Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic remake from Thea developers and Slitherine

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Some more gameplay of the new MoM. Skip to the 7 minute mark if you want to get right into the nuMoM part. Das once again derails his vid and shows off Caster of Magic for the first few minutes of the video. Unfortunately I'll never get over the downgrade from squares to hexes, but at least the color palette does look slightly better than in the early pics.

Lagi

Savant
OMG!!!!
CASTER OF MAGIC HAS TERRAIN TILES UPGRADE!!!
YEASSS BEST START OF THE WEEKEND

start with only 1 settler? :decline:

:despair:
m2MAzeG.png

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
more videos are here..

eXplorminate Rob does a great job of skipping the tutorial and then not understanding half of whats going on lol..

and here's another guy playing the press build

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
TERRAIN TILES UPGRADE
Hope that's sarcasm. The "upgraded" tiles look like shit.
playing mom for graphics? connoisseurs of shit. i didnt check it yet, because GOG is still not updated

MoM's graphics do look dated, but if you are going to change them, it would be better if the change didn't stick out like a sore thumb; otherwise why bother.

zapotec

Liturgist
looks like Warlock: Master of the Arcane, but the worst thing is that Slimerine will charge it 30 - 40 euro i bet

mastroego

Arcane
Maybe old farts how missed MoM back in the days?

Old farts who missed MoM back in the days can easily take the time back just playing the original MoM (with brilliant Drake178's patch 1.60 as a cherry on top). What any of old farts can seek in modern MoM remakes is beyond my imagination, sorry.

This old fart thinks MoM needs an UI and graphics update.
If everything else stayed (more or less) the same I could definitely use a modern "re-release".

Alex

Arcane
Maybe old farts how missed MoM back in the days?

Old farts who missed MoM back in the days can easily take the time back just playing the original MoM (with brilliant Drake178's patch 1.60 as a cherry on top). What any of old farts can seek in modern MoM remakes is beyond my imagination, sorry.

This old fart thinks MoM needs an UI and graphics update.
If everything else stayed (more or less) the same I could definitely use a modern "re-release".
Eh, the UI could definitely be improved. But a "graphics update" nowadays would almost certainly end up looking worse.

mastroego

Arcane
Portraits and such were fine, considering.
The map is almost unintelligible. Surely you agree it could easily be improved.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Like the overmap? I don't remember having any problems with it, and I'm not exactly the best at strategy games. That said, I think there's probably some minor UI issues that need fixing. Its not necessarily that Master of Magic is bad, I've just noticed whenever I fire up some '90s strategy game I tend to have minor issues somewhere. Maybe its a pain to select cities or units, maybe the menus are a bit awkward, maybe there's something that just couldn't have been done with the memory they had back then.

Lagi

Savant
Like the overmap? I don't remember having any problems with it, and I'm not exactly the best at strategy games. That said, I think there's probably some minor UI issues that need fixing. Its not necessarily that Master of Magic is bad, I've just noticed whenever I fire up some '90s strategy game I tend to have minor issues somewhere. Maybe its a pain to select cities or units, maybe the menus are a bit awkward, maybe there's something that just couldn't have been done with the memory they had back then.
3d map is a mistake for strategy games. You do not need the depth at all.

I was playing heroes 5.5 - its incredible how improved the gameplay is now (non cheating AI, faster combat...), but still on main map I need to rotate the camera 3x times, to identify where is what. Heroes 3 blow it out of the water.

2d maps are superb readable. And you can actually focus on game, instead of trying to spot dark map or units elements. Dont get me wrong, I hate moving 100x of counters on hex maps, many times i would like to select the m all and just click one point on map - the maps however are the pinnacle of design.

Take a look. At one glance i see everything, and im starting to fantasize where i would position my troops. Now imagine you will have to play on such a big map 3d strategy game.
d009c9fec81a469dcc8972c08b7a4050.jpg

mastroego

Arcane
I never said it had to be 3D.
Then again, I'm not against it either.

MoM maps and other parts of the UI are just barebones, and old.
I don't especially like to play games that make me feel old.
I get enough of that already going through ordinary life, being 46 and not the 20-something I more or less feel I "should" still be for some reason (spoiler: this is entirely what getting older is about).

So, again, I'd welcome a PROPER remake of MoM. The original is old, it feels old (though it's undeniably still the best of the genre) and I'd prefer a new installment over the necessity of making it "work" with modern hardware, monitors and such.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
MoM maps and other parts of the UI are just barebones, and old.
I don't especially like to play games that make me feel old.
I get enough of that already going through ordinary life, being 46 and not the 20-something I more or less feel I "should" still be for some reason (spoiler: this is entirely what getting older is about).
Like you keep alluding to this, but I'm struggling to think of any problems with the maps. I guess you don't get a proper fog of war in the original, but that's just one problem. I look at the map, and everything is readable, you can tell what's a town and what's a mountain or field. Armies are easily distinguishable. Tile size is good and you can increase the size of it anyway since DOSbox and various source ports over the years. I'm genuinely trying to find out where you're coming from on this and I'm drawing a blank. Is it just because its pixel art?

mastroego

Arcane
I've tried to explain it already. It's not the pixels, per se, the map graphics are bad.
And it's old and clunky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom