Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Malicious ads link hijacking on the codex.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Nikaido, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    So, I thought I might have ended up with malware on my computer and had a strong case of wtf after a recent post where, when I linked to newegg, it ended up replacing the links by links to ebay. My heart rate ran sky high because my first suspicion was "did I somehow get my computer infected with some malware?!" and might have to format everything, change all passwords and the likes. But then I calmed down, turned on adblock and realized it was javascript injected by your shitty ads. I then tested on other OSes and other browsers and confirmed this link hijacking happens on all platforms as long as you don't use an adblock.

This is a new low, DU.

Without ublock.
    [​IMG]

With ublock.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  2. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    Btw if you don't get served the malicious ads (ad networks don't show the same crap depending on your location unfortunately), here's an archive snapshot that got the same crap javascript served to them as I was and their page was saved with the corrupted link so even ublock won't stop the hijacking when a codex post is viewed through archive.is

https://archive.is/HMZ2c

Bottom line : fuck DU, use adblock, ublock or whatever. Today it replaces user links with crap to ebay, sears and so on. Tomorrow you'll get malware, since this is the kind of ad network that gives the AIDS.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    you could say I have celtic/roman/barbarian german blood

^ Top  
  4. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    This is a Taluntain thing.

They shouldn't be changing where shit actually links...

^ Top  
  5. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Calm down, take a deep breath... there's nothing malicious, no malware. Just like dozens of thousands of other websites we've been using VigLink to affiliate outgoing links for a few years now. I'm assuming that this is a bug on their end, so I'll report it and see what they say. Until then, deep breaths...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  7. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    It would be malicious if it was intentional, but I'm certain that it isn't because we haven't had a single such case in all the years so far. There's potential for abuse in anything and everything and if that kept everyone awake at night we wouldn't get very far.

^ Top  
  8. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
  9. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Coming from the M$ fag imploring everyone to willingly install their spyware. You really are a top loser with a faint grasp of reality.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    And fixed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. xemous I have shit taste in games

xemous
    I don't use Windows on the internet so I don't worry about this

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    I started using ad block when the pop up ads started. It's the one thing I can't stand.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    If I didn't have adblocking on the router, browsing the Codex via mobile would be a nightmare. It's almost impossible to use.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. EG Nullified

EG
    This. Though I skip adblock and simply don't browse it.

^ Top  
  15. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :lol:

^ Top  
  16. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    Unless your favorite games are spreadsheets, there is only one platform for gaming, Windows. Everybody went apeshit with 10 because they finally saw what was being gathered anyways. There is no way to do some things unless some kind of data is being gathered. If you are afraid that the man will get you stop using a phone, any kind of payment card and/or payment system, alternate coinage, electronic train/bus tickets and you unique tax number. As far as I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), Windows 10 gathers much less than the actually most popular OS on the planet, which is Android.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...isabling-telemetry-considered-harmful.105118/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Corporate_Jew_Master Arcane

Corporate_Jew_Master
  19. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    You willingly wish to send off all your feedback to a corporation which cannot be trusted, in order to help them do their job?

There is absolutely zero upside for me, and I don't feel compelled to help M$ in anyway, especially at my expense.

The burden is on M$ to explain why I should give them my data when I don't give a shit if they go bankrupt, not on me to rationalise why I shouldn't give them my data.

^ Top  
  21. EG Nullified

EG
    Feel . . . free not to give them your data and to not use their services, if you so choose? No one's forcing me to use a Samsung phone or an iMac (well, not entirely, I need to support the Mac version of the game, thus I need a Mac), despite them having similar methodologies and TOSs to Windows 10, just as no one is forcing you to give anything to MS. Or to view the Codex.

Let them go bankrupt. Withhold your money. Good for you .etc

^ Top  
  22. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    If I am using one of the products of the corporation, it is implied that I trust it to a degree, is it not? You speak as if someone is forcing you to do it. Gathering telemetry data is something that most commercial software and all commercial OS do, by the way. Microsoft seems to have fallen in the trap of giving users more choice than Google does (for something that you carry in your pocket, let me add), and being punished because people see what a modern OS needs to gather to work with all the "kewl" stuff on.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.