Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic remake from Thea developers and Slitherine

Lagi

Savant
wizards graphics are masterpieces. They are ... unsettling (?). shame they dont fit to old mom too much.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel bad for the devs, they were basically pressured into sacrilege and now almost nobody will play this anyway.

Zeriel

Arcane
Man, imagine if those resources had just been spent on an OpenXcom style engine rewrite that supported modern rendering and easy modding.

This feels similar to the master of orion reboot, when will they learn?

Same attitude. Cash grab. They just don't care.

It's ironic that the "true to the spirit" 2D sprite reboots all have to come from indie projects like Wesnoth. Although... I guess that's not always true, there are exceptions like that new Fire Emblem style game on Steam that's highly rated. It's just that they are never produced by these studios that get the rights to the actual franchises.

What do you mean by "refresh"?

Modern developers don't have the competence or skill to make comparable games. They can only try to ape what has already been made, and even then very poorly.

Master of Magic was a groundbreaking game when it was released 28 years ago. Seeing these modern developers try to remake it is like
2-photos13.jpg

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I can't see how the OpenXcom project is anything but the definitive way to secure a games legacy.

I have no idea what could be "refreshed" in these games. They are still refreshing to play as they are unsurpassed in their respective genres.

Though I think AI is something that could always stand improvement. Not even to make it more difficult, just more interesting and unpredictable.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I don't get it. People keep talking about QoL updates, but did MoM really need it? I have been playing it for almost 30 years, and I have never felt that hard done by the UI...

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I don't get it. People keep talking about QoL updates, but did MoM really need it? I have been playing it for almost 30 years, and I have never felt that hard done by the UI...
There are many games from that period with terrible nonsensical UIs and controls but MoM is not one of them.

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut
I went on a mom binge like a year ago for 3 or 4 months. And had no issues with the interface. It was pretty easy to play for what a 30 year old game?

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I bought it. Don't really think it's worth the price, though. Even if it was a faithful and good remake it'd still be overpriced imo. The graphics aren't good enough to warrant such a hefty new price tag as the game is graphically uglier than, say, Warlock Master of the Arcane, a 10 year old game. The game also sports lots of memory leaks which means if you play the game longer for an hour it's going to start chugging pretty bad. The settings are also pitiful and offer nothing useful to tweak, really. Even the setting screen for the key binds is just a sheet for the hotkeys but you can't actually change them.

The second big thing that could've changed is the AI, but honestly it's not any better. Check a look at the pics below of how densely the AI is settling cities. Each game is going to be a Sisyphusean task of cleaning up the AI to win. Did anyone at MuHa games test this and think this is fine? It's not just that they settle so densely but it takes a long time to wait for the enemy AI to complete its turn, most of it is spent repeating the same movement paths back and forth as it can't seem to decide what to do.

What else.. the AI hates roads and engineers. The AI will spend all of its energy running after engineers that have been set to dig roads. This can be abused to stall armies pretty much indefinitely.

The auto resolve is also extremely weird. I've lost half my army of Ultra Elite flyer units against a single enemy veteran spearman. Not joking, not bullshitting, not hyperboling. There's an option to toggle on if the AI is allowed to cast spells or not during auto resolve, and I've seen situations where the projected outcome for me is worse with magic casting on. Just.. how?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

The Youtube comments are full of "looks awsum", "plz take my money!". Some guy is asking for an Xbox release. At least it's a relief to know I'm not the target audience for this kind of crap.

Given how youtube is filled to the brim paid paid shills and bot commenters I wouldn't be too worried about feeling "alienated". Judging by GOG and Steam reviews it isn't exactly a stellar release among fans who actually bought it.

Alex

Arcane
There are many games from that period with terrible nonsensical UIs and controls but MoM is not one of them.
Yeah.

Although a building queue and maybe a way to quickly control city production without going into the city would be nice.
Open mom would be better then this weak ass remake for nostalgia fags and zoomers.
Open mom would be better then this weak ass remake for nostalgia fags and zoomers.
If OpenMom doesn't exist, then it would be necessary to invent it. - Voltaire

:martini:
ITZ coming:
https://github.com/jbalcomb/STU-MoM_Rasm
A re-assembly is nice, an important step even. But open xcom was a whole re-implementation of the system, which allowed it to fix bugs and to open up various functionalities to modding.

mastroego

Arcane
the game is graphically uglier than, say, Warlock Master of the Arcane, a 10 year old game
I love this game. A shame Warlock II didn't go anywhere.

Did you try it with Renaissance Mod?

I bought it. Don't really think it's worth the price, though. Even if it was a faithful and good remake it'd still be overpriced imo. The graphics aren't good enough to warrant such a hefty new price tag as the game is graphically uglier than, say, Warlock Master of the Arcane, a 10 year old game. The game also sports lots of memory leaks which means if you play the game longer for an hour it's going to start chugging pretty bad. The settings are also pitiful and offer nothing useful to tweak, really. Even the setting screen for the key binds is just a sheet for the hotkeys but you can't actually change them.

What else.. the AI hates roads and engineers. The AI will spend all of its energy running after engineers that have been set to dig roads. This can be abused to stall armies pretty much indefinitely.

The auto resolve is also extremely weird. I've lost half my army of Ultra Elite flyer units against a single enemy veteran spearman. Not joking, not bullshitting, not hyperboling. There's an option to toggle on if the AI is allowed to cast spells or not during auto resolve, and I've seen situations where the projected outcome for me is worse with magic casting on. Just.. how?

Damn it.
Is it moddable at least?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Damn it.
Is it moddable at least?
Apparently it is very moddable so it's not completely hopeless.

Edit: I'd be more worried about the piss poor sales (only 85 reviews on Steam, for MoM?) leading to Slitherine probably cutting further patching and development on the game. The memory leak issues are real and I'm unsure if that is something that can be fixed with mods.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom