Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
BB

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Trying not to die is pretty hard.

Mortality's a bitch and all that.
It's not that hard as long as you continue to avoid choices like "play bait for the ghost" and "try to run past the ghost blocking the corridor" and "kiss the ghost" and "leave a place with a peaceful atmosphere without taking the chance to rest or explore it" :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, to continue that logic, one should also avoid diving after a drowning comrade and let the director have his way with Mitsuki. They were all dangerous choices to some extent, but it felt that as long as the risk is reasonable (i.e. as long as we did not cover the retreat by bravely staying and fighting the drowned ghost), we would be able to stay alive and improve the situation for the people involved.

Granted, it is a bit naive to try and save people when their death is almost a foregone conclusion, but that is what we aim for by repeating iteration after iteration. We want to save ourselves and maybe some or all of them.

I am not certain how we should have known that our choices would trigger timeskips, or why exploring an unfamiliar place is more important than trying to get to know people that we also know little about. We have made no secret out of the fact that we prefer to interact with (certain) people more than just observe and explore things. So when there was a choice to try and find these people - the people we were separated from against our will in the first place, - we latched on to it.

Are we 'playing it wrong'?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, to continue that logic...

Oh, that's only because I've been pulling the punches since there was so much sulking over falling off the roof. :lol:

As for learning what choices do what, though there's an element of randomness - and of course, not always easy to predict if it's the first time you are encountering the situation - there are also rules hinted at within the text. It should get easier to predict as you progress.

And I never said anything about playing it wrong. I address specific issues. If you're feeling trapped, like a hamster in a wheel, then I give tips on a possible way to make a more concrete advance. If you don't think it's an issue, then that advice doesn't have to apply to you. If you want to achieve a specific outcome, then I might suggest certain voting patterns to follow, but at the same time I'm not saying that's the only right way to vote, because the outcome you want might not be desired by everyone else.

Heck, I even gave two different tips in that post, one of which coincides with your strategy, so I'm entirely unsure why you would think I'm saying there's only one correct way to play. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, that's only because I've been pulling the punches since there was so much sulking over falling off the roof. :lol:
Well... we - alright, I - am constantly testing the waters to see just how much I can get away with in the setting. So we have saved Mitsuki without too much of a risk to ourselves (and knowing the schoolgirls will show up in a minute, that was our safeguard). Good. Then we saved Shiba in a situation that was completely unknown and unpredictabe. I would not have been surprised if we died there (it was either us or Sakimura), but I felt obliged to try. It worked, with a bit of a drawback that I considered a warning. Then we got a chance to save EVERYONE by making a last stand, and it was quite obvious that we were going to die if we did that. Alright. So far, so good, and I thought that maybe this was the right balance between doing the 'right' thing and putting ourselves in danger for nothing. So, naturally, I tried that again - and even thought it was a moderate success (as far as keeping everyone alive for as long as possible goes).

Then it turns our you were just pulling your punches, and I assume that it would well get me killed next time I try it. :?

Not a problem, I guess, and I will adjust, but there was not a lot to go on to come to this conclusion by myself.

Heck, I even gave two different tips in that post, one of which coincides with your strategy, so I'm entirely unsure why you would think I'm saying there's only one correct way to play. :M
Because I am a bit frustrated we have wasted 21 out of 24 hours on... something..? and it sounded to me like you were poking fun at us for playing the way we do. I did not mean to sound harsh, I am trying to present how it looks from the other side. :)

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Then it turns our you were just pulling your punches, and I assume that it would well get me killed next time I try it. :?

Not a problem, I guess, and I will adjust, but there was not a lot to go on to come to this conclusion by myself.

Nah, consider it permanent. I understand it's not much fun not being able to be a hero. :hero:

Because I am a bit frustrated we have wasted 21 out of 24 hours on... something..? and it sounded to me like you were poking fun at us for playing the way we do. I did not mean to sound harsh, I am trying to present how it looks from the other side. :)

There's been some hints in this chapter regarding the backstory. Of course, whether you guys picked up on it yet, or interpreted it correctly, is another thing altogether.

Now, frustration with time-skips and frustration with the memory loss I consider two separate problems, and each problem has their ways of resolution 'in-game', so to speak. It's all part of that feeling of getting toyed with by an unseen entity.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A - 12
B - 2

A - 1
B - 4
C - 6
D - 2
E - 2

I'll close it sometime in the next 12 hours.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Nah, consider it permanent. I understand it's not much fun not being able to be a hero. :hero:
given some of the votes, the codex seems to be more interested in becoming an hero than actually being one.

I had a feeling you might have been taking it easy on us. Would have been a lot more 30 minute chapters by now otherwise...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You stretch forth awkwardly, half-grabbing at Amanozaki’s arm. As expected, she jerks away reflexively and gives you a fierce glare: a surprisingly powerful one that would normally be sufficient to crush your spirits and turn you into a cowering rabbit. The path you have taken and the encounters you have experienced in the past few hours, however, seem to have strengthened you mentally… by just a bit. You cannot help flinching. “What’re you up to?” Amanozaki asks suspiciously.

“I… I know a bit about wounds,” you venture, haltingly. “C-Can I take a look at it?”

“You?” She peers at you from over the top of her thick glasses, clearly not convinced by your sudden claim to possession of medical skills. “You ain’t trying to find an excuse to grope me, are you?”

“What? Of course not!” You blush indignantly, denying her words. Does she really think I’m that perverted? “I’m just… well… never mind.” With a shake of your head, you give up.

Amanozaki sighs. “Aw, come on, stop looking like an abandoned puppy. I’m just warning you, Shinoseki, that part of my life is over and done with. I ain’t gonna sit here and get pawed by you if you get frisky or anything, you hear? Fine, if you think you can do better than this, go ahead. There’s a box over there… some sort of emergency kit. Just… watch your hands.”

“R-Right. Thanks… I mean, will do.” You hurry over to pick up the emergency kit. There are blood stains over the smooth, white metal body – it is probably Amanozaki’s blood. Almost instinctively knowing what to do and what to look out for, you open it up, confirming the contents within, before proceeding to Amanozaki’s side.

She offers her arm to you with an air of impatience. “I hope you know what you are doing.”

You grip your hands tightly and take a deep breath. Your fingers are now steady; firm and responsive to your commands. You deftly undo the hasty bandage Amanozaki had wrapped around the wound. The psychic is quiet and fidgety as you examine her injury. In the dim candle-light, the dried blood appears as a black crust around the wound itself. It looks like the shot had grazed her – it is not deep enough to have penetrated muscle tissue. Still, from the appearance of the opening, you suspect she might not have gotten off as cleanly as she had hoped. While the bullet had skimmed her flesh, the angle of entry suggested that it could have left shards behind.

You would have to check for those before re-bandaging and suturing the wound.

Amanozaki watches on with concern as you place a pencil light behind your spectacles for better visibility… more for the forceps and disinfecting agent you are holding up than the light, you think. “What’s up with that?” she demands.

“This is going to hurt, so please bear with it.”

“That’s a very cliché-“ To her credit, she manages to stifle back a loud scream of pain, biting down on her lip as you splash the disinfectant over her wound.

“P-Please hold still, I can’t do it properly if you are moving about too much,” you say politely, quickly scouring her injury for fragments of the bullet. Your forceps darts in and pinches out the shards that you see, gleaming dully when they catch the light. Every time you enter, Amanozaki lets out a muffled curse and her breathing grows heavier and heavier, until finally she leans over and bites you, screaming into your shoulder.

You let out a yelp of pain, almost screaming together with her, and drop the forceps in shock, together with the shards you had plucked out of her arm. “W-W-What was that for?”

“It… it was fucking painful, you asshole,” she pants, her hair disheveled and her glasses askew. “You actually know jack shit about wounds, right? Are you looking to die?”

As an answer, you timidly shove the metal shards on the ground towards her with the tip of your toe.

She looks down at them and mouths a silent “Oh”.

“Anyway, I need to… well, clean up the wound. It’s not finished yet.” There is still the suturing to come; you hope she responds well to needles.

Amanozaki holds up her good hand, shaking her head. “Give me a second, will you? Man, you really have no bedside manners at all. I reckon whatever you worked on for your medical knowledge, it didn’t so much as complain when you touched it. Like, a corpse, or something.”

You laugh awkwardly. Without your memories, you cannot actually say whether that is true or false.

“That’s right, girls like to be treated more gently,” Amanozaki mutters to herself, so softly that you thought you were hearing things. She does not seem to be addressing you with her remark but some memory of hers. Still, she may be right here. You should try to be softer in your approach to her injury. It would also be a good chance to try and strike up a conversation about her past.

Amanozaki Touko… the self-styled greatest psychic of the century is certainly a strange girl. Though at first she had seemed like a nutty, superstitious kook, it seems that she has been hiding another part to her – or rather, a whole different personality. To you, it appears that this is her true self.

But you cannot know for sure.

Gently wiping her wound in preparation for the next step of treatment, you speak, “Amanozaki, I was wondering…”

23:13

A. “Are you native to the Tokyo area? You sound like you are from the western region.”

B. “You mentioned something about that part of your life being over and done with. What did you mean by that?”

C. “How did you begin your work as a psychic? Surely you were not born into a family of exorcists… right?”

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, let's try something a bit different and see if it works well. A short series of quicker (and shorter) updates revolving around dialogue choices. I'll set update intervals at around 12 hours for these. Minimal in-game time will pass.

Rex Feral

Prophet
We're doing small talk now? Do we really have to choose for every line our character says?

Oh well, B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom