Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind and open endness..

Proweler

Scholar
Solik said:
For example, Darklands is commonly quoted as a great RPG around here. I tried it out the other day. Its goal communication is essentially nonexistant. I was told a quest by some guy, didn't think to write it down (I'm used to electronic journals these days), and I had no real way of pulling my current quest information back up.

I think that the problem is that you are to lazy/rushe/uncaringd to read what they say. You might call it poor "qeust communication" but it's just poor attention on the part of the gamer.

I reckon the same aplies to Morrowind, if you had been reading what they told you'd know that the reason for finding Casius was to find out why you were released. He told you that you were going to work for the blades and investigate a certain profecy that might be about you.

Then again, the gamer is customer and the customer is king.......

Chefe

Erudite
King: "You are the chosen one to save the kingdom."
Punk: "But I am just a humble farmer. What will I save the kingdom from?"
King: "Demons, vampires, ancient vengeful gods, and giant meteors!"
Punk: "Can you help me out a bit? I might need some combat training."
King: "No. You must go alone and learn the ways of the land."
Punk: "Then can I at least get some armor or a weapon? I'm dressed in a loincloth and my only weapon is this sword hilt."
King: "..."
King: "Now, you must go into the land..."
Punk: "What about a party? Do I get a party? How about your level 80 battlemage or your level 70 warrior?"
King: "You must go into the land and save this kingdom from utter doom and desctruction! Our lives lie in your hands, young HERO."
Punk: "Wait! Can't you at least teach me a spell? A..."
King: "Farewell! Have a nice adventure."

Tintin

Arbiter
No one is going to entrust their kingdom to some idiot with a fucking axe handle.

Yeah, but saying it's stupid for a level 1 guy to be the chosen one and saying it's stupid for them not to train him up are different things.

(and anyways, last time I checked they did advise you in Morrowind to train up and go to that Blades member in Balmora. Okay, it wasn't that much but still.)

bryce777

Erudite
King: "Once you get to level 5, the court jester will join up with you"
Court Jester "You might even have leather armor by then, and we can go kill those pesky rats!"
King"And stop asking for money. Just go kill one of the thousands of brigands in the street! Use the power of save and reload if you get in trouble."

bryce777

Erudite
Tintin said:
No one is going to entrust their kingdom to some idiot with a fucking axe handle.

Yeah, but saying it's stupid for a level 1 guy to be the chosen one and saying it's stupid for them not to train him up are different things.

(and anyways, last time I checked they did advise you in Morrowind to train up and go to that Blades member in Balmora. Okay, it wasn't that much but still.)

I am not talking about morrowind, you idjit.

Why do you come here if only to defend bethesda? Seriously.

Tintin

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
I am not talking about morrowind, you idjit.

Why do you come here if only to defend bethesda? Seriously.

I thought that since this is a thread about Morrowind you might have been. I'm so stupid.

Uh, I wasn't aware that i came here only to defend Bethesda. But whatever.

Chefe

Erudite
Punk: "Man, can I have the court jester now? I keep getting my ass kicked by little bugs."
King: "You must be level 5 for the court jester to join your party."
Punk: "Then can I get some training real quick? At least to level 2?"
King: "My battlemage can train you for 50 gold pieces."
Punk: "I'm saving the empire! Nay, the world! Can't you wave the fee once?"
King: "You must be level 5 for the court jester to join your party."

Human Shield

Augur
Morrowind was free from any interesting consequences and conflict, reactions, and meaningful options.

Its "freedom" was the same as a amusement park, here are the list of rules and proper behavior but you can go on the rides in any order you want.

Section8

Cipher
I think that the problem is that you are to lazy/rushe/uncaringd to read what they say. You might call it poor "qeust communication" but it's just poor attention on the part of the gamer.

I reckon the same aplies to Morrowind, if you had been reading what they told you'd know that the reason for finding Casius was to find out why you were released. He told you that you were going to work for the blades and investigate a certain profecy that might be about you.

That's just not sufficient motivation, and it's bullshit. Sellus Gravius says something like "I have no idea why you're being released, just that Patrick Stewart himself ordered it. Now be a good little monkey and deliver this package."

He doesn't even give you a decent thread to pick at.

Sellus: My background is not important. I'm here to welcome you to Morrowind.

Me: Er, thanks? See ya.

Door: Make sure you talk to Sellus Gravy about 'duties'!

Me: I don't see 'duties' in his wiki topics.

Door: Make sure you talk to Sellus Gravy about 'Morrowind'!

Sellus: Go deliver this package, monkey-boy, so you can get even more orders!

Not to mention it's a direct order from your captors. It's stupid to have such a broad, freeform world, and then tell the player "Go here, do this, just because."

Fuck, even a quest checklist is a better motivator than Morrowind's "plot," but ideally, the player should be able to define their own goals, and know they're going to achieve something, preferably something that has a gameplay effect.

Morrowind was purely self-motivated, it had no carrots. It would be like playing Civ, and having technologies with no effect, they just show up on your character sheet. Why would you be motivated to select any of them?

Proweler

Scholar
Skipping on introductionary lore?

Console Kiddie! :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom