Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Vid

hiciacit

Liturgist
I very much agree about the combat, that looked quite boring.

I'm not that impressed with the dialogue either. It would be cool if the actual enactment of your chosen reponse would depend on some of your characters stats though. For example, a not too bright, brutish character will pull a gun in a public place (with all the possible consequences that might bring about) and put it too the bartenders face. A more intelligent, persuasive character might subtily convince the bartender that if he doesn't cooperate, he might go home to find his wife and kids raped and gutted on the kitchen floor...

:D

edited because of unreadability

onerobot

Scholar
hiciacit said:
For example, a not too bright, brutish character will pull a gun in a public place (with all the possible consequences that might bring about) and put it too the bartenders face.

That says way too much about the people that are going to buy this game. :P

This honestly looks like less of an RPG than System Shock or even Deus Ex, which is pretty scary considering that those games could hardly be called RPGs themselves. At least they presented options to mostly avoid combat by focusing on things like computer skills, sneaking etc and gave you ample time to plan ahead, but if the E3 clip is anything to go by (and it is) in Mass Effect you run around full tilt Doomishly mowing down (okay, clicking down) enemies, and it's an RPG because you have the incredible choice of using ammo that either freezes or sets things on fire (OMG FIRE!!! HEADSHOT i got u FAGOT alein).

I'm glad that Bioware's taking chances and breaking down the old conceptions of what makes an RPG, since without them the world would never know that on-rail shooter - the cool light gun + Diablo = TRUE RPG.

hiciacit

Liturgist
onerobot said:
I'm glad that Bioware's taking chances and breaking down the old conceptions of what makes an RPG, since without them the world would never know that on-rail shooter - the cool light gun + Diablo = TRUE RPG.

Or: how to steal Bill Ropers thunder.

onerobot

Scholar
:D At least he calls a spade a spade. It looks like Bethesda's success hasn't gone unnoticed by our good friends at Bioware.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
That all looks slick. Wether the dialogue has any depth and conseqeunces would be decisive as to its RPG qualities, hard to judge from the video. I like that the video focused on dialogu a lot though. That the dialogue is well acted and animated is a plus by itself, I'm not going to trash it just because it's shiny. I liked the gun-pulling scene, sue me. Though, if you are gonna do a Star wars look-alike game, why not just get the Star wars license again...
Combat looked like a mediocre shooter. Though, I wouldn't mind a mediocre shooter if it's non-linear with choices and consequences and good dialogue.
Well, I'm only very mildly interested in this game so far.

Azarkon

Arcane
Next-gen graphics are what M$ and Sony fight over, and so next-gen graphics are what Bio's going to give M$. I'd wait till Dragon Age, personally, before proclaiming that Bio's ABAND0NED AL1 RPGZ!

Mass Effect will likely follow the design principles of Jade Empire, so there's no real surprises here.

Mr Happy

Scholar
I'm interested. The galaxy thing looks nice, but who knows how confined it will be.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I hope it doesn't turn out to be like freelance

Freelancer is just an engine for busting your ass making money in multiplayer. Expect, and recieve nothing else.

Anyways, yeah, looks like a hard-light console trash space shooter with dynamic cutscenes, and again we're back to "The Pure Rpg to rule them all" bonanza, where nimrods throw up on each other while furiously jacking off.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
onerobot said:
This honestly looks like less of an RPG than System Shock or even Deus Ex, which is pretty scary considering that those games could hardly be called RPGs themselves. At least they presented options to mostly avoid combat by focusing on things like computer skills, sneaking etc and gave you ample time to plan ahead, but if the E3 clip is anything to go by (and it is) in Mass Effect you run around full tilt Doomishly mowing down (okay, clicking down) enemies, and it's an RPG because you have the incredible choice of using ammo that either freezes or sets things on fire (OMG FIRE!!! HEADSHOT i got u FAGOT alein).
I can understand why someone would consider neither to be RPGs, but you seemd to imply that System Shock is more of an RPG than Deus Ex. I hope you're not referring to the original System Shock, as it is usually considered more of a first-person action adventure than first-person action RPG. The second added skills, but it didn't have any NPCs, dialogue or choices that affected the plot. I'm at a loss to come up with what way in which SS2 is more of an RPG than DX, even if neither is an actual RPG.

onerobot

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
I can understand why someone would consider neither to be RPGs, but you seemd to imply that System Shock is more of an RPG than Deus Ex. I hope you're not referring to the original System Shock, as it is usually considered more of a first-person action adventure than first-person action RPG. The second added skills, but it didn't have any NPCs, dialogue or choices that affected the plot. I'm at a loss to come up with what way in which SS2 is more of an RPG than DX, even if neither is an actual RPG.

That was just me being dumb, as I meant to compare the combat engines, not the entire games. My point was that they're combining the simpler elements of First Person Shooters and RPGs and trying to make a workable system out of them, and by doing so being strictly worse than either. It was one of the larger complaints people had about Jade Empire (which tried to mix Fighting Games and RPGs), and Bioshock seems to shaping up about the same, only with more of a focus on action.

Bioware will probably do a good job of it since they're doing it on purpose, but it would be nice if they'd just try to focus on doing one or the other well instead of giving us watered down versions of both.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"if there are combat mechanics they likely be over weapon restriction and damage, not ability to hit ... or miss."

BIO has stated quite clearly youa re wrong. They have made it veryc lear that CHARECTR ability will effect the success or fialure of combat - specific exmaple of whether you hit or miss being the big one. Your 'target' circle 's size is dtermine directly by your character stats. They have, IIRC, confirmed non combat skills including ones that effect dialogue.

Are you people stupid? Did you guys actually read the various articles on the game or ar eyou basing this on the fact that they licensed a specifc engine that ha sin the past been used in FPS? This isn't a FPS. Espicially since it's playable in 3rd person, dumbass. It *is* Action RPG - just liek JE which had dialogue skills... 3 to be exact which were used ALL THE TIME.. JE, the game that has more role--laying it than either BG or KOTOR.

I do have my doubts about the dialogue. I'm with those who would much prefer ahve the chocie of exactly what my character says or does. I don't want it to adlib. It's my major beef with the game (and dialogue) at this time.

So... I await more dumbassery by morons who continue to stubbornly hold ouit that this is a FPS... when itsn't even in First Person...

Once again: Combat can be paused at any time, and you can target the enemies when pause or switch control to another character. CHARACTER skill determmines the size of your targeting circle, and hence the accuracy. This has been confirmed.

R00fles!

kris

Arcane
Seems like Gave Daider is busy, he usually pop up and comment in these discussions. But then again, maybe he don't work much or at all on Mass Effect.

Anyway, the focus on this video was promising as in it was not 100% combat, like other games... Maybe I would be entertained by it, maybe on par with Jade Empire, but it won't make me buy an xbox360. Like most others I don't really approve about dialogue, but I give them the benefit of doubt until I tested that myself... if that ever happen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, Gaider is 100% working on DA last we heard. :twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom