Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Screens showing Dialogue

Llyranor

Liturgist
I don't see what's so funny about those screens. They look grreat.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Llyranor said:

The dialogue options are at most 4 words, thats bad. Second, what is given is highly simplistic and doesn't seem to offer the player much in the way of choices. Pretty games are a dime a dozen. Apparently, so will Mass Effect's dialogue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The dialogue options are at most 4 words, thats bad. Second, what is given is highly simplistic and doesn't seem to offer the player much in the way of choices. Pretty games are a dime a dozen. Apparently, so will Mass Effect's dialogue."

i agree that the dialogue is very simplistic and not very exiciting; but this doesn't prelcude role-playing options.

In fact, BIO has already demonstrated the role-playing aspect of the game. The clearest example is that with the bartender from all the demo screens, and previews. Not to mention, party members may leave you if you upset them... that sure sounds like consequences for player chocies.

Again, the dialogue itself I find weak.. I have even said so on the BIO baords... but, that doens't stop there from being actual choices that matter.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Llyranor said:

The dialogue options are at most 4 words, thats bad. Second, what is given is highly simplistic and doesn't seem to offer the player much in the way of choices. Pretty games are a dime a dozen. Apparently, so will Mass Effect's dialogue.

But you can show true emotion and pull out your gun to intimidate people. It sounds like a fun minigame.

bryce777

Erudite
Llyranor said:
Greatatlantic said:
Llyranor said:

But you can show true emotion and pull out your gun to intimidate people. It sounds like a fun minigame.

Wow, the bio developers obviously read these boards. As someone put it, it just becomes harder and harder to satirize these days. Even the most outrageous things I suggest (such as a minigame where you punch the npc and rough him up) eventually become adopted and seen as fine ideas. It's unbelievable.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Llyranor said:
Greatatlantic said:
Llyranor said:

At this point I don't know if you are being sarcastic, so I'll assume you aren't.

Mini-games are the bane of gaming. Instead of doing something fun worth $50, you get a "mini-game" that you could have played something similar to online for free.

Posters at the Codex by and large like reading, and see dialogue trees as one of the best features of classic RPGs. Well written dialogue is far more entertaining then playing peek-a-boo, I have a gun. If I wanted a mini-game like that, I'd go to newgrounds.

Furthermore, the novelty of mini-games wears off pretty quickly, and I think the same will be said for this new approach to dialogue. Not by the "gaming journalists", mind you. They are so busy believing corporate talking points to consider criticizing a much lauded company.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Even the most outrageous things I suggest (such as a minigame where you punch the npc and rough him up) eventually become adopted and seen as fine ideas."

This is why you are a millionaire!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom