Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Men of War

Shoelip

Arbiter
So I read it's supposed to come out in Q1 09 or something, and that it's vastly improved over Faces of War and Soldiers: Heores of World War II. Anyone know anything more about it? I've seen a couple of trailers but that's about it.

Also, on a completely different topic, what kind of game would it be if it were called "Women of War"?

entertainer

Arbiter
It's improved FoW, certainly not improved Soldiers. They still could not resist copying the arcade crap from coh, but the missions are better, longer and more "epic" like the last mission in Fow(Louvain).

There are developer diaries on dms forums about various features with screenshots.

Well the game is uber modable and has coop, and thats what keeps me and my friends modding, creating missions and playing it. :cool:

LCJr.

Erudite
Thanks for the link to the dev diaries. Any idea on where they're at with European and North American publishing? The only demo I've seen so far is in Russian.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Shoelip said:
Also, on a completely different topic, what kind of game would it be if it were called "Women of War"?

A game where you control female suicide bombers is Israel. You get points for every jew you kill and a bonus multiplier for successful bombings. You are penalized for killing arabs or german tourists. The game will be played from a pseudo-isometric perspective in various locations, like illegal settlements or Tel Aviv. You have to avoid IDF patrols and use stealth tactics to get to a good place for blowing yourself up like a café or a cinema. The more successful your attacks are, the more oppression will the israelis exert on palestine and you will get more/better bombers.

The goal of the game is to drive the jews back into the sea.

Phalanx01

Novice
Didn't know Al Quaida (or whatever it is) entered the game devving scene.

But yes it isn't exactly a runnerup for game of the year, altho I do like the idea of those Russian sniper babes!

DemonKing

Arcane
Well I love CoH to death but I found Soldiers pretty disappointing (especially compared to something like the Commandos series) - just too hard, too little character and too repetitive.

I will give a Men of War demo a go, but otherwise will wait for some reviews/player feedback before plunging in.

DemonKing

Arcane
entertainer said:
DemonKing said:
Well I love CoH to death

DemonKing said:
just too hard, too little character and too repetitive.

makes sense

Sorry I make no apologies for loving CoH - still the best RTS game out there IMO.

I like Commandos and the Close Combat series too, and I don't think they were exactly "easy" to master if you want to be a snob about these things...I just found Soldiers was hard to the point of frustrating as opposed to hard to the point of rewarding to overcome.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Soldiers was cool, it was a little ridiculous sometimes (here's three guys, take this village and watch for the counter attack!)

I really liked the feel of it though, losing a soldier in combat felt like the end of the world. The tanks were also handled pretty well IMO.

The thing I hated was the management. Ordering units around like a normal RTS would definitely get you killed, outside of direct control it was very hard to play the game I found.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom