Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge

DefJam101

Arcane
Is there a contrast in the art design? You know, shitty slums and a darker underground set against a pristine white city? Or is everything all bright and shiny? It works well, in a way, but you still need some variation in art design.

Heresiarch

Prophet
That Faith chick is fugly. Why must Asian chicks always portrayed with sharp faces and sharp eyes?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EA actually is promising. First they release Spore which is dumbed down and childish but very playable game. Then Dead Space, which is good shooter. This Mirror Edge thing looks good so far. They released Red Alert 3 and that's decent real time stategy with some fun. They sure milking NFS, football fans but fans don't mind.
In before EA buys Bethesda, ID Software, Crytek. And then fuck shit out of Ubisoft.

I'm a bit concerned with their latest DRM Securom that sends user's GPS coordinates to EA headquarters, but... oh, well.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Heresiarch said:
That Faith chick is fugly. Why must Asian chicks always portrayed with sharp faces and sharp eyes?

Play some Japanese games. They tend to make their Asians look white.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
Is there a contrast in the art design? You know, shitty slums and a darker underground set against a pristine white city? Or is everything all bright and shiny? It works well, in a way, but you still need some variation in art design.

There are some underground areas that are pretty nice, and you do go inside a surprising amount. There's never much differentiation of the color scheme though. Except for the sewers and subway tunnels everything is white with bright highlights, hyper-clean, and covered in bloom.

The game world is supposed to be very 1984-ish, which always has said to me: "clean public face, with nastiness hidden everywhere." It would make sense for everything to be all clean and sparkly at street level, but up on the rooftops of high-rises? the docks district? The inside of a cargo freighter? Give me a break.

S_Verner

Scholar
denizsi said:
No, because it's linear. What's the point of such a degree of dynamism over movement when you aren't exactly encouraged to improvise? I'm sure there will be the occasional choices of "go either direction from here", to reach the same place, and that will be it.

It sure looks appealing though.

Actually, there are, the runner vision can be

1.turned off

2.inaccurate as to the fastest route

also, it's a trilogy(note the fact that the ending takes the place of a news story), they have stated that they will make the controls more complex, but this shit is second nature to Faith.

@M.A.:Yeah, the inside of the cargo freighter being shiny is bullshit, but politicians with iron fists, sort of make it seem reasonable.

Shouldn;t be the entire ship, though.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Mister Arkham said:
The game world is supposed to be very 1984-ish, which always has said to me: "clean public face, with nastiness hidden everywhere." It would make sense for everything to be all clean and sparkly at street level, but up on the rooftops of high-rises? the docks district? The inside of a cargo freighter? Give me a break.

London in 1984 is hardly pristine and clean. It's a dark and scary place in ruin.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Talby said:
Mister Arkham said:

London in 1984 is hardly pristine and clean. It's a dark and scary place in ruin.

Yeah, I kind of miss-spoke. It's not quite 1984, but the setting is supposed to evoke that sort of authoritarian feel, with oppressive surveillance and a police presence on every street-corner (or roof-top). Very safe and very secure with an obvious undercurrent of apathy towards human life. It's the sort of place that should only ever be pretty on a superficial "everything is fine and you are too," level... but EVERYTHING in the game is pretty.

S_Verner said:
also, it's a trilogy(note the fact that the ending takes the place of a news story), they have stated that they will make the controls more complex, but this shit is second nature to Faith.

This thing is starting to piss me off. What is this trend of creating franchises before the product is even a verifiable success? It makes a certain, peculiar type of business sense... but it makes the end product self-important and ultimately lackluster.

I finished the game tonight, assuming that you can actually finish a game without an ending. This basically does play like the first act of something larger, and when you finally hit the end of the game ti doesn't so much as end as just stop. And while that makes more sense with it literally being a first act, the thing is that while the game-play is fun on a quick-paced, seat-of-your-pants level, I'm not sure that I would play another one...

Why? There just doesn't seem to be the material there for it. They already blew their conventional second and third act plot twists, the characters that survive aren't that interesting (sorry, but Faith is so flat she might as well not even be there), the writing isn't that great, and I just can't see any way to advance the game-play in a way to make it a significant change.

And really, can you really carry your epic near-future light-sci-fi drama/political epic on the idea of parkour alone? I'd be pretty damn surprised.

Also, the game doesn't end with a news story, nor does it take the place of one. The game ends on a roof-top after a hugely anti-climactic action sequence, with Faith getting a big weepy hug when there should be thirty guys, who were there thirty seconds ago, filling her with bullets. That isn't to say that there isn't a news story, but let's be fair, it's just a recap of the last two levels and it plays more than halfway through the credits: well after most people have turned the game off.

Destroid

Arcane
Should have made an Aeon flux game so you can slaughter thousands of hapless henchmen while you jump across rooftops.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Heresiarch said:

Play some Japanese games. They tend to make their Asians look white.
They're white supremacists.

EDIT: Actually, the mention of 1984 really makes me hope for a properly done V game. The kind of game that drives home the fact that you're playing sociopath who happens to have a goal that can be agreed on.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Vaarna_Aarne said:
EDIT: Actually, the mention of 1984 really makes me hope for a properly done V game. The kind of game that drives home the fact that you're playing sociopath who happens to have a goal that can be agreed on.

I would cum all over that in an instant.
The closest we have is HUUUUUUUURGH Assassin's Creed. And that's not even remotely close.

S_Verner

Scholar
Mister Arkham said:
And really, can you really carry your epic near-future light-sci-fi drama/political epic on the idea of parkour alone? I'd be pretty damn surprised.

The rumormill says the next game will be about a bicycle messenger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom