Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic clones are cursed. Alternatives?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I liked shadow magic up until I realized that winning was basically about tricking out heroes until they were unstoppable.

Eldritch

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I liked shadow magic up until I realized that winning was basically about tricking out heroes until they were unstoppable.

Well, in the unmodded SM especially pre-official patch 1.3 enchantments were a bit too powerful and easy to cast and specialize in. Coupled with the fact that the lower tier units were really useless even when they've leveled up the heroes (especially the warrior presets) being much stronger and even more when enchanted may be considered a bit imbalanced.

In the unmodded AoW1 the heroes could become even more powerful to the extreme compared to the weaklings in SM on XL maps or in the Campaign. Though saying heavily enchanted heroes being the only way to win in vanilla SM is a bit reaching it especially on multiplayer. You won't really have the chance to level up/pimp out your heroes with artifacts and experience too much on a medium map with human players constantly harassing your ass with heavily enchanted whatever powerful high-tier unit their race has grossly outnumbering your heroes. In the vanilla game, the powerful heroes also have powerful and easilly spammable high tier race specific cheesy units like druids&warlords to worry about. And they're rapetronic when they've leveled up too.

I wasn't entirely pleased with the gameplay like you after enjoying it for a while but when I've discovered the mods... They were unexpectedly good. They manage to improve fucking everything from gameplay to somehow even the AI itself. Isn't AI usually hard-coded in games or something? I don't know how but they even managed to improve that in the DWIGGSmod. I especially love the DWIGGSmod because it makes the lower tiers much more important especially in the veteran levels and tone down the high tiers and heroes not by ridiculously nerfing them but making them expensive and harder to level up to give them their rightful elite role which makes them more useful mid-late game in the more elite stacks where you're limited in how many you can take to strike some place really important. It also tones down the enchantments and everything, balancing spells overall perfectly. In the vanilla game most high tier spells weren't really worth it to bother researching for example. The "multiplayer 1.6" mod is also an improvement on the terribly imbalanced "unofficial 1.4 patch" mod really good for a decently balanced fast paced multiplayer session totally free of cheese.

You really should try the game again with the mods and then return to invite your fellow codexers for some hot PBEM/hamachi action.

abstract said:
derp derp derp I'm so l33t derp derp ur a furfag

STFU you boorish blowhard nerd!!1!1 Don't discourage the furry one, I want that LP. :wink:

abstract

Scholar
Oh but I'm not leet. I couldn't get past the Hand of Nagash in Dark Omen because it was too hard.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
kingcomrade said:

Even it if was totally true, which it is not, it would still hardly be bad. Just something like : "I played this game and learned how to to become better at it. Up to the point where I knew how to play it so well that it was hardly a challenge anymore".

Same goes for every strategy game in single player. A.I is never good enough once you know the ropes. Here come the mods then, and as it has been said there are many interesting ones. The unofficial 1.4 patch, for starters, is excellent for single player. And there are also extraordinary single player maps. Not too many of them, but still, enough to keep you busy far more than most other games.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Thats not a reason to dislike the game. Like anyone could stop souped up Torin.

Sammual

Novice
Becoming cursed...

Hey all,

As a long time fan of Master of Magic I have kicked around the idea of doing a fan remake of the game for some time. With the release of Unity 2.5 for Windows I found a game engine that has the power to do everything I want to do while being simple enough for me to understand (I'm a SQL / Cold Fusion / Javascript programmer not a C++ programmer). Here is my map generation WIP - http://www.pittsburghautisticspectrum.o ... ation.html
It does not include a 'water map' for river generation or swamp placement yet, nor does it place special tiles, villages, or starting cities.

Let me know if you think the maps look playable in a MoM / Civ style game.

NOTE - You have to have installed the Unity Web Player to see my map generator

Map_1_800.gif

More screenshots at http://www.pittsburghautisticspectrum.org/Test/

Thanks,

Sammual

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom