Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview More fun quotes from DW Bradley

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href=http://www.cgonline.com>CG Online</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.cgonline.com/content/view/598/2/>interview</a> with DW Bradley of Dungeon Lords' fame. DW is still in denial and continues to stick with his story about the culmination, the genre improvement, and the overall betterment of mankind.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>First, can you tell us how the basic idea for Dungeon Lords came about?</b>
<br>
Dungeon Lords is the culmination of 20+ years experience making RPGs. There were a number of things we felt could be improved upon from previous games, and Dungeon Lords is an attempt to bring all of those improvements and refinements together.
<br>
<br>
<b>What can you tell us about the combat system?</b>
<br>
It’s a lot of fun! The idea was to actively involve the player in the combat, rather than just pointing the mouse at an enemy and clicking away madly to try and kill them. In Dungeon Lords, players will have different moves based on their choice of weapon(s) and so combat will be more of an individualized experience.
<br>
<br>
<b>What other gameplay elements will Dungeon Lords have?</b>
<br>
Dungeon Lords is a return to the days when RPGs had really strong narrative elements. If you’re looking for a game with an in-depth story, this is the one you want to play. However, we understand that many gamers enjoy faster action as well, and we think they’ll be pretty happy with the wide variety of realtime combat and magic elements at their disposal. Finally, because it’s always more fun to play with a friend (or friends) we also support co-operative multiplayer.</blockquote>
<br>
Yeah, everyone knows that fast action goes well with in-depth storytelling.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Fresh

Erudite
"David Bradley - There are 7 playable races in Dungeon Lords including the usual humans, elves and dwarves.."

What the hell is wrong with people? Ive had it with mofo elves and dwarfes. ORIGINALITY plz.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
David Bradley - We’re working hard to try and finish the game up properly and it’s going fairly well; the game is on schedule to be released in April.

Hope he means April 2007, unless the demo is a build from 2 years ago that shits not ready for prime time

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Though I may be the only person that wants to play this game (well, aside from Deathboy and the geezer beginning with 'L' that is), I must say that Im utterly uncovinced that it will have "a strong narrative" blah blah.

It will have a weak narrative, with sparse info-dumps, and lashings of full-on furry contact.
With or without dick-nippling. :wink:

Edit: I don't see why you can't have fast action juxtaposed with "in-depth storytelling". I just don't think this baby will have the second.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
DW sold out with all this action combat nonsense. 'Tis a shame really. For the most part I have absolutely no interest in this game. But all this talk about dick-nippled furries has some how got me intrigued. As long as they keep the bad voice acting a la W &W out of the game.

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
No, he TRIED to sell out - this garbage wont push more than 5000 units

And its pathetic to see that his attempt at mainstream is so far below the common denominator. But what is more pathetic is how retarded he sounds when he pimps it up at these interviews. He may as well be talking about a different game altogether - all you have to do is play this crap for about 10 minutes and you will feel the cold hard facts of reality swinging down to splatter this dung heap all over the place.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I'm still waiting for an RPG that allows to be either an alien with laser eyes, a zombie with a chainsaw for an arm, or Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Those would be some sweet races to play.
It puts the lotion on it's skin...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Saran said:
The idea of massacaring a village of dick nippled furries sounds pretty enjoyable.

But maybe thats just me.

Well, here's the thing.. You can only attack monsters in the game. I got too close to Simon the Messenger when I was getting attacked by wolves, and kept getting this, "I mean you no harm!" message. So, it's likely that if there are furry villages, you'll just have to put up with them.

bgillisp

Scholar
I find it hard to believe this game is, as he puts it, the culmination of 20+ years of work on RPG's. Seems he has not been learning much from his work so far. At least that is my opinion.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS

You all seem to be missing a key part of his response.

(snip) "Dungeon Lords is an attempt to bring all of those improvements and refinements together."

Phew, an attempt. Maybe next time around, eh Dee-Dubya?

DemonKing

Arcane
bgillisp said:
I find it hard to believe this game is, as he puts it, the culmination of 20+ years of work on RPG's. Seems he has not been learning much from his work so far. At least that is my opinion.

Darth Lucas produced Episode I after over 20 years' experience as a film-maker - which goes to show experience matters not when you're a senile old coot.

Hmm...

What Bradley is claiming:
Combat from Blade of Darkness mixed with narration from Planescape: Torment.

What he really means:
Combat from Gothic mixed with narration from Diablo 2.

What we can realistically expect:
Combat from Dungeon Siege mixed with narration from Pong.

On a more serious note, from what I've seen of screenshots, the characters do look pretty and their combat pose is somewhat menacing in a "Ooh, look at my shiny sword" kind of way. I might just pick this up, after hearing what the Codex has to say about it after its release.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
From the demo, its more like:
Combat from Rune with narration from Wizards and Warriors
...and bugs galour from everything he worked on previously

I might just pick this up, after hearing what the Codex has to say about it after its release.
Hehe. Oh well, you won't be getting it then :wink:

bgillisp

Scholar
Don't be so sure. While I am very unsure of this game myself, there is the chance it has improved since the demo was released. At least, we need to hope. Else the game will be total crap. Guess on April 20th or so we will all know.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hope? Why? I'd rather just get a game that's guaranteed not to suck instead of placing bets on this piece of trash.

bgillisp

Scholar
Maybe I am just an optimist?

Seriously, I wuld like to see it turn out well. But, based upon what I have heard so far, I have major doubts myself. I hate the idea of the action RPG, but had hopes it might have a decent story at least. If it did, I was going to get it once the price dropped to $20. Now, though, am not sure it is worth $5.

So far, I really know nothing about the story either. Does someone know something they could share?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Despite reservations/worries, I'm definitely getting it.
Going by developer comments at the DreamCatcher forums, feedback has been listened to and changes are being made. They even detail some of the differences between the final version and the demo - some are significant (as in, address the most common complaints I saw on this forum - such as monster spawning frequencies), some are not (e.g. tweaking the lock-picking timer).

I'm willing to take the chance. I may be nuts, but I have this feeling its gonna work out for me and I'll like it. (OKay, I AM nuts)
Anyway, maybe I'll write up a bit of a review and post it here, given that none of the big 'uns seem that keen on it. (well, more like "are guaranteed to hate it").
Edit: don't worry, I'll be brutally honest :wink:

bryce777

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
Hmm...

What Bradley is claiming:
Combat from Blade of Darkness mixed with narration from Planescape: Torment.

What he really means:
Combat from Gothic mixed with narration from Diablo 2.

What we can realistically expect:
Combat from Dungeon Siege mixed with narration from Pong.

On a more serious note, from what I've seen of screenshots, the characters do look pretty and their combat pose is somewhat menacing in a "Ooh, look at my shiny sword" kind of way. I might just pick this up, after hearing what the Codex has to say about it after its release.

That is the funniest thing I have heard in ages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom