Guy is sidelined, Eina is replaced by Seika.

Something happens, Juuzo decides to perform the ritual again and replace Seika with Mitsuki.
Seiji hijack the ritual/simulation and becomes the focal point of the whole affair.
Fox Guy hijack Seiji himself, being possessed by the dead seems to be a normal occurence for whom starts the ritual, here we enter the picture by possessing Seiji's body.

Fast forward to now, Fox Guy send us and Maeda to spectral Yomiki village, situated outside of the bubble of the simulation.
He does something simila to what Juuzo did by enering the Quanrum Simulation and taking Mitsuki, in this case it's us who took Maeda out of the simulation/spectral world, unfortunately Maeda decides to jump from the roof of the hospital and is 'captured' by Fox Guy.

Now, to insediate a new Maiden is possible only through the ritual and can only be made by the person who initiated the ritual, Seiji/us, and said maiden can only be chosen among the twelve parteciparing in the ritual.
At this point Fox Guy has both the key to the current ritual, us, and a Maiden, Maeda.
Yukina, an agent of Fox Guy, probably the Maid, separates us from Maeda, something happen in the mansion, I suspect is the doing of EIna, Maeda is turned into the new Maiden and we get possessed by the malice.

The Ritual time approaches the end, at this point we have the choice between two fake endings and a gruesome real one.

What I expect by voting C, that we manage to put an end to all this and to free the trapped souls, dead people stays dead, if someone of the twelve is dead in the real/material world can't be saved.
Or we take the place of Fox Guy as the new Guardian Spirit of the Juunimon Tree.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Do not presume to know how the underworld works. It became twisted, and hacking at it with a machete might not be the best of solutions.
In this case you should vote B, is the most akin to 'reality', the ritual ended some people survived some other died, nothing can be done about it.

Nevill

Arcane
The Ritual time approaches the end, at this point we have the choice between two fake endings and a gruesome real one.
They don't become fake because you want them to.

They aren't even endings. We get back into the world to learn how badly we screwed up and if there is anything that can be done to fix it.

That you don't see it as something worth fixing does not make it the one and only truth.

In this case you should vote B, is the most akin to 'reality', the ritual ended some people survived some other died, nothing can be done about it.
Neither of the 3 is 'our reality'. Sawada is dead like all others.

We are not anywhere close to the ending... well, to a 'true' one, at least. We can always have an ending by jumping the rift.

Baltika9

Arcane
Here's the most confusing part, though: how does a computer overwrite reality and interact with the world of the dead?

Nevill

Arcane
Here's the most confusing part, though: how does a computer overwrite reality and interact with the world of the dead?
It's fiction 101, brah. Say the magic word 'quantum' and reality becomes your bitch.

Allow the existence of parallel worlds (of the living/dead), allow the existence of a bridge, and you'll see all kinds of stuff happen.

As to how it can interact - well, in the same way all mediums interacted with the netherworld when computers weren't available. Plus a bit of technobabble.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's the othe way around, the Simulation was used to encroach on the realm of the dead, Seiji who was responsible for this decided to make the world of the dead to encroach into the realm of the simulation.
In my opinion we started in the simulation, that was slowly taken other by the ghosts, this is what the statics were, interferences into the simulation, and with more time passing reality/material world started to superimpose itself on both the Simulation and the spectral world.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Except for the ones that have their souls devoured,
Hence my reference to DEVOUR SOUL!!!
Do you still think that Ei is such a nice girl?
We had this arguement with Lambchop, where he suggested ignoring people so that we could find a 'real' salvation. Mitsuki is dead as a result of this attitude.
That's not my argument, my argument is that we can only save who is still alive of the twelve, with dead people we can try to give them peace or send them to the Shinto paradise, problem is that we have no idea how to do that.

Nevill

Arcane
Do you still think that Ei is such a nice girl?
She does what she is told to do. No more, no less. And sometimes she helps us just because.

She is insane, but that's not a sin. :M

my argument is that we can only save who is still alive of the twelve
And my argument is that careless actions towards the world of the dead make this number go down. As we are about to see with Maeda.

with dead people we can try to give them peace or send them to the Shinto paradise, problem is that we have no idea how to do that.
But you can't give them peace if you don't see them as 'real'. And you are unlikely to learn anything from your mistakes if they aren't 'really' mistakes.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
As we are about to see with Maeda.
I have news for you, with both A and B Maeda will be the new Maiden of Fox Guy who retook control over the Juunimon Tree.
C can or cannot doom Maeda.

Nevill

Arcane
C can or cannot doom Maeda.
Don't kid yourself.

If Maeda's fate is an objective reality, our tantrum does not make it any less so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom