Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mods for Neverwinter Nights.

Does anyone play them here, and what fun/dull fan mods can you name? Me, I love Tale of a Mage, hate Tales of the Sundering, and am torn between the two when I play Almraiven (how can one person make a mod with these wonderful areas and quests, and such soulless dialogue?).

Also, what's with this Planescape Trilogy, does a Torment fan need to smite the heretics, or rejoice at the Second Coming?

Worm King

Scholar
Do the persistent worlds still function with popularity after all this time?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Some of them do, specially considering how awful the multiplayer aspect of nwn2 is. Most persistent worlds never made it into the second game, that's why nwn1 still gets the majority of modules.

Starwars

Arcane
Early playtest version of Purgatorio (meaning not everything will be implemented in it) will be ready soon, like before Christmas. Might want to wait until it's "final" though since they haven't got everything implemented yet.

Almraiven is my favourite NWN mod. I played the follow-up called Shadewood, and while very different, it seemed really good as well. However, my computer screwed up before I could get to far into it.

Honor Among Thieves is good, but I feel it's horrendously slow and boring at the start.
Tales of Arterra is pretty good as well.

I really like Harp & Crysanthemum for NWN2 for what it is, a shorter fairly low level adventure. Not mindblowing roleplaying or anything like that, but I found it to be very well crafted overall. The recently released Fate of a City is also good, with some nice consequences here and there. On the downside, it gets a bit fed-exy though. But I quite liked it overall.

EDIT: The Conan mods are nice as well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Purgatorio is for NWN2. I never liked NWN1, so I cant recommend anything. I could recommend some decent NWN2 though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I still demand someone to do a Dances with Rogues LP. It's so bad.

Also, the quoted situation above is FULLY DISPLAYED WITH NWN1 GRAPHICS. As are all the rest.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I still demand someone to do a Dances with Rogues LP. It's so bad.

I played both the first and the second one (ARGH, ARGH, WHY DID I DO THAT?). I should've taken that opportunity to screencap a lot of the dialogue, but back then I didn't even know the Codex existed.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'll update the Mod Repository with Almraiven and Shadewood, even though I haven't played Shadewood yet.

Tortured Hearts 1 and 2 are good, but long and the quests can be very unforgiving.

Erebus

Arcane
My favorite NWN mods are Elegia Eternum and Excrucio Eternum. Both have very good writing, interesting characters, fantastic atmospheres and show a HUGE lot of imagination. If you like original, story-rich CRPGs, you should definitely give them a try.

Twilight and Midnight (another trilogy that, to my knowledge, was never finished) also have a well-developed story, although it's not as original (and you tend to play second fiddle to your dark elf companion). It has some very nice puzzles. Check it out if you don't hate playing a paladin.

Arandie is very well-written and set in a highly detailed world. It forces you to play a specific character (female thief-sorcerer), but she's fairly interesting and has a lot of interesting interactions with NPCs. Try it to play a well-developed, amoral heroine or try it because she has a lot of hot bisexual (but mostly lesbian) sexx0r.

Speaking of sex, "Sex and the single adventuress" also has a lot of it. Unlike Arandie, the mod is parodic (and written by a woman). It's pretty funny. Rather repetitive (you sometimes get monsters to fight for a change), but it's fairly short so it's not a huge problem. You probably won't play this one twice but if you're not above adventuring in a scanty dress, you could give it a try.

In french, I would also recommand the excellent Kosigan series. The mods are very well-written, have nice plots and good, historical atmospheres. The NPCs are very interesting and there's a lot of C&C. There's a lot of black and gray morality and you can be monstrous bastard if you feel like it. Give it a try if you can actually read french (or if the mod has somehow been well translated) and pissing off the King of France sounds like fun to you.

Smarts

Scholar
I thoroughly enjoyed The HeX Coda (same author as Elegia Eternum), definitely give that a look if you'd like to see time travel and magitech done NWN-style. If you're a fan of JRPGs, I would also recommend the Rose of Eternity two-parts-of-a-trilogy.

Someone actually managed to beat Sex and the Single Adventuress? I mean, all you do in the game is... have sex. With guys. On NWN engine. In darkness.

CheezDoodleS

Novice
David Xachaturian said:
Someone actually managed to beat Sex and the Single Adventuress? I mean, all you do in the game is... have sex. With guys. On NWN engine. In darkness.

What's not to like? :lol:

Erebus

Arcane
David Xachaturian said:

That's not all there is to it : first, you've got to find all of these guys (about 30 of them) and sometimes even convince them to have sex with you !

Okay, you probably need to be in the right mood (or maybe drunk) to play the mod for more than 10 minutes straight. I found it to be pretty funny, but playing it once is obviously more than enough.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Korgan said:
And the author is a convicted pedophile. True story, heard it somewhere around these parts.
Source?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom