Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Modern Flight Sims

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, could I get a nice heads-up on all the basics on Open Falcon, starting from where to get and what?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
hoodoo said:
How much fiddling is there?

More than in stand alone sim, but it's ok.

RaXz said:
I bought P3 by the way, I was sold. It stands for something that it even got TrackIR support while CS3 doesn't have it.

Maybe you could report back what improvement it brings (especially SP campaign, installation and stability).

RaXz said:
The last WW1 flight game I played indepth was Knights of the Sky on the Amiga.

Look, and I always thought it was for PC. Wings was the only WW1 sim I remember on the Amiga. Anyone remember Blue Max on the C64 by the way?

c64_bluemax.gif

Jaja mein Herr, that was really my first WW1 flight sim.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Vaarna_Aarne said:
So, could I get a nice heads-up on all the basics on Open Falcon, starting from where to get and what?

There is a doc folder in the Open Falcon directory, there is a newbie guide over there. But there really isn't a quick and dirty guide. You'll have to learn it step by step, the training missions in Tactical Engagements is a nice place to start.

Red Viper is easier to get into as far as I can see, there are a lot more video tutorials for it. Like in this channel.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vic ... iew=videos

Try to start out simple like takeoffs and landings, and maybe ramp starts to learn the avionics.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I was talking more about the technical side of things, like where to get it, what's the current version and are there any tricks with the installation.

I mean, I learned Victoria without a tutorial. I think learning this would be right up in my idea of good time spent.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
GlobalExplorer said:
RaXz said:
I bought P3 by the way, I was sold. It stands for something that it even got TrackIR support while CS3 doesn't have it.

Maybe you could report back what improvement it brings (especially SP campaign, installation and stability).

Will do, I don't have a really highend computer so maybe that's for the better. At least, my 3D card is a bit old (X1900XT) besides that I am a bit up to date with a E8400 with 4gb ram.

GlobalExplorer said:
RaXz said:
The last WW1 flight game I played indepth was Knights of the Sky on the Amiga.

Look, and I always thought it was for PC. Wings was the only WW1 sim I remember on the Amiga. Anyone remember Blue Max on the C64 by the way?

c64_bluemax.gif

Jaja mein Herr, that was really my first WW1 flight sim.

Mine too, played it a lot at a friends house, that game rocked!

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I was talking more about the technical side of things, like where to get it, what's the current version and are there any tricks with the installation.

I mean, I learned Victoria without a tutorial. I think learning this would be right up in my idea of good time spent.

Open Falcon current version is 4.7, there is a install guide on the Global Falcon forum. But you'll have to register to see it.

http://www.f4support.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5475

Yes, learning is part of the fun. :)

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Over Flanders Fields is pretty fun, installed Phase 2. Yes, I am a bit impatient. Already got my butt kicked over the frontlines, saw nothing when I flew when I suddenly spotted two juicy bogeys somewhat under, dove to them and attacked. It was a big mistake that I assumed that they were the only enemy planes, pretty soon I got swarmed. At least my pilot died fighting, he was already dead before the plane hit the ground.

Burning Bridges

What plane are you flying? I love the Nieuport 17 and Pfalz DIII. The Fokker VII also, comes closest to what one would call an uber-plane. The Pup flies nice but feels a bit flimsy.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
The RAF SE5a.

air_172a_030t.jpg

It was pretty awesome in comparision with the plane I began with. That was an Airco DH2, they are a bit snailish. The Fokker VII looks great, can't wait to fly it.

Burning Bridges

Installed the patch yesterdays and flew for some minutes. I have no idea how to make the 3d city objects show up, but the new terrain textures are a definite improvement.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
It looks pretty swell..

I have Over Flanders Fields Phase 3 now, it feels a lot more polished than Phase 2. And you now really feel that there is a war going on around you, in Phase 2 the feeling was to a lesser extent. When you start with a lower rank you'll have to stay in formation with the flight leader, it felt a bit odd in Phase 2 that even though you were a rookie you was always the flight leader. Now you have to stay in formation with the squadron, pretty fun relative flying, it really helps to get to know how you and the plane flies.

The last mission I had to scramble with the Squadron and guard against a imminent attack, after a while I finally came across a small British squadron, I managed to shoot one on fire, I followed the two seater plane when it made a slow spiral to the ground and shot it some more. After a while both of the pilots bailed out and went in freefall to their deaths. I guess they couldn't stand the fire in their faces anymore. :twisted:

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
I get my butt kicked, 2 pilots dead in a short timespan. The last game I got in a huge dogfight with about 20 planes. My wing was flying Albatros D.III's, and Camels for the English, man those are a bitch in the right hand. One got on my tail, and whatever tricks I did he stayed behind me, I even skimmed the treetops. After a while he shot my pilot.

The AI in Phase 3 is so much better it's scary, it wasn't that much trouble in Phase 2. Really a awesome and immersive sim, I like it even more than Falcon, and that's saying something. I've gotten tired of all the button pushing and learning the avionics, I rather fly nonaerodynamic planes with real close dogfights. I already can't count it on one hand how many times I stalled close at the ground, and that I have to take a break after a intense dogfight.

It's pretty discomforting when you hear your plane groaning under the stress of high G turns.

Burning Bridges

Glad you're liking P3. I'll order it myself eventually, towards the end of the year.

I agree WWI sims feel some sort of a relief if you have flown high tech sims before.

It's pretty discomforting when you hear your plane groaning under the stress of high G turns.

I remember the creaking was a special trait of the Albatri, in Phase 2 at least. As long as I handled it like I was used to from the other planes, it sounded like it could fall apart any moment.

Vidken

Novice
RaXz said:
The AI in Phase 3 is so much better it's scary, it wasn't that much trouble in Phase 2. Really a awesome and immersive sim, I like it even more than Falcon, and that's saying something. I've gotten tired of all the button pushing and learning the avionics, I rather fly nonaerodynamic planes with real close dogfights. I already can't count it on one hand how many times I stalled close at the ground, and that I have to take a break after a intense dogfight.
This has been my exact experience so far. OFF arrived a couple days ago, and I've been playing obsessively since. It's pulled me away from OpenFalcon.

OFF has been kicking my ass. I really like the permadeath and sense of danger. The longest pilot I've played lasted 22 days, but only really because he was hospitalized for 13 days. Oddly enough, I haven't died because of being shot down in a dogfight. It's mostly been collisions, both with my own wingmen and crashing into the guy I was chasing when he stalled out in mid-air right in front of me.

Shooting down some enemies and actually making it home seems like such a rare accomplishment. Usually it's been a case of the dogfight going down to tree level and getting raked with ground fire, or getting trounced on the way home with no ammo left.

In one mission, my wingmen all were shot down and I was left with two Albatross who fucked some of my shit up. I managed to limp halfway home just out of range before discovering one of them was missing, so I risked it and just barely managed to down the guy, with next to no ammo and fuel left. It turns out the other Albatross was shot down from ground fire.

Awesome sim. :)

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Glad you like it too. :)

My last pilot died in the same situation, I was a bit too greedy and just wanted put a little more lead in a german. He stalled and I couldn't do shit, so that was another pilot with 0,2 flighthours. A lesson well learned, it's not about killing as much as you can, but more about survival.

Not a big problem when dogfights get down to treelevel, except for the lowlevel stalls that you can't feel coming without a forcefeedback joystick, but it's a big problem when you are over enemy territory. If that's the case, you can better wait till the diving plane goes back up, and that way you keep the altitude advantage.

I've watched some WW1 movies, like The Blue Max and Aces High, it makes the sim even more immersive.

Burning Bridges

Sounds like Archie is now absolutely deadly? I think this should open the eyes of many people, who used to think WW1 aviation was all about dogfighting. According to 'Winged Victory' (Camel) pilots were never concerned about the circusses, but they didn't like the ground fire.

Still haven't ordered P3 btw, but the positive feedback is noticed.

Burning Bridges

Just saw this on another site. cockpits in Storm of War:

oleg.jpg

grab0004h.jpg

though I can't make sense of this one, it looks kind of dreadful imo. more like a model of a pacific island or something, but not England:

grab0003t.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom