Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

THE NARRATIVE BEGINS

Scumbags Harass Woman For Working On Mass Effect: Andromeda's Animations
Internet cretins engaged in a harassment campaign against a woman who worked for Electronic Arts this weekend, flooding her social media and various internet profiles with vitriolic, often misogynistic messages. Her sin, it appears, was working on animations for the game Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Allie Rose-Marie Leost, who worked for EA’s motion-capture labs in Vancouver, saw vicious harassment on Twitter and other websites today, most often from people who blamed her for Andromeda’s awkward facial animations. The harassment appears to have been primarily triggered by a vile blog post at Ralph Retort, a right-wing, GamerGate-tied website, that claimed Leost was the lead facial animator on Andromeda. That website also accused her of performing sexual acts to get her job at EA.

Here’s a small sample of the hundreds of messages Leost faced today:

As often happens with these internet witch-hunts, the harassment campaign against Leost was based on false information. BioWare today released a statement clarifying that she was not, in fact, a lead animator on Mass Effect: Andromeda. (There has been some confusion over whether Leost’s social media posts indicated that she was a lead, but given that she worked at EA Labs and not at the Andromeda team’s offices in Montreal, it’s clear that’s not the case.)

BioWare also condemned the abuse with a statement this afternoon:

Leost did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Somehow, the attacks seem completely predictable despite how terrible they are. In the age of President Trump and GamerGate, it all feels straight out of some especially insecure and desperate playbook. Starting with the transformation of a game’s sometimes silly character animations into a conspiracy, and then later a scandal in which the data points waver between incomplete and meaningless, the cycle isn’t new by this point.

PRESIDENT TRUMP
GAMERGATE

DESPERATE
DESPERATE

http://archive.is/WrjpC

BioWare cuts off GamerGate complaint about Mass Effect facial animations

An online harassment campaign directed at a former employee of Electronic Arts, blaming her for the poor animations in Mass Effect: Andromeda, has summoned a defense from BioWare.

This afternoon, the studio published this statement:

C7OdF4hWwAIaiBl.jpg:large

t is an oblique rebuttal of this claim, made yesterday by Ethan Ralph, that the "lead facial animator" at Electronic Arts' Montréal studio is a woman who ascended to that role only because of her celebrity as a cosplayer.

BioWare's statement above refutes that she ever was in a position of leadership, or that she is currently employed by the studio. It's unclear what her status with BioWare is or was. We’ve reached out to an Electronic Arts representative to confirm.

Ralph's post yesterday, igniting the harassment campaign, included a screenshot of Allie Rose-Marie Leost's Twitter page in which she identified herself as "lead facial animator for Mass Effect: Andromeda." That claim has since changed.

Mass Effect: Andromeda launches Tuesday on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One. The game is available in preview on Electronic Arts' EA Access and Origin Access subscription services.

In the preview window, it has come under intense fire for its poor character animations, particularly in dialogue sequences where facial animations, coupled with sequenced dialogue, give off a robotic vibe emblematic of role-playing games from one or more console generations ago. These deficiencies won’t be patched by or before launch.
Still, given the numerous people involved in the final presentation of character models in a game, from motion capture through to final animation, the accusation of a single person being responsible seems like quite an overreach.

GamerGate, however, has been preoccupied with the conspicuous inclusion of women, minorities or other marginalized groups, whether as characters in a video game story or on a development team. Its many sympathizers openly and vehemently resent the inclusion or publicity of either as an insincere social indoctrination by politically correct forces. Their hostility is typically channeled through social media or Reddit.

Leost is also a cosplayer, though her Facebook page seems to have been taken down in the wake of this controversy. Ralph is well known as a GamerGate advocate through his site, The Ralph Retort.

The journalist Brad Glasgow, who has written extensively about GamerGate, deplored the blaming of Leost for the problems Mass Effect: Andromeda is facing.

More deflection from the usual suspects, what are they trying to do here make their readers pity buy the game to spite Gamergate? Make a political statement by buying a piece of shit for 60 bucks, here look I just set fire to my money that will show those Gamergate misogynists. The best thing right now marketers at EA and Bioware can do is get Trump to slag it off on twitter. That way the mainstream media will jump on it and champion this piece of shit and millions of SJW leftards will go out and buy the game.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bioware's writing in the game is indeed insane. So the Andromeda initiative detected the golden worlds by watching them in real time with a super advanced geth telescope that allows you to see light from millions of light years away, That's why they are surprised to find that the worlds are no longer habitable after traveling 600 years.... this shit makes no sense.

Juggie is not an apologist shill. WTF?
It is not as if one gets that image from reading his comments, right? :lol:

Whatever dude. Doesn't it frustrate you a little that nobody (except me) has noticed you're a contrarian liberal asshole in the Politics forum while pretending to join the GamerGate circlejerk in here? Apparently you're not making much of an impression.

So here, I'm doing you a favor. Look everybody, it's tormund, a new legend of the Codex.

Nah I noticed too but I tend to just ignore him while he plays at being a mong in the politics forum, unless I want to give him shit to harvest cheap brofists, basically this image sums up tormund s politics posts...

n8umjWj.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bioware's writing in the game is indeed insane. So the Andromeda initiative detected the golden worlds by watching them in real time with a super advanced geth telescope that allows you to see light from millions of light years away, That's why they are surprised to find that the worlds are no longer habitable after traveling 600 years.... this shit makes no sense.

Yeah, it's a bit risky move.

J1M

Arcane

:lol: who the fuck comes up with that straight from tumblr shit? why would EA pay anyone to write that crap?

loled at kill.me.now. salarians as always the only saving part of Mass Effect

"No I mean, I think you're cute and I like seeing you up here." My face is tired.

It's literally just a stream of consciousness of how a fat female virgin imagines courtship to be. :lol:

J1M

Arcane
Yeah, it's sad that nobody mentioned those images would actually be 2,500,634 years old (trip length + distance to andromeda).

Feel free to re-evaluate this based on said revelation:
Jien Garson is the founder and leader of the Andromeda Initiative, the mission task force that will transport thousands of Humans, Asari, Turians and Salarians from the Milky Way to her closest neighboring galaxy.

Little is known about Garson's past or her benefactors, but she appears to be both a capable leader and a knowledgeable explorer.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
THE NARRATIVE BEGINS

Scumbags Harass Woman For Working On Mass Effect: Andromeda's Animations
Internet cretins engaged in a harassment campaign against a woman who worked for Electronic Arts this weekend, flooding her social media and various internet profiles with vitriolic, often misogynistic messages. Her sin, it appears, was working on animations for the game Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Allie Rose-Marie Leost, who worked for EA’s motion-capture labs in Vancouver, saw vicious harassment on Twitter and other websites today, most often from people who blamed her for Andromeda’s awkward facial animations. The harassment appears to have been primarily triggered by a vile blog post at Ralph Retort, a right-wing, GamerGate-tied website, that claimed Leost was the lead facial animator on Andromeda. That website also accused her of performing sexual acts to get her job at EA.

Here’s a small sample of the hundreds of messages Leost faced today:

As often happens with these internet witch-hunts, the harassment campaign against Leost was based on false information. BioWare today released a statement clarifying that she was not, in fact, a lead animator on Mass Effect: Andromeda. (There has been some confusion over whether Leost’s social media posts indicated that she was a lead, but given that she worked at EA Labs and not at the Andromeda team’s offices in Montreal, it’s clear that’s not the case.)

BioWare also condemned the abuse with a statement this afternoon:

Leost did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Somehow, the attacks seem completely predictable despite how terrible they are. In the age of President Trump and GamerGate, it all feels straight out of some especially insecure and desperate playbook. Starting with the transformation of a game’s sometimes silly character animations into a conspiracy, and then later a scandal in which the data points waver between incomplete and meaningless, the cycle isn’t new by this point.

PRESIDENT TRUMP
GAMERGATE

DESPERATE
DESPERATE
It begins!!!!
:flamesaw:

Why do I feel that those that continued to dogpile on this chick didn't care at all about the animations or if she really is a femitard, but instead did to create yet another guymers are muhsoginus!!! media shitstorm....

:lol: who the fuck comes up with that straight from tumblr shit? why would EA pay anyone to write that crap?

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

HOW CAN IT KEEP GETTING WORSE!!!

We are seriously reaching levels of shitness that are going beyond my comprehension. It honestly is fucking baffling that all the people who worked on this game didn't raise any objection to this. I have acted in a few plays, resentfully, with other peoples poor writing and tried to make the best of it by interperating the lines in a completly different way than the writers intention, but I honestly would never have done voice acting in this game, given this script, even if I was desperate for money. If I was given this script I would have called up Bioware and insisted on making changes otherwise I would have bailed, as being a voice actor delivering those lines is embarrasing and a stain on your CV.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Since this is a bioware game, there is supposed to be a twist in the middle of it. Given the first Kett cutscene appears to show that the space chimps don't know how the ancient robot technology works, I suspect the twist is that we learn the Kett language and they turn out to be allies. ("Why can't we all just get along?") This choice will be defended as "thematically consistent, since all previous mass effect games have been about the dangers of artificial intelligence".

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

HOW CAN IT KEEP GETTING WORSE!!!

We are seriously reaching levels of shitness that are going beyond my comprehension. It honestly is fucking baffling that all the people who worked on this game didn't raise any objection to this. I have acted in a few plays, resentfully, with other peoples poor writing and tried to make the best of it by interperating the lines in a completly different way than the writers intention, but I honestly would never have done voice acting in this game, given this script, even if I was desperate for money. If I was given this script I wuld have called up Bioware and insisted on making changes otherwise I would have bailed, as being a voice actor delivering those lines is embarrasing and a stain on your CV.

It reminds me of DA:Origins, romance with Leliana was written in the same childish way, couldn't believe it's "dark fantasy" as bioware wanted it.

Sykar

Arcane

They are just continuing good old Bioderp tradtion since ME 2 and DA 2.

:troll:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Since this is a bioware game, there is supposed to be a twist in the middle of it. Given the first Kett cutscene appears to show that the space chimps don't know how the ancient robot technology works, I suspect the twist is that we learn the Kett language and they turn out to be allies. ("Why can't we all just get along?") This choice will be defended as "thematically consistent, since all previous mass effect games have been about the dangers of artificial intelligence".

As we can find parts of Salarian ark evacuation pods on Eos, and knowing that kett were kidnapping the new race, I assume that those bad alien that look as if they were made from shit are somewhat transformed from kidnapped, main villian looks diffrent than them.
Or they were simply low on budget and made only one model, but that's really hardcore, even for them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I like how the Defense Brigade come sout to defeat the woman but nothing when the male BIO guys attacked. Gaider got attacked all the time and there was no huge defense of him by BIO or the SJW Brigade. He was left to fend for himself and fend for himself he did. Same with the producer guy awhile back. He gets attacked and not a peep. BIO and the SJWs really do see women as fragile weak creatures. How is that progressive? Codex is way more progressive than them because we attack everyone equally no matter gender or ace. LMAO

Old Hans

Arcane
The neogaf thread about the animator lady is so good right now. That place is full of giant babies.

Padzi

Arbiter
Kill me now

This salarian has got the right idea about that scene for sure.

:lol:

"Kill. Me. Now." - you and me Kallo. You and me. Ryder and Suvi are acting like children in grade school. I wanna die.

And now my fellow Codexers. I nominate Ryder as the biggest SJW computer game character of the year. Launch the video from 30:35 (spoilers of course):

And now skip to 40:15 (spoilers too).

Jaal - Talks about someone he cares and that they are close.
Ryder (hawkward face, what the fuck do I say back) - So... is that your rifle?

Dialogues like from The Room by Tommy Wiseau. Bravo!
tumblr_najekfQGDa1rskk8io4_250.gif
tumblr_najekfQGDa1rskk8io3_250.gif

----

Besides, come on. What is the truth. Are you hiding something Scott?

N1jryi3.png

imweasel

I don't get this asari obsession. They are fucking ugly abominations. You don't even need to look at the new ones. They always were.
Bioware panders to weirdos, because they are weirdos themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom