Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It just won't work very well for a longer story with a large scope, and you'd be better off joining a P&P game.
Few people are willing to play P&P games over an internet forum. This format makes our CYOAs a bit of a different experience, even though they are similar in nature.

Large world probably won't do because the teams might not interact and you risk running two separate CYOAs in one, but that might be addressed with a stricter narrative that makes them pursue the same goal.

What do you see as largest hurdles? Well, besises the Dex' barely hidden desire to screw the other guy over. :lol:

I'm flattered, but Esquilax would be my Smooth Buddy for this.
I CLAIMED HIM FIRST!!! :argh:

Seriously, though, I think teams should be random to prevent cliques and promote fair-ish play.
That might be a problem. A group of buddies can take over a team and outvote the rest who might not agree with their reasons. The more voters there are, the less it matters.

Then again, a well-adjusted team of friends is much more consistent with their decisions and less prone to butthurt, so... :roll:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What do you see as largest hurdles? Well, besises the 'Dex barely hidden desire to screw the other guy over. :lol:

For a longer story? Probably writing simultaneous, parallel yet intersecting plot threads for up to a year. Planning it is fine, but having to write it out may be more tedious.

Well, if you guys really want to test how a multiplayer CYOA would work, I could play along for a month or two, while putting some more planning into the lengthier project in the meantime. For example, you guys could call dibs on the following characters right now, though there should be at least one voter for each character initially:

Aaron
NEET
Nevill

Benton
Gang-banger
Baltika9

Caitlyn
Liberal arts student
Esquilax

Donna
Fitness trainer
Cassidy

Edgar
Homeless man
a bear named spigot

Francesca
Vegan shop owner
Grimgravy

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Caitlyn. A young, naive college student with no prospects thanks to a shitty degree - why, it feels like I've known Caitlyn all my life!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The new thread will go live when all the slots are filled up.

Taking suggestions for titles.

edit: also reworked Donna's job.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It begins with music. Edvard Grieg’s Morning Mood, the perfect piece to start a wonderful and productive day. One by one, the people in the room stir. They come to, being greeted by the peaceful fluting piped in through rusty speakers hanging from the corners of the concrete walls.

First there is confusion. “Where am I? What is going on? Who are you?” These are the questions that they ask.

Then, there is fear. “Where am I!? What is going on!? Who are you!?” When they get no concrete answers as to their predicament, and they find that the only doors leading out of the room are firmly shut, the questions are asked again, more stridently this time.

And later on, there will be the call for calm, and for proper, polite introductions. People are predictable this way.

“Hi. I’m… uh… Aaron. I’m 22, and, uh, yeah. I’m kinda, like, finding myself at the moment… so… yeah...”

“You can call me Benton. I’m an OG businessman, you dig?”

“Hi! Caitlyn here… I’m 23 and I’m doing a course on the philosophical art of humanistic gendered theology. It’s nice to meet you all!”

“I’m Donna. I’m a fitness trainer. That's all.”

“E’gar.”

“Hello, I’m Francesca, and I’m the proprietor of the Jesus Saves Fiber-Rich Vegan Au Naturel Christian Green Food Grocer Mart. I’m not sure if anyone of you have heard of us, but we have a very thriving Facebook and Twitter presence, and are at the forefront of organic foods in town…”

“They just fucking with us, man. I ain’t gonna have none of this shit, sitting around here with you guys like we’re cool or anything.” Benton is the first to stand up and kick at the locked doors in his frustration. As always, in any group of people you have the impatient and the ones quick to resort to physical force.

Bunch of dumb motherfuckers.

Everyone hears it. Benton knows it, too. That his thoughts are, somehow, being broadcasted to the others…

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, it's the

5. Multiplayer:
This idea reverses the Tower concept and places pre-created characters in the hands of multiple players. The characters have been kidnapped and wake up amnesiac in a deserted experimental facility, and have to work together to escape. They find that they have been implanted with some form of technology that allows them uncontrolled telepathy, meaning that whatever they think will be broadcasted to each other. This means choices for each of the characters will all be public, as are the discussions leading up to it. As a group sometimes they will be required to make a single choice together, at other times each will be given separate choices on how to react to a situation, depending on the character they have.

concept. They're not in a tower, it's an island of some sort.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, but that's based on a Tower concept, no?

Edit: ah, I misremembered that, it seems. :oops:

“Hello, I’m Francesca, and I’m the proprietor of the Jesus Saves Fiber-Rich Vegan Au Naturel Food Grocer Mart. I’m not sure if anyone of you have heard of us, but we have a very thriving Facebook and Twitter presence, and are at the forefront of organic foods in town…”
I nominate Lambchop19. :lol::lol::lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm loving my dude already. treave, will the players get the background of their characters once the thing kicks off?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's not really much relevant background biography to speak of, but I'll add a few more lines later.

Baltika9

Arcane
So we need people for the fitness trainer and the (admittedly lame) vegan shop owner.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, they're designed to be not very likeable, for the most part. This is going to be a short session after all. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Gotcha. I should play up the OG and Muh Dik angles.
I'm Lamar Davis/Ryder, not CJ.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom