Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic book I

Saxon1974

Prophet
Im a big fan of MMII, and I have been undecided on whether I wanna play book I or not.

I have heard that there is no compass so its very difficult to find your way around or to map anything.

Anyone played it recently and what do you think? I love old school games and dont mind mapping or old school graphics or interface, but not having a compass might be a bit much even for me. I do remember playing this game on hours on end as a kid though, so Im thinking of maybe playing it again.

I think this was discussed a bit a while back but I can't find the thread. I think Jasede was playing it on the mac a while back?

I got an apparently working C64 version that works on vice here:

http://www.c64games.de/phpseiten/spiele ... ummer=3121

Only thing Im not sure about is: How many disks are there supposed to be? I found a different download somewhere else that had 5 disks, but this only have 4. Don't want to start game and get a ways into and find out its missing a disk.

http://www.c64games.de/phpseiten/spiele ... ummer=3121

Redlands

Arcane
I started playing the game a while ago, and was going to restart the game tonight.

I'm 99% sure that there is a spell which gives you your heading; but as long as you keep track of how many turns you make, etc. it's not too bad. But I haven't played the whole game yet, so I don't know if it gets more confusing, but I wouldn't think it would get too much worse, since there's that spell. It's a level 1 mage/wizard/whatever spelll (i.e. not cleric), and you'd probably want one in your party anyway since there are 6 classes and a party of 6.

I played the PC version, so I can't help you with that.

But who doesn't want to play such a SOLID! game? It's IMPASSABLE! to resist the charms of fighting a whole bunch of savage shrews.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a level 1 spell that gives you your heading, yes. The game is also very huge. And very hard. This was before the days of playtesting. Or maybe it was in the days when people were a lot more patient- in any case you'll likely reload an estimated 1000 times as you play through it.

Oh yeah, and good luck winning it without a walkthrough- just like in Ultima IV, keeping notes is imperative. The puzzles aren't all that easy either. One even requires you to map the whole dungeon level out.

Oh yes, mapping. You'll have to do that. That, or be good at brain-mapping, IE, able to walk around the 64x64 maps just by yout intuition- it's an ability you develop when you play old-school RPGs a lot. (This ability won't help you in Wizardry IV though...)

And the Mac version I played because it has the nicest interface and is the most easy on the eyes. I like old, but not ancient.

MountainWest

Scholar
Jasede, have you tried the snes-version of Wizardry 1-3: "Story of Llylgamyn"? I was wondering about the translation (read somewhere that it was 90% translated) and whether or not they've kept the "game" intact and only updated the graphics.

EDIT: A quick search with the famous Codex Search Tool of Wonders led me to this: Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (J) (NP) [T+Eng1.00_AGTP].smc. So there's an English version at least.

The question with the gameplay remains though. I don't want to play a game that's been changed other than graphically (including a better interface of course).

Pretty:
wiz-snes.png

Less pretty:
appleII_wizardry_1.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never played the SNES version.

However, I trust HOTU: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3384. It made Top Dog, so I am imagining that the gameplay is exactly the same (including the high difficulty). There will be one change though: you don't need to know all the spells by heart and type them in anymore.

It also has the most beautiful title-screen I have ever seen.

Oh, here's a gameplay change: The spell Dumapic shows a MAP OF THE DUNGEON LEVEL OMFG. No more mapping on graph paper!

Mareus

Magister
Finaly I ll be able to play Wizardry 1-3 without getting blood in my eyes from that horrible black-white screen.

MountainWest

Scholar
Jasede said:
Oh, here's a gameplay change: The spell Dumapic shows a MAP OF THE DUNGEON LEVEL OMFG. No more mapping on graph paper!

Fuck, I like mapping - nothing beats starting in the middle of a graph paper only to see how the map continues beyond the edge an hour later . Seriously though, the mapping slows down the pace and while drawing the lines your're (or at least I am) actually playing the game more in your head than on the screen. It makes for more immersion than any fancy graphics can ever hope to achieve.

Oh well, I don't have to use it I guess... but with the option there it'll be hard to resist.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This makes me want a gameboy/SNES version of Wizardry 4, with the same awesome graphics. It would at least make the torment look good.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jasede said:
There's a level 1 spell that gives you your heading, yes. The game is also very huge. And very hard. This was before the days of playtesting. Or maybe it was in the days when people were a lot more patient- in any case you'll likely reload an estimated 1000 times as you play through it.

Oh yeah, and good luck winning it without a walkthrough- just like in Ultima IV, keeping notes is imperative. The puzzles aren't all that easy either. One even requires you to map the whole dungeon level out.

Oh yes, mapping. You'll have to do that. That, or be good at brain-mapping, IE, able to walk around the 64x64 maps just by yout intuition- it's an ability you develop when you play old-school RPGs a lot. (This ability won't help you in Wizardry IV though...)

And the Mac version I played because it has the nicest interface and is the most easy on the eyes. I like old, but not ancient.

Well at least if there is a heading spell I will probably give the game a shot, although I doubt I will finish it. I actually enjoy mapping but not sure I wanna map a 64x64 grid, in the bard's tale games the maps were like 22x22 so not too tough to map.

I have said it a million times, these old games while crude by graphics and interace standards aren't very good, just have something that sucks me in to the game world that today's game just dont have.

Is there any story line at all? Is it true you can only have 1 quest at a time?

Saxon1974

Prophet
MountainWest said:
Jasede, have you tried the snes-version of Wizardry 1-3: "Story of Llylgamyn"? I was wondering about the translation (read somewhere that it was 90% translated) and whether or not they've kept the "game" intact and only updated the graphics.

EDIT: A quick search with the famous Codex Search Tool of Wonders led me to this: Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (J) (NP) [T+Eng1.00_AGTP].smc. So there's an English version at least.

The question with the gameplay remains though. I don't want to play a game that's been changed other than graphically (including a better interface of course).

Pretty:
wiz-snes.png

Excellent suggestion mountain west! I haven not played any wizardy pre-V due to the wire frame graphics and I have a SNES so I think I will try and find this one!

Less pretty:
appleII_wizardry_1.gif

MountainWest

Scholar
Excellent suggestion mountain west! I haven not played any wizardy pre-V due to the wire frame graphics and I have a SNES so I think I will try and find this one!

Unless your're fluent in Japanese I think you'll be better of with downloading Zsnes or snes 9.x and the translated rom. Haven't checked yet which version HotU links to, but I'd guess the translated one.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
Jasede said:
Oh, not 64x64 maps, 16x16. My bad.

Ah, now that I can live with.

Did you finish the game??

I've finished M&M1. It's a solid, good game. I used a C64 emulator. Save states saved me. I tried the NES version too, but that was very different, a little consolish.

Saxon1974

Prophet
theverybigslayer said:
Saxon1974 said:
Jasede said:
Oh, not 64x64 maps, 16x16. My bad.

Ah, now that I can live with.

Did you finish the game??

I've finished M&M1. It's a solid, good game. I used a C64 emulator. Save states saved me. I tried the NES version too, but that was very different, a little consolish.

Did you use Vice? In using save states, I assume you mean so you can save outside of the INN? I dont usually like to use cheats, but if its easy to get lost and die I might use them so i dont lose lots of time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I played without savestates. It's a little tedious but nothing too bad. Makes you tough and all that. And also my Mac emulator didn't have them anyway.

I nearly finished the game except for the last place because I couldn't be bothered grinding my characters to the minimum level you need to be to finish the game.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Any class recommendations for MMI before I get started? Are there any that are particularly useful? Any that are not?

How's the rouge class in this game? Worth it?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
One of each will do fine.
The rogue is only there to untrap chests.

Please note that failing to do so usually gets the full party killed with any chests worth looting.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jasede said:

Please note that failing to do so usually gets the full party killed with any chests worth looting.

Ok thanks. I like the rogue class but in some games its not really necessary, I think I could have played through bards tale without my rogue.

Saxon1974

Prophet
This game really makes you figure out what your supposed to do on your own, and I like it that way. I have been walking around and mapping the first city and the cavern underneath and this isn't the easiest game in the beginning (And I mean that in a good way, a challenge is good).

I hate the dam sprites though, they keep casting curse of me and making me unable to land blows on them. Does casting Bless counter the effects of their curse spell?

Binary

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
Jasede said:

Ok thanks. I like the rogue class but in some games its not really necessary, I think I could have played through bards tale without my rogue.

You can't finish BT3 without one

About MM1 I'm not sure, but in MM3 you had the Ninja, which was like the Rogue... only better?!

Saxon1974

Prophet
I just realized I only gave my fighters a speed rating of 10 and 12, which means most monsters get to attack before they do. I wonder if I should start over and go for high speed ratings. Then again, I dont want to mess with stats to much and have uber characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom