Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Maybe we prefer older games because they're not even the "same medium" as modern games?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
full realistic title

Hate to be that guy, especially since I like the game in question but:

1706289193307.png

1706289329532.png

Case in point. Note "You don't have to imagine the fantasy world you're supposed to be in because you can see it, hear it, and in some ways feel it." And this is from 1997. So personally I think the less autistic view on this is that computer entertainment systems are versatile and allows a wide range of entertainment experiences with widely different goals. Modern 4k HDR Dolby Atmos movie games like Cyberpunk 2077 are fine, but old school adventure games with a more symbolic art are also very good. More importantly game developers have always tried to cater to both experiences from an early point, like this from 1997.
lQTzCk5.png

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
One impression I always get from playing oldies is that devs fully mastered the engine, the art and the tools from tip to toe. With all the hardware limitations they had to work with (and around), they always pushed above their weight, which led to coherent results.

Today, it seems devs have lost control of their technology and processes. Too complex, too automated, too muddled, too unoptimized, too spread out... it seems like the engine is gaming the devs. The result is incoherence. Just look at Blizzard's latest canceled survival game, or 7+ years dev cycles becoming the norm.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Old developers had teams with about 15 people. Thus they could do tight design, and they could coordinate well. With 200 people, they have to deal with MASSIVE inefficiency, and the only real benefit is in animation, and in manually intensive tasks. But sane developers were designing automatic content creation algorithms to avoid wasting theirs time on creating terrain by hand, and by placing stuff on terrain by hand.

Thus a lot of skills were lost, and more importantly I'm not sure if its still legal to hire according to solving few PHD level mathematic equations and passing other eng tests during hiring process. Some states created weird laws.

El Presidente

Arcane
There's another point I'd like to add to this thread's OP, and that's the sincerity of old games. There are no layers of hidden bullshit intentions, messages and lecturings by weirdos with a smug sense of superiority. They are what they are, and they were made by people attempting to entertain you. This makes for such a stark difference in tone when you pick a classic to (re)play, especially if you do so immediately after putting down a modern title. It really feels like you're embarking on an entirely different thing altogether. There's something inherently more whimsical about them that's hard to describe with words, and probably also has to do with the original point of this thread.

1580734670932-Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-152226.png

Ok I'm definitely cheating now as Loom is a really special game, but can you even imagine a modern AAA title providing you with such an honest, pure fantasy journey like this? There's this charming sincere, upfront "whimsicalness" to the experience that literally does not exist in modern gaming, and this also contributes to the feeling you're consuming "another medium".

The games are opaque, you can't see the devs through them - unlike modern AAAs, where you can clearly see the retard behind the curtain operating the levers.

Viata

Arcane
And that is why I have no interest in playing games made by big dev. You must be deluded in thinking it was made with passion. A game with +50 people working on it implies a lot of people there are just doing it because "it's just their job".

std::namespace

Ok I'm definitely cheating now as Loom is a really special game, but can you even imagine a modern AAA title providing you with such an honest, pure fantasy journey like this? There's this charming sincere, upfront "whimsicalness" to the experience that literally does not exist in modern gaming, and this also contributes to the feeling you're consuming "another medium".
Loom is a terribad shit fucking adventure - a non-game as they come. Anyone who is still not senile would not stand 5 minutes of it. Its pure shit.
Nothing about it tells you, you are consuming "another medium". Its a fucking clicker that bores a human being to death in seconds!!!!!
YOU are just a braindead pathetic fucking boomer who is eternally stuck in the past completely wrong and is irrelevant dust.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
COPE HARDER. Old games weren't made by trannies, redditors and niggers. That's it. Literally. That's all. Ta-Da! Ba-Dum-Tush. What you expected? An essay? It's that simple. Only certified midwits can convince themselves it's something more complex. Super simple

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Loom is a terribad shit fucking adventure - a non-game as they come. Anyone who is still not senile would not stand 5 minutes of it. Its pure shit.
Nothing about it tells you, you are consuming "another medium". Its a fucking clicker that bores a human being to death in seconds!!!!!
YOU are just a braindead pathetic fucking boomer who is eternally stuck in the past completely wrong and is irrelevant dust.
Based. I have a similar distaste for adventure "games". Though they can be fine if you think of them as interactive media, not games, instead.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Modern games are basically all Candy-Crush clones. Obviously Loom and Candy-Crush belong to different media.

btw, i had a thought: BOOMERS who are jerking off 40 year old garbage consumer entertainment products made for money are as PATHETIC and DISGUSTING as ONLYFANS PAYPIGS
its the same crippling mental illness they have

YOU SCUM
SHOULD
BE
FUCKING
KILLED!

im not joking, you should do the planet a favor and seize to exist!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Oh look!
Another one of these fucking threads

AGAIN

It doesn't look even half as stupid as it would if it was a 1:1 replica of this but with a photorealistic Kefka laughing exactly on this pose.
Photorealistic graphics wouldn't work because they aren't suited for FF6 tone and artstyle
They would have to be stylized in a manner that suits those elements
You mention FF7 remake, but that game isn't photorealistic either
Sure the graphical fidelity is high, but that doesn't mean they aren't stylized - the colors are vibrant, the enviroments and creatures are fantastical and the character designes are straight out of anime (like the original)
Try and convince someone younger this is the most epic scene ever:
Wouldn't be as much of problem as you think, plenty of younger people play games like europa universalis and fifa's career mode which are closer to excel than Ultima
hybrid and different medium
No it's still very much the same medium, it's just the visuals are more abstract

Abstraction > simulation
Depends on the game
This is why you never get this "dreamlike" feeling when playing interactive movies such as BG3, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, becsuse they are oversimulated
Of the top of my head:
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Pathologic HD, Pathologic 2, The Void, Northern Journey, Paratropic
In conclusion, this is a you problem - as in, you barely play videogames

Graphics peaked during PS2 era and did not need to get any better.
Did we really need more polygons than this?
Yes because certain game experiences can't be created with such graphics
Take RDR2 and KCD for example
Two games with a clear focus on simulationism and historical accuracy. Game whose atmosphere and aesthetics benefit greatly from Realism
If guys think those qualities could've been achieved with 2005 graphcis, then you're delusional

That's why you don't show what's in the box:
That's meant for particular moments
It's not something that should be done all the time, specially not in a visual medium

There is a reason why this doesn't happen
I meant to say graphics are inversely proportional to gameplay.
This is only true in your head

Modern blobbers typically occupy an uncanny valley between high abstraction and realistic presentation. I take one look at something like this and lose all interest:
The problem here is like you say, the presentation doesn't match the gameplay's quality
That however does not imply realistic presentation is universally bad and that abstract presentations are suitable for any type of game

There are no layers of hidden bullshit intentions
Somehow I doubt that
Also you're now contradicting your op (tutorial hint: look up the meaning fo the word symbolic)

And that is why I have no interest in playing games made by big dev.
Most great games released after 2000 were made by big dev...

Page 5, when the niggers have finally arrived on the thread. Pack it up boys
If you make another one of these threads, I am going find you and beat you with a Monica Lewinsky body pillow rabbi Clinton

Last edited:

who is worse:
old garbage shit eating boomers stuck in the past when their cocks semiworked or batshit fucking insane weeb cucks?
yEFBqUS.png

ps: i just paid 20 bucks to train a network on a gpu and only shit came out! greate

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
There is less difference between a movie, a tiktok video, and a power point presentation, than between many videogames of different generations (or even between videogames of different genres in the same generation). Yes, all of them are moving images with sound, but no one will aggregate them in the same kind of media. So why we do that in the case of videogames?

It's not. PS2 was released in 2000, which is the gen that killed all the great games.
but ps2 didn't, i recall several games who strove to be original and new. x-box killed everything, with its endless droves of retards preaching the most banal shit boring fps as the best thing since pussy. i point my finger at halo as the harbinger of decline.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The PS2 was a transition console. Less powerful than the X-Box, it still forced a bit of creativity and ingenuity, like just a more poweful PS1.

Another way to interpret the situation is that in the early 2000 eastern developers still maintained some old school creativity, but they released mainly for the PS2. Conversely, western developer were the first to embrace the new paradigm of decline, and they released games mainly for the X-Box. As a proof of this, the worse PS2 games where the ones developed by western developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom