Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MiSTer FPGA Retro Gaming Setup

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

You can run old games with Windows 95 by just plugging in a mouse and keyboard. This gives us access not only to games of that period, but older DOS games all running on a hardware FPGA.

The display output is apparently really good as well. Has anyone tried this?

Azdul

Magister
Nowadays you can buy prebuilt complete MiSTer systems. But where is the fun in spending 500$+ and having machine that even comes with HDMI output ? You may as well buy PS5.

You can buy MiSTer older brother - MiST - at quarter of the price - or you can buy basic MiSTer board - and extend it yourself. And learn MUCH more about newer and older hardware that you've ever wanted to know.

MiST firmware update went wrong - and I've just spend a morning fixing soft-bricked machine using SoC programmer. Previously I had to learn a lot about CRT TVs before I've finally got a picture on screen. And study how multiple joystick buttons can be mapped to DE-9 (Atari) port.

Once hardware works more or less like you've expected - endless fun of learning quirks of hundreds of emulated machines begins. Discovering that to load a game on Spectrum 48k you need to press J, P, P, Enter is anything but trivial ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom