Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making RPGCodex more of a 'codex'

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Every now and then we read reviews by guys who don't know what turn based is or mix up the publishers of known games. While problems of the second variety could be solved by pointing the reviewers' faces to Mobygames (if anyone cared), I think that there should be a place on the net in which someone could learn what does "turn based", "phase based", "real time", "real time with pause", "nonlinearity" etc mean. And I thing the best place for such a "CRPG terms Codex" would be RPGCodex.
Whaddya think? I'm not sure if this is a good idea, I just wanted to share it. The problem I see is that I can't find too many more terms worth mentioning. I don't think anyone should even try to define what a CRPG is for example.

EEVIAC

Erudite
The Everything site has given me a whole lot of usefull RPG information that I was hitherto unaware of, like power gamer, rules lawyer, munhkinism, etc. I do support an RPG Codex Lexicon of sorts, similar to the above, because I think it would be usefull to have all that information in one place. Will people in a year understand what a Chucky-whore is? I think new members deserve to know.

As for a RT-PB-TB treatise, Codex already has an excellent and informative article by Gareth (I'm guessing Section 8 is busy with Citizen Zero (?) for XBox and that's why I haven't seen him around.)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hey, thanks for that link. I somehow missed his article. The Everything site seems to be down now tho :-(

EEVIAC

Erudite
I was a little disappointed when I saw the site was down as well, but there are a few other web-based encyclopedias. Speaking of Section 8's article, I'd love to see some new features on RPG Codex. A ToEE wrap-up article would be welcome, but anything from devs that are currently working on (good) games would be great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom