Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic book I

Binary

Liturgist
theverybigslayer said:
Binary said:
About MM1 I'm not sure, but in MM3 you had the Ninja, which was like the Rogue... only better?!
Ninja has lower thief skill but it's a better warrior.

I confess I never had a situation in MM3 where the Ninja failed me on his thief role - but then I never finished the game.

mondblut

Arcane
In World of Xeen there was a throne a thief could sit on and receive like a million xp. Anyone else would get killed, including ninja.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You will have a hard time with these speed ratings.
The fighters should be quick, 15+, the wizard the fastest (Speed at max) so he can fireball monsters before they attack, and the healer/cleric/priest should have the lowest speed (so he can heal in the first round all the damage the monsters caused with 1 heal all spell after they had their turn).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea I think I might start over, oh well at least I won't have to redraw my maps which probably take the most amount of time.

Even thought he combat is text only, I like how it works in this game. The handicap factor is a nice touch, although it says its basically a speed modifier it doesn't seem to work exactly that way all the time.

Must be why Im not very good at hitting Sprites because they have a speed handicap + 5 or 6 usually.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Wow, it took like an hour and a half to re-roll better characters. Especially the Paladin, getting a Paladin that had a high speed factor is nigh impossible. I hate to settle for one with 16 might and 15 speed but with a somewhat low accuracy of 9.

Zakhal

Liturgist
mondblut said:
theverybigslayer said:
There is a japanese PC version New Age of Llylgamyn (Wizardry4-5).
And Llylgamyn Saga (Wizardry1-2-3) for PC:
http://twpa.net/twpa/llylsaga/

Whoa...where do I get it? Not the translation, games themselves.

Jump into timecapsule and travel back time 10 years and then buy a plane ticket to japan. Well theres one site which calls itself "abandonware" but Im not so sure whether it qualifies so I wont post the link. But if you needs it I can pm it.

Im currently playing this - wiz1 and its definetly the best version of wiz1-3. There is a psx version too but its not totally translated and I like the pc version more. The psx version though you might be able to get from ebay. I saw som japanese guy selling one three weeks ago.

Im also playing MM1 one currently. NES version that is. Its mostly same with some difference from pc version like character creation. But it has the plus that I can play it from sofa with a gamepad. With the later versions Im gonna go for PC though.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Zakhal said:
Im currently playing this - wiz1 and its definetly the best version of wiz1-3.
Can you import your party from Wiz1 to Wiz2 in the japanese version?
There's an 'Arena' and 'Leave City' in the menu, why?
Have you managed to find the 1.10 version patch?

Zakhal

Liturgist
theverybigslayer said:
Can you import your party from Wiz1 to Wiz2 in the japanese version?
Yes thers another program for it in the gamedir. I allready tried it and it works.
There's an 'Arena' and 'Leave City' in the menu, why?
I have no idea. I never use them or need them. Clicking arena seems to CDT the last time I tried it.
Have you managed to find the 1.10 version patch?
Nope. The mainsite is gone and the file is nowhere to be found. Perhaps som japanese filesite if you can speak japanese.

Im almost finished with first wiz without any problems (excluding the arena) so perhaps its not needed.

Saxon1974

Prophet
For a moment i thought a group of monsters had some decent AI in this game. I was fighting some Barbarians and the ones that were injured all moved to the back where I couldn't hit them, but then next round some of them moved back to the front so I think it was just random.

Combat is still pretty strategic in that certain monsters have different abilities and you deal with differently though.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Can someone tell me how to use Fireball spell in this game? Everytime I cast it, whether indoors or outdoors its flames my own party members as well as the foes.

There is no distance factor in this game either so Im not sure how use it correctly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Memory might be faulty (disclaimer)

Fireball hits the first six battle units.

Say you have a party of Hero A-D and fight Monsters A-D.

You encounter:

Monster A
Monster B
Monster C
Monster D

and cast Fireball on Monster A. It will hit Monster A-D AS WELL AS HERO A-B because they are among the first six.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, the manual just says it hits 1-5 monsters not in hand to hand combat. It seems like it always hits my party first, but it just might do that before it gets to the monsters when my party has some people in the first 5 or 6. I will mess around with that thank you Jasede, you have become my M&M expert.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh now I know. "not in HTH combat" means not in melee range. That means, if your fighters could hit the first group of monsters you target this at, your group will get hit. You can only use it against monsters who are not yet in melee range, IE, not yet able to target you in melee (or be targeted in melee).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea that would make sense, Thanks Jasede.

I find it interesting how good the variety of spells are in these older games. They are not just combat related. There are spells for taking you up and out of a dungeon, spells that make you fly, spells that create food, spells that protect against the elements, walk on water spells etc.....

Sad that games today seemed to abandon this formula and just create combat attack spells. Im not super fond of the D&D spells either, they are ok but pretty much they are all either combat offensive or defensive.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
On a related update, I think "hand to hand" range is enemy ranks 1-3. So if you encounter a group with less than 4 enemy ranks, don't even think about casting Fireball. It's made for when you encounter 7 groups of enemies since casting it on group 4 will fry 4, 5, 6 and 7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom