Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Modern games are too long

BehindTimes

Novice
DraQ said:
Massive shitstorm detected on an intercept course, repeat, massive shitstorm detected on an intercept course.

And why is that? Many of the previous RPGs, even dating back into the mid 1990's, could be beaten in under 10 hours if you knew what you were doing. There's a difference between extending a game exploring, and learning, than making it so you can't possibly beat a game in under 20 hours.

And I'm sorry that I graduated university and am in the world where I don't have time to devote hours a day to an RPG. World of Warcraft type experiences where they require a chunk 2+ hours in dungeons are definately out of the question. I might get a chunk of time like that maybe once every month or two. And why should I be excluded from RPGs because of this? I'm sorry to say, but the average age of the video gamer is rising, and while a decade ago it might have been true that they were college kids with hours of spare time, today, the average gamer is probably closer to me with less spare time than the child with lots of spare time. And being that people around my age actually make money, and are buying the games, they probably will be catered too more.

Worm King

Scholar
BehindTimes said:
DraQ said:
Massive shitstorm detected on an intercept course, repeat, massive shitstorm detected on an intercept course.

And why is that? Many of the previous RPGs, even dating back into the mid 1990's, could be beaten in under 10 hours if you knew what you were doing. There's a difference between extending a game exploring, and learning, than making it so you can't possibly beat a game in under 20 hours.

And I'm sorry that I graduated university and am in the world where I don't have time to devote hours a day to an RPG. World of Warcraft type experiences where they require a chunk 2+ hours in dungeons are definately out of the question. I might get a chunk of time like that maybe once every month or two. And why should I be excluded from RPGs because of this? I'm sorry to say, but the average age of the video gamer is rising, and while a decade ago it might have been true that they were college kids with hours of spare time, today, the average gamer is probably closer to me with less spare time than the child with lots of spare time. And being that people around my age actually make money, and are buying the games, they probably will be catered too more.

Have you heard of a new feature called "saving games"?

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
BehindTimes said:
I might get a chunk of time like that maybe once every month or two. And why should I be excluded from RPGs because of this?
You're saying that games should be shorter because you don't have time to play them?
That's pretty egoistic, you know.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
People who write articles like this generally don't pay for their own games because they review games as part of their job. They benefit from short games because it makes their job easier.

Also, playing games on consoles totally changes your opinion since you can rent them. If you belong to a service like gamefly, then it's nice to be able to finish up a game in a week so that you can get another one. The PC needs some kind of service that allows for games to be virtually rented so that you can play a game like Call of Duty 4 or Portal without paying full price and then not getting anything else out of it. Max Payne 2 is where I finally figured out I was never paying full price for a PC game again.

doctor_kaz said:
People who write articles like this generally don't pay for their own games because they review games as part of their job. They benefit from short games because it makes their job easier.

Also, playing games on consoles totally changes your opinion since you can rent them. If you belong to a service like gamefly, then it's nice to be able to finish up a game in a week so that you can get another one. The PC needs some kind of service that allows for games to be virtually rented so that you can play a game like Call of Duty 4 or Portal without paying full price and then not getting anything else out of it. Max Payne 2 is where I finally figured out I was never paying full price for a PC game again.

The Industry has the best of both worlds though; You pay full price, and you rent it as well! Don't you just adore the new DRM schemes being put in place these days? Fantastic!

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
doctor_kaz said:

Pirate a PC game, then rent a console game by the same developer and/or publisher. Beat the PC game and delete it, then return the rental. Clear conscience.

Phalanx01

Novice
Call me ancient or something like that, but back in the days games were WAY better. Sure you had the occasional crappy one but those were rather rare. Right now I'm playing Realms of the Haunted and Stonekeep (1996 released). If I compare those to games of now I can't shake the feeling that either devs got way more stupid or maybe us older gamers are more demanding?

Personally I blame console crap for the downgrading of PC games. Check out most of the new big budget games, nearly all of them are cross-platform and suffer from the basic console diseases such as being plagued by the dumbest AI or extremely limited gameplay. I say the good old days are still the best: a PC ONLY game market and a console only game market. Ports less crap to the PC.

And yes, my first computer was a Spectrum and I still own a Commodore C64. I'm an old geek...

Balor

Arcane
While I can agree that games nowaways suck and filled with boring and uninspired content...
The solution should be NOT making them shorter, but making them suck less!
But, given that business model took over, it's not realy happenning.

I might not have lots of time to play games too, but it does not mean that I would prefer a 5-hour long game over a 30 hours long game.
First game will take me a week, second - a month. (Provided that they are GOOD, of course).
So what? Given how few and far between good games are, it's actually a good thing!

hiver

well, now you have Mirrors edge which is 5 hours long apparently.

Phalanx01

Novice
poocolator said:
Phalanx01 said:
And yes, my first computer was a Spectrum and I still own a Commodore C64. I'm an old geek...

Lucky bastard. One of my first games ever was Wolfenstein 3D.

Pong still rules tbh, can't beat the graphics & gameplay on that one!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom